Confirmed with Link: Kraken sign Driedger. 3 x 3.5M

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Think Driedger is a bit overrated right now. But I imagine they got scared by Carey Price's surgery and decided to stay away from him.
I think nobody expect Driedger to be like Price. The idea for the Kraken was almost always to sign a 1A/1B and rotate them or ride the hot hand. Driedger at 3.5M + Kahkonen at 0.725M + Vanecek at 0.716 combined cost less than half of what Price does.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think nobody expect Driedger to be like Price. The idea for the Kraken was almost always to sign a 1A/1B and rotate them or ride the hot hand. Driedger at 3.5M + Kahkonen at 0.725M + Vanecek at 0.716 combined cost less than half of what Price does.

Like mentioned in my mock draft, I think we'll go 1A/1B but that other guy might not be Kahkonen or Vanecek but rather a more established guy.

I had us taking Raanta(signed during this window) because I'd want a more established guy behind Driedger given the small sample size of his NHL career so far.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

We are going to need a veteran though regardless to be starter or back up. Taking two young goalies isnt a great idea.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Paying for one vs taking a 2nd vet at the draft at no expense.
There is no such thing as no expense. Even if we pick a vet in the expansion draft, he is still getting paid. How is that different from targeting another one in FA. Or making a trade for one at a later time with one of our surplus assets from the expansion draft.

Personally, I feel very comfortable going in with Driedger/Vanecek/Kahkonen. They have small sample sizes but have atleast shown that they can be atleast league average goalies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There is no such thing as no expense. Even if we pick a vet in the expansion draft, he is still getting paid. How is that different from targeting another one in FA. Or making a trade for one at a later time with one of our surplus assets from the expansion draft.

Personally, I feel very comfortable going in with Driedger/Vanecek/Kahkonen. They have small sample sizes but have atleast shown that they can be atleast league average goalies.

I mean give up an asset to a team for a vet goalie.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I mean give up an asset to a team for a vet goalie.

I hear you. But by picking a vet goalie in the expansion you are also missing out on skaters unless said goalie is the best exposed resource on the team. Who did you have in mind to get in the expansion draft as our vet goalie? Holtby? Price? Interested in what vet goalies you would like to target in the expansion that you think would be better than the 1A/1B/1C tandem. Please don't say Price or Holtby.

Reactions: brewski420

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
How is this cat? He any good? Could someone give a breakdown on him? Thanks in advance if you choose to do so.

ultradan

hello fellow kids
Mar 21, 2010
Like mentioned in my mock draft, I think we'll go 1A/1B but that other guy might not be Kahkonen or Vanecek but rather a more established guy.

I had us taking Raanta(signed during this window) because I'd want a more established guy behind Driedger given the small sample size of his NHL career so far.

When Raanta is on his game, he's a great goalie - he's pretty much glass at this point though, and isn't reliable enough in my mind to consider making an offer to.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Dreidger, Vanacek, Kahkonen. Total cap hit is 4.9M

If none of the three can hold the net, you can upgrade via free agency or trade. Goalies always hit the market and cost isn't high unless you're talking Gibson/Hellebuyck level. Vanacek and Kahkonen are RFA after this season, so if none of them manage to hold the net, Dreidger becomes a backup/1B with just two years left at 3.5M, which isn't a back breaker. Definitely wouldn't take one of the higher priced older goalies in this draft.

Save the cap room. Grab young guys with high upside (not all, but some of): Bean, Lauzon, Clague, Bellows, Appleton, Gauthier. Give them a chance to breakout on a team where they're not blocked by vets. Bellows has 6 goals and 65 hits through 22 NHL games at 20 years old? Kid could definitely be poised for a 20 goal season while bringing physicality. Appleton could be a Karlsson-esque breakout (won't have a 78 point season, but Karlsson was a 24 year old with a career high 24 points when Vegas took him, now he's a key cog in a very successful top-six). Bean could easily be a middle-pair 40 point Dman sooner than later and QB a PP.

Take the obvious guys like Gourde, maybe Zucker, McCann, Jarnkrok.

Use the cap space to target guys who are actually wanted and not just the cast offs that couldn't be protected. Landeskog, Danault, Larsson, etc.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Nah Driedger will breakout and become a star, thats my prediction.

Reactions: Le Cobra

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Great pickup. Had good stats behind a suspect florida defense. Kraken have a really steady looking D so he should be a tandem starter here.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Price is overrated, old, and expensive. His stats the past few years in the regular season have been below average. Extremely happy with dreidger

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I still don't understand why Driedger was the FLA pick as a UFA, when they could have secured a cost controlled offensive player like Vatrano and still signed Driedger on the market. This, the whole Dillon/Vanacek/picks mess, and the complete lack of expansion draft protection deals, leaves me a lot less excited about this franchise than I was initially. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It's amazing to me how such small moves have created so many blanket regarding loss of interest and of trust in an GM's ability to perform when a team hasn't played a single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->