Dreger: Kreider and the Rangers unable to agree on a contract, likely to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Rangers primary objective should be to shed salary.

Why's that? If the Rangers could extend Kreider for 6x6.5 that is money well spent--he could be a big part of the retooling--and that contract wouldn't be a beast. If he won't budge on 7x7.5 then you have a point. I still think the Rangers could sneak into the playoffs and surprise some teams. Shesterkin looks unbeatable right now--sometimes these young goalies get hot and go on a miracle run--look at Binnington last year.

Reactions: bernmeister

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Why's that? If the Rangers could extend Kreider for 6x6.5 that is money well spent--he could be a big part of the retooling--and that contract wouldn't be a beast. If he won't budge on 7x7.5 then you have a point. I still think the Rangers could sneak into the playoffs and surprise some teams. Shesterkin looks unbeatable right now--sometimes these young goalies get hot and go on a miracle run--look at Binnington last year.

I understand the fantasy and that is the beauty of sports. The likelihood of that happening is quite rare.

Would you rather the Rangers gain assets back in a package from a Kreider deal (hopefully involving a 1st+) to aid them in trading for a Top 6 scoring threat eventually, and to also have between 6-7 million dollars in cap space already preallocated for that player or other commitments, or just re-sign him?

I have been a Rangers fan my entire life. I have seen who Kreider is. I like him as a player, but at this juncture and where the Rangers are financially, they need to continue doing the right thing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Everyone keeps acting liking the Rangers are lowballing Kreider solely over concerns about how he will age. The Rangers are getting hit hard next year by Shattenkirk’s buy out penalty, their total penalty is 7.5m, and a bought out Lundqvist still has a 5,5m cap hit. Add the fact that Deangelo, Strome, Lemieux and Georgiev will be RFAs with arbitration rights and the Rangers have a terrible cap crunch to negotiate. The Rangers could very much want to keep Kreider but can’t make his salary fit next year.

The most frustrating thing for the team must be that it would be much easier to keep him if he became a UFA after next season. Hank will be gone, their buy penalties only total 2.5m and the salary cap will have obviously increased in both off-seasons. I’m guessing the Rangers simply can’t make the numbers work now unless Kreider took a very team friendly deal.

I’ve been waiting for St. Louis or Dallas to swoop in and grab Kreider to put themselves in a very powerful position for a Cup run.

Still waiting....

hoping for extending, but DAL would be interesting

This guy better be moved today. The Rangers primary objective should be to shed salary.

Salary relative to production is a measure of value.

Not all salary/production is equal value.
Move Skjei, Buch and a coupla other vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->