Confirmed with Link: Kraken sign Jamie Oleksiak (5 x 4.6M)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Unless Dave Hakstol has performed some kind of miraculous transformation since his last head coaching gig, we were already getting low event hockey anyway. Might as well lean into it and try to be as successful with it as possible.
I know, I said it when he was selected as coach. Appears that is Francis' plan, this is just conformation before the expansion draft.

Edit: Low event hockey it is....
Seattle Kraken roster tracker: Latest updates, rumors on 2021 NHL Expansion Draft picks

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Great signing and shows that Francis understands the importance of stability out of the gate. Slight overpay, but Seattle doesn't have assets to give up in trade.

Very few D in the league possess Oleksiak's range with physicality. You'll love him.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Great signing and shows that Francis understands the importance of stability out of the gate. Slight overpay, but Seattle doesn't have assets to give up in trade.

Very few D in the league possess Oleksiak's range with physicality. You'll love him.

As long as Hakstol doesn't try to make him play like some big bruiser (if he does Oleksiak will absolutely get caught out of position constantly to make a hit) and pairs him with a more defensive-minded partner, Oleksiak can be a solid puck carrier and will not hesitate to take the puck in deep. Though it's not likely much will come from that since his passing is not great.

Seems to have a highlight reel goal every couple of seasons though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
people forget that Vegas was also dismissed based on their initial roster as a bunch of outcasts. I think the Kraken make the playoffs in their first season.
Low event hockey doesn't mean losing hockey, look at the Islanders. It just means boring hockey to watch. Don't expect anyone on this team to be on the NHL scoring leaders list.

The team needs to spend $10M just to get to the cap floor. We'll see how Francis spends that money. Hopefully some scoring help, or it's gonna be hard to watch games.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Low event hockey doesn't mean losing hockey, look at the Islanders. It just means boring hockey to watch. Don't expect anyone on this team to be on the NHL scoring leaders list.

The team needs to spend $10M just to get to the cap floor. We'll see how Francis spends that money. Hopefully some scoring help, or it's gonna be hard to watch games.

Not necessarily. I think a lot of teams with lack of high-end skill (like us) will play a physical, high energy and hard-checking game. They may not score that much but I certainly enjoy games like that.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I like the signing. We won't be fun to play against but we need a true number one goalie for those 2 to 1 yawner games.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Welcome to the NHL Kraken

Capture.PNG

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Regarding low-event hockey... The late 90's/early 00's Devils were an amazing watch. In fact, it was that Devil's era that took me from being a casual hockey fan to it being my favorite sport.

Regarding Oleksiak, I'm pretty stoked. I didn't watch too many Stars games this year, but last year I saw quite a few and he really stood out as an outstanding player in the games I watched. He'd have been my pick from the Stars if I was GM. I'd probably have paid him around the same as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Regarding low-event hockey... The late 90's/early 00's Devils were an amazing watch. In fact, it was that Devil's era that took me from being a casual hockey fan to it being my favorite sport.
Good God no. The league had to change the way interference was called because of that team. I thought the Western Conference was way more entertaining back then. Give me an Avs/Wings matchup any day...

Watching a winning team is more entertaining than watching a losing team, no matter what the system is. With this roster, there's really no other way to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad