Injury Report: Kris Letang Lower Body Injury (Status: Healed, Back Friday 10-25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
DB doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with me either. But it does seem like he's off the hook for this one. Which is honestly a relief. He can't be that bad. I'd rather BB miss a few games than know Disco hasn't learned a damn thing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
DB doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with me either. But it does seem like he's off the hook for this one. Which is honestly a relief. He can't be that bad. I'd rather BB miss a few games than know Disco hasn't learned a damn thing.

Yep. We can leave it at that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
When was he actually benched? His ice time increased in every game until Tampa.

I'm not even interested in "defending" Bylsma, but let's just make sure we're criticism him for things that have actually happened.

He was benched for a couple of shifts when he passed MAF the puck.

I don't think the kid is a moron and needs punitive messages in the form of missed shifts. A simple "don't pull that **** again Beau" and a warning would of been sufficient.

Maybe he got injured then to I suppose, but the timing of him missing shifts right after that play would of been an amazing coincidence.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It is.

I'm a coach at the collegiate level and have to sit kids all the time who wanna play through injuries. Injuries that they try downplay to the trainers so they can play.

Then you're doing it wrong or don't have a proper medical staff to diagnose injuries.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sad, but I said it at the time: Beau can recover from an injury. This team won't recover from Bylsma providing indisputable evidence that he's learned nothing.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Hopefully he´s back against the Flyers. I don´t mind him sitting a game against the others, but we have to kick Flyers´ ****s while they are down. Flyers´ loss against us could cause an armageddon in Philly. Letang in the lineup instead of Engelland, please!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think he'll be back tomorrow barring a setback from practice today, but they might not announce until tomorrow morning (making sure he feels good a day later / at the morning skate).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So if Letang comes back, who sits? I don't really like the sound of a Nisky-Maatta pairing. Knowing this team Maatta will sit.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If he comes back tomorrow it will probably be Maatta who sits (to protect him more than anything and to get a hard-nosed D in there at the same time). I don't know if they'd send him back though. Engo could just as easily go back to the press box Saturday while Maatta plays.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If he comes back tomorrow it will probably be Maatta who sits (to protect him more than anything and to get a hard-nosed D in there at the same time). I don't know if they'd send him back though. Engo could just as easily go back to the press box Saturday while Maatta plays.

Why would we need to "protect him" against Philly? He needs to play in this type of situation if they want to see if he can handle it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I agree, if he sits then send him back down there is no point keeping him. We have Bortuzzo and Engelland that can play that role of #6-7 and rotate. If Maatta isn't used on a regular pairing send him down

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Why would we need to "protect him" against Philly? He needs to play in this type of situation if they want to see if he can handle it.

Not indefinitely, just at this particular moment when Maatta is very inexperienced, an easy target for a team that's flushing itself down the toilet and likely to try and take out a talented kid with a cheap shot, etc. Wouldn't put it past them if we got a big lead / if Olli potted a goal, etc. They're a pretty desperate bunch right now and will use us as motivation to "bring back Flyer hockey" etc IMO. Especially with Berube at the helm.

If he stays up, play Maatta next game against Philly. Let him see what it's like first, see how they play, then throw him in there. Might actually do him some good to watch the game from above, see how it plays out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not indefinitely, just at this particular moment when Maatta is very inexperienced, an easy target for a team that's flushing itself down the toilet and likely to try and take out a talented kid with a cheap shot, etc. Wouldn't put it past them if we got a big lead / if Olli potted a goal, etc. They're a pretty desperate bunch right now and will use us as motivation to "bring back Flyer hockey" etc IMO. Especially with Berube at the helm.

If he stays up, play Maatta next game against Philly. Let him see what it's like first, see how they play, then throw him in there. Might actually do him some good to watch the game from above, see how it plays out.

I disagree but hear what you are saying.

He only gets a 9 game trial. It's been 6 games against non playoff teams. The Flyers suck this year but at least it's a test in terms of rivalry, crowd, etc. If they really want to see if they should keep him all season, he needs to play against the Flyers. IMO.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I wouldn't think Letang would come back against Philly, but if he's taking a full practice then why not.

I would say Maatta would sit and you'd see Nisky/Bort as the third pairing. But who knows whats up with DB and Bort. Nisky/Maatta will have a hell of a time. Scuderi is doing a lot to insulate Niskanen right now.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'll be pretty pissed if they sit Olli vs the Flyers.

How the hell are our prospects gonna get experience if you don't ****ing play them?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
When Letang is healthy, Niskanen should sit in favor of Bort/Maatta on the 3rd pairing. Martin and either a forward or Letang will be on 1st PP, and Maatta/Letang will probably be the 2nd pairing.

But they probably intend to demote Maatta soon, so I don't expect to see that.

Simply put, we have way too many Dmen who need to play right now to even have Niskanen on this team. We were all happy we kept Niskanen when Letang went down, but at this point, I would rather have Depres or Maatta as the 5th D man than Niskanen. That still leaves us with Dumo in the minors, when he should be our #7D.

Scuderi Letang
Martin Orpik
Depres Bortuzzo
Maatta Dumoulin

Where is there room for Nisky and Engo? You've got 2 bottom 6 spots for 4 guys, it's a logjam without Nisky and Engo.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The aggravating thing is that if Vokoun weren't out (it sucks to lose him for multiple reasons) Shero would have had to move somebody. That would have given us a glimpse into what Shero and co really think of Maatta, Despres, etc. Now he can just keep Niskanen all year if he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad