Kreider & Stepan Have To Start Playing Mean

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Inferno, Oct 25, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Inferno

Inferno Registered User

Web Design, Marketing.
    Home Page:
    One thing Ive noticed from these 2 guys, when they start hitting people, I mean really hitting people, they get more involved in all aspects of the game. It seems to get their juices flowing. When theyre trying to be skilled Datyukian players, they epic fail. The best games ive seen these guys play have almost always included a big hit or two early in the game to get them going...and I'm not talking about just a regular old check, Im talking a big time hit that puts a guy on his ass.

2. The Lunatic Fridge

The Lunatic Fridge why is my name here?

Kreider already smashed someone. Too bad it was his own teamate :sarcasm:

3. Mikos87

Mikos87 Registered User

Home Page:
    They aren't going to play that way unless they have guys that will have their backs. Same applies for any hockey player.

Players will confidently in put their body on the line if they know the next guy will do the same, and will step up in case something happens. That's hockey. It's what its been, and what it always will be.

When you take a roster packed with guys that were warriors out there, every game, night in, night out, who had a pack mentality, and weren't going to surrender an inch, and you take that and replace it with some sissy soft euroleague frenchie bull****, and only back it up with a shorty that takes a good beating.... well you can't blame Stepan, Kreider, and the rest of the guys for not playing physical.

People are products of their environment. And since the Rangers have been all about making excuses, well I figure I might as well join in the act.

4. Raspewtin

Raspewtin gucci flip flops

Compensation Analyst
    I would love if Kreider played like a bully, it would make him 10x more effective. He's a physical freak of nature that is not afraid of contact, I wish he'd always play nasty.

Stepan, no. He doesn't have the body to play like that, and I'm fine with this non-physicality from him as long as he stays healthy and puts points up.

5. BroadwayBlues

BroadwayBlues oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They'll play like that once in awhile but neither of them are that type of player.

6. Green Blob*

Green Blob* Guest

Stepan has been playing? I thought he was still holding out on a contract.

7. Crease

Crease Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court

You can add those two to a plethora of guys on the team that before each shift should think about all the people who have been mean to them over the years.

8. Joe11

Joe11 Registered User

Actually his contract allowed him to coast for the 1st 10 games.

Playing mean? got to be kidding- the main part of his game is avoiding being bodychecked, at all costs

9. JohnC

JohnC Registered User

Stepan's holdout ended right before the regular season. He's played in every regular season game so far

10. ajdj10

ajdj10 Registered User

Stepan needs to go Heisenberg and shave his head, then he'll be mean. And then some.

11. JCrusher*

JCrusher* Registered User

We dont need them to be goons we just need them to produce some offense since besides richards are really the 2 guys we are counting on with all the injuries. Kreider had a lot of hits in the philly game and he was using his body well

12. stan the caddy

stan the caddy Registered User

Should put some dents in the team bus too

13. haveandare

haveandare Registered User

Stepan needs to start playing with Hagelin and/or Nash. Step doesn't "epically fail" playing a skill game - he just needs the right players to play that game with. We saw it almost all of last year.

14. wolfgaze

wolfgaze Interesting Cat Sponsor

The person you quoted was being sarcastic....

15. HockeyBurd*

HockeyBurd* Guest

The person you quoted doesn't know what that is.

16. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Registered User

Oh reeeeally? :laugh:

17. chosen

chosen Registered User

The one guy I won't get on at this point is Stepan. He missed training camp for what he thought was a good reason and I don't disagree with that reason.

He is also possibly the best young forward this organization has brought in since Kovalev. If his play doesn't improve, I'll join the bashing wagon, but for now, I reserve all my bashing for Sather, who remains one of the most inept GMs I have ever seen in any sport.

He owes his entire career as a GM to having the good fortune of having Gretzky and Messier dropped at his doorstep. Rangers fans are the ones paying for his good fortune.

On another note, I would like Kreider to display any reason at all to keep him in the NHL, at this point.

18. KreidertheGlider

KreidertheGlider MDZ for NYR Blueline

I think it's the other way around for Kreider. He is playing well so he starts hitting well too.

19. Graves94

Graves94 Registered User

Agree 100% with this^^

On Kreider, I will personally give him a pass until he gets a true chance with this team. What I mean is, for him to produce, he must play at least 10-15 games (good or bad) top 6 minutes with top 6 forwards (yeah very hard to find on this team, especially now with all these injuries). I will give him a pass because he has produced in the playoffs especially 2 yrs ago, and to me that gives him a lot of leeway, especially over others currently on this team.
    I've said this from day one regarding Kreider, that he reminded me of Pacioretty from the Habs. Same build, American, first round pick and highly touted. Patch bounced around for a few yrs between Mtl and Hamilton (Habs AHL team), and he got fed up and actually told the media that if he was going to be called up and NOT play on the top 2 lines he'd rather stay in the AHL the whole year, because he was a top 6 player, and needed to play in that role in the NHL for him to succeed. Of course that caused an uproar in Montreal, but hey, the guy was right, he needed to be in the right environment to succeed! Now, he's arguably Montreal's top offensive player. Hope the same happens with Kreider.
    On Stepan, let's relax here, he also started slow last year, and I believe the year before, so let's wait before we run him out of town! Especially since he missed training camp and hasn't really played with any top line players yet.

20. JCrusher*

JCrusher* Registered User

I agree he has only played 1 game. So far he has done well. he didnt score a goal but he had a assits, a lot of hits, he chased down pucks and crashed the net

21. Savant

Savant Registered User

I don't know if AV does "play mean".

22. SingnBluesOnBroadway

SingnBluesOnBroadway Retired

Awards:
    The whole team needs to play with some sort of emotion.

23. Wolfy*

Wolfy* Guest

You mean something like this? :laugh:

[​IMG]

24. Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Brooklyn Rangers Fan Change is good.

Inferno, I think you made a mistake saying they need to play "mean." I would have said something more to the effect of "play physical" or "play with an edge" or "take the play to the other team". Mean always introduces the stupid old violence, beat 'em up crap.

I do agree that both players play better when they're taking the body and would love to see both doing it more. Having said that, some of that comes with being more in sync - being locked in to the point where you are anticipating the play and you're coming to the guy with the puck and in position to hit him at the right time and not a second too late. Kreider I think can initiate more if he would just stop freakin' thinking about the game and play it. For Step, he needs to get his timing right - I think missing training camp is having an impact on him here.

25. shinchanuuhh

shinchanuuhh Registered User

Normandy
    Nobody would benefit more than Kreider and Boyle. Boyle when he plays mean and acts like a bully can actually impose himself on other men<---well that's odd wording. But we've seen him take a guy like EK completely out of a PO series. He's smart, defensively responsible, a little bit of a leader and can be a complete bully on the ice. CK is young and I've seen him hit and be nasty a few times. Hopefully that continues to come it'll make him a real treat to watch for many years.