Kris Chucko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperTom

Sep 13, 2005
I´ve never seen Kris Chucko play, so I wonder what type of player he can develop into, could he possibly become a "Brenden Morrow" with a bigger frame or have Calgary found a new Gary Roberts?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
DHawerchuk said:
I´ve never seen Kris Chucko play, so I wonder what type of player he can develop into, could he possibly become a "Brenden Morrow" with a bigger frame or have Calgary found a new Gary Roberts?
The guy doesnt have that high offensive upsides, so he doesnt have the offensive talent of Roberts IMO. He could end up being a 2nd liner, what he lacks in offense he does make up in physicalness etc, good 3rd liner i think.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
DHawerchuk said:
I'm still not sold on Chucko's offensive ability. Take a look at some of the second seasons in junior of these power forwards:

Gary Roberts, Ottawa 67's
1983-84: 48 Games Played
27 Goals, 30 Assists, 57 Points
17 Years Old

Brenden Morrow, Portland Winterhawks
1996-97: 71 Games Played
39 Goals, 49 Assists, 88 Points
17 Years Old

Heck, look at late-developer Mike Knuble...

Mike Knuble, University of Michigan
1992-93, 39 Games Played
26 Goals, 16 Assists, 42 Points
20 Years Old

Now look at Kris Chucko...

Kris Chucko, University of Minnesota
2005-06 (in progress): 16 Games Played
2 Goals, 7 Assists, 9 Points
19 Years Old

I'm not saying that Chucko will be a bust but I'm a little unsure about his offensive potential. He looks a lot closer to a guy like Eric Nystrom than someone like Adam Deadmarsh to me. Minnesota seems like a team that is somewhat struggling in the early season but Chucko is currently being outscored by four forwards and two defencemen...

Transported Upstater

Cerebral said:
I'm still not sold on Chucko's offensive ability. Take a look at some of the second seasons in junior of these power forwards:

Gary Roberts, Ottawa 67's
1983-84: 48 Games Played
27 Goals, 30 Assists, 57 Points
17 Years Old

Brenden Morrow, Portland Winterhawks
1996-97: 71 Games Played
39 Goals, 49 Assists, 88 Points
17 Years Old

Heck, look at late-developer Mike Knuble...

Mike Knuble, University of Michigan
1992-93, 39 Games Played
26 Goals, 16 Assists, 42 Points
20 Years Old

Now look at Kris Chucko...

Kris Chucko, University of Minnesota
2005-06 (in progress): 16 Games Played
2 Goals, 7 Assists, 9 Points
19 Years Old

I'm not saying that Chucko will be a bust but I'm a little unsure about his offensive potential. He looks a lot closer to a guy like Eric Nystrom than someone like Adam Deadmarsh to me. Minnesota seems like a team that is somewhat struggling in the early season but Chucko is currently being outscored by four forwards and two defencemen...

I don't think the Flames drafted him with offense on their minds, and if they did, they are sorely mistaken.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Chucko didn't come to the U to work on his scoring. I'm sure he'd be happier with more points, but that's not how I'd judge this season.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
You cant compare numbers from leagues. And even the NCAA of the early 90s is no where near as good as the NCAA of the last 4-5 years. Chucko would have put better Rasmussen numbers if he even played in the late 90s. And not the year Eric found the box way way too much. Chucko is much better than Rsmussen but they play simular styles. Only Chucko is more aggresive and physical a better skater this year and faster this year. He is also a better leader.

Randall Graves*

DHawerchuk said:
Iginla.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
The next.....Tyler Bouck.

in all seriousness though, it wasn't a wise pick. Chucko would have been a mid 2nd round pick, but Calgary thought they saw something...well, Sutter thought he saw something.

But as we all know, Sutter sometimes forgets you have to put the puck in the net to score goals. He as typical of Calgary as one could get, hard worker, grinds, little offensive upside, it's not just that he's not producing right now, the upside just isn't there.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Have you seen Chucko play? He cylcles well, goes to the net hard, isn't affraid to stand in front of the crease and get worked over. His offensive upside isn't pretty but a 25 goal season is well within his reach. I would see him topping out, if he makes it, as a 40-60 point guy. If his hard work in the corners creates assists and he gets a few bounces in front 40-60 is very attainable.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
MN_Gopher said:
Have you seen Chucko play? He cylcles well, goes to the net hard, isn't affraid to stand in front of the crease and get worked over. His offensive upside isn't pretty but a 25 goal season is well within his reach. I would see him topping out, if he makes it, as a 40-60 point guy. If his hard work in the corners creates assists and he gets a few bounces in front 40-60 is very attainable.

yeah, I'd say around 50 points, with mostly assists if he was pulling 2nd line. next to nothing on third, maybe a draper-clone in the making.

I just think there were obvious better picks to make, and that Sutter was just being pig-headed and taking a player he thought might be a sleeper, so he looked smart. That's just the vibe I get from Sutter.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Attica said:
But as we all know, Sutter sometimes forgets you have to put the puck in the net to score goals. .
yup. that Sutter he sure is one dumb farmer

edit: by all accounts there was more than one team eyeing Chucko...by the end of the first round, there isn't alot of gold left, if you want a guy, and other teams do as well...just take him....at least they traded down and secured the Boyd and Prust picks

obviously we can debate the Schremp pick until the cows come home...Schremp looks good for sure, but one version has even EDM wanting Chucko over him

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
looooob said:
yup. that Sutter he sure is one dumb farmer

Well, I've heard they're going to start giving out goals for displays of good ol' fashion elbow grease. Sutter just spooged all over his dockers.

southpaw

Dec 31, 2003
MN_Gopher said:

You're right about "isn't afraid to stand in front of the crease and get worked over" if you actually meant he wil cheapshot an opponent if he gets hit.

From what I've watched of Chucko since he's played at UMN, he's been less than what most people expected of him. I think with the schedule the Gophers have had so far this year, he should have more points that what he's put up. He also has a knack for giving a good two handed whack and taking a dumb penalty.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Attica said:
next to nothing on third, maybe a draper-clone in the making.

This statement right here shows me you have no idea what you are talking about when commenting about Chucko. His game is completely different than Draper...totally different.

Brent Burns Beard