Injury Report: Kris Letang Lower Body Injury (Status: Healed, Back Friday 10-25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm more interesting in seeing what happens to Maatta than I am in actually seeing Letang play. :laugh:

Add that to the list of things that are more interesting and important than this team's regular season success.

Although it would be nice to see how Scuds and the changes to how we defend affect Letang. He needs to be our third best player this postseason.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Add that to the list of things that are more interesting and important than this team's regular season success.

Although it would be nice to see how Scuds and the changes to how we defend affect Letang. He needs to be our third best player this postseason.

I definitely agree. But we have plenty of time to see Letang. The Maatta situation needs to play out in the very near future.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I definitely agree. But we have plenty of time to see Letang. The Maatta situation needs to play out in the very near future.

Another scenario I wouldn't mind seeing is moving Engelland and going Maatta/Nisky with Bort getting games to keep Maatta fresh for the postseason. Move Nisky when a deal comes along and recall whoever among Despres and Dumoulin is most deserving.

I just don't want to see Maatta get buried in our depth chart. It'll be a jumble **** next year. Even more so if we're bringing back vets. And as we learned last year, DB has some trouble managing personnel when he "has too many options".

I think Olli has earned his chance at the NHL this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just don't see the point in moving Engo. He's a cheap number 7 with little trade value and he won't really help with cap space. Moving Niskanen opens a spot for someone to actually play, saves cap space and could potentially yield a decent return.

Moving Engo is nothing but clearing a roster spot with no other real value. And its not even an active roster spot; its a spot for a kid to sit in the press box.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I just don't see the point in moving Engo. He's a cheap number 7 with little trade value and he won't really help with cap space. Moving Niskanen opens a spot for someone to actually play, saves cap space and could potentially yield a decent return.

Moving Engo is nothing but clearing a roster spot with no other real value. And its not even an active roster spot; its a spot for a kid to sit in the press box.

We have 8 D-men when healthy. Moving any D-man gives us cap space. And if Vokoun stays on LTIR, then we have the flexibility to get through the season while possibly adding a guy at the deadline.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Moving Engo wouldn't be ideal since it would put either an expensive contract (Niskanen) or a young guy (Bortuzzo or Maatta) in the press box but moving Engelland and keeping the others would certainly leave us with our 7 best D.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Moving Engo wouldn't be ideal since it would put either an expensive contract (Niskanen) or a young guy (Bortuzzo or Maatta) in the press box but moving Engelland and keeping the others would certainly leave us with our 7 best D.

I'd be fine with it if it mean a steady role for Maatta. Injuries will happen and Maatta will probably get some games off.

Shero gets his insurance policy in Nisky, HF gets to see Maatta all year. Win Win.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

The trouble is Vokoun will come off LTIR, and then we're back to square 1. We can't trade Engo and keep Nisky, that completely blows up our cap situation. Especially considering anyone that replaces Engo at #7 would probably be more expensive than him by a few hundred k.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The trouble is Vokoun will come off LTIR, and then we're back to square 1. We can't trade Engo and keep Nisky, that completely blows up our cap situation. Especially considering anyone that replaces Engo at #7 would probably be more expensive than him by a few hundred k.
Good point.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Point is, we can stay under the cap by moving any D-man for the time being. If management wants Maatta to stay and not move Nisky unless they have to, then Engelland's the odd man out.

If Vokoun comes back, then they can make their cap maneuver. Until then, they can take calls and hope Nisky ups his trade value.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Point is, we can stay under the cap by moving any D-man for the time being. If management wants Maatta to stay and not move Nisky unless they have to, then Engelland's the odd man out.

If Vokoun comes back, then they can make their cap maneuver. Until then, they can take calls and hope Nisky ups his trade value.
Yeah, I can definitely see them having a cross that bridge when you get there attitude about Vokoun's return. He may not even return. You never know. At the very least it is months away and the Pens will have plenty of time to resolve their cap situation before activating him from LTIR.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, I can definitely see them having a cross that bridge when you get there attitude about Vokoun's return. He may not even return. You never know. At the very least it is months away and the Pens will have plenty of time to resolve their cap situation before activating him from LTIR.

Exactly. I just don't think Shero will move Nisky unless he has to. And he'll have a better idea about Vokoun in the coming months. If he knows he's not coming back at that time, then you don't need to do anything. We'll have enough space to make a move at the deadline without dealing anyone.

And as much as everyone wants to move Nisky, he is a nice guy to have with the history of injuries on our blue line.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Anyone know if Tang practiced this morning? Pens site posted a story that said "Letang not going to rush back" in the last 24 hours, which makes me think he's not playing tonight. Or even this weekend, possibly.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Engo: the new 4th line savior. Glass - Adams - Engo (Gladamgo) coming to a town near you.

Glass and Adams? On the fourth line? What are you crazy? Nope. Those two are our third line wingers.

It's Harry Z-Vitale-Engo, the fourth line of all fourth lines.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I never thought I'd say this, but, please leave the fourth line alone, Bylsma. It's been good.

The end of the world is nigh. And I agree. Just play Engo at the #6D if you're afraid of Philly, with reduced minutes if the game is tight in the 3rd like last time. It's no good for Maatta, but if you feel you must get him in there, do it that way. I actually like this set up as we get to see Maatta with Martin and Scuderi, which is really fun to watch.

I just really want Letang in the lineup at the same time as Maatta, but this can never be, I imagine.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Glass and Adams? On the fourth line? What are you crazy? Nope. Those two are our third line wingers.

Zoltango?

hqdefault.jpg

ENOUGH OF THIS MADNESS! :laugh:

Anyone hear any udpates about Tanger? He was practicing again but didn't sound promising as far as playing tonight.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Well, Bylsma did say Glass could slot in there ... it was just too wretched of a possibility to not happen at some point by the standards of Bylsmalogicâ„¢

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I say rest Tang 1 more game, we got 3 days off after. Monday vs Colorado, then we don't play untill Friday against Isles, then Saturday against Leafs. Rest him another 6 days (well 5 depending where you live).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->