Dreger: Kreider and the Rangers unable to agree on a contract, likely to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
All I'll say is: if @JoemAvs is right, and the Rangers want to be done with him because the word is out about power forwards being dead weight by age 30, then rental-Kreider should be available on the cheap--I don't see what's wrong with the Avs buying low and letting him walk in the summer.

I don't really think that's a realistic take on the situation, but what do I know.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
1) Gordie Howe

2) Jaromir Jagr

3) Claude Lemiuex

4) Shane Doan

I named 4 should I keep going? These guys also played well into their 40's

This notion of power forwards not aging well couldn't be more off. When these guys are actually some of the people to play the longest

Obviously those players are more skilled but im comparing physical styles power forwards with speed. When they slow down they rely on their strength and typically these type of players are the ones who last over compared to a player who is just speed and skill reliant
They fell off a CLIFF from their peak, also, which one of their games was predicated on speed?

Try addressing the whole original post

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
All I'll say is: if @JoemAvs is right, and the Rangers want to be done with him because the word is out about power forwards being dead weight by age 30, then rental-Kreider should be available on the cheap--I don't see what's wrong with the Avs buying low and letting him walk in the summer.

I don't really think that's a realistic take on the situation, but what do I know.
That might affect is FA suitors, it doesn't affect his value now. He's still an in-his-prime power forward who's been on a ppg kick for months. He's not going to drop off in the last 20 games because he'll be "dead weight". He's playing the best hockey of his life. He's going to be expensive.

Reactions: nightonthesun

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
While taller, bigger, Chara is a comp who was always more power than speed but had some wheels based on his power in his youth. Zdeno is now 40+ yrs of age. It is an adjustment, but he could go there. Shockingly, after most gave him up mobility wise like 2 yrs ago, he's reemerged a bit on his skating, inexplicably.

I am now pushing for 5 yrs at 8 per.
Would take the 7 x 7
either way, we are looking at mid 30s.

Rule: 90+ % of guys don't hack that, but Kreider, who famously jumps out of a pool from a frickin standing start, looks like a rare exception to the rule.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The Rangers shouldn't trade him if some doesn't hand them a generous overpayment. They're only 4 points away from a playoff position and have been impressive lately.

then they lose him for nothing. Can’t do that

Meanwhile, the Rangers run rate for giving up shots on goal is 2nd worst in the league (run rate b/c Rangers have a few games in hand)

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
They fell off a CLIFF from their peak, also, which one of their games was predicated on speed?

Try addressing the whole original post

Well of course their game eventually fell off a peak. Father time always wins but they played very well into their mid 30's. Hell Jagr's best years were after that.

Kreiders game is also based around his strength not just speed. Like most of those players early in their career's speed was a huge part of it.

Of late CK has learned to be very strong with the puck, being tough to know down as very strong in front of the net.

When he does lose his elite speed he could still be effective using his strength which is something he got much better at.

A guy like Lucic who everyone loves to compare him to, never had Kreiders speed so once he lost a step he became way to slow.

Anything can happen, but people saying that this type of player can't last into his mid 30's is just not correct.

In fact its almost the complete opposite, as many of the players who have had the longest nhl career were built in this mold. Not saying Kreider will.

Ignore the and spelling mistakes im still pissed about the burnt omelette

Reactions: klingsor

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
So who takes Kreider at this point? Caps out, Isles out, Pens out...

Bruins or Colorado would be the top 2 now right?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Name one power forward whose game is predicated on speed that aged well into his mid or late 30s...

That contract will be regrettable

That said, kreiders the type of player that will be a huge impact player or a ghost. Depending on where he goes and how well he fits in to the new team
Name 1 recent "power forward" Kreider plays a similar game to?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yup cluelessly objective. He’s a good player not a top line winger who is gonna produce 30 or more goals almost every season.
NHL is hurting for 1st line players then. I mean, when you take away centers, there wasn't enough 1st line wingers to fill up half the teams last season.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina

Joe Sakic, is that you? Stop bargain bin shopping and be more like your GM when you were playing :naughty:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Everyone keeps acting liking the Rangers are lowballing Kreider solely over concerns about how he will age. The Rangers are getting hit hard next year by Shattenkirk’s buy out penalty, their total penalty is 7.5m, and a bought out Lundqvist still has a 5,5m cap hit. Add the fact that Deangelo, Strome, Lemieux and Georgiev will be RFAs with arbitration rights and the Rangers have a terrible cap crunch to negotiate. The Rangers could very much want to keep Kreider but can’t make his salary fit next year.

The most frustrating thing for the team must be that it would be much easier to keep him if he became a UFA after next season. Hank will be gone, their buy penalties only total 2.5m and the salary cap will have obviously increased in both off-seasons. I’m guessing the Rangers simply can’t make the numbers work now unless Kreider took a very team friendly deal.

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
So who takes Kreider at this point? Caps out, Isles out, Pens out...

Bruins or Colorado would be the top 2 now right?
I’ve been waiting for St. Louis or Dallas to swoop in and grab Kreider to put themselves in a very powerful position for a Cup run.

Still waiting....

Reactions: bernmeister

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if the return is not as good as expected....especially as we're getting closer to the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad