Kraken off the table

Discussion in 'Seattle Kraken' started by DougieMellon, Mar 27, 2019.

1. REMINDER: Political Discussion is NOT PERMITTED
    Dismiss Notice
  1. larueskee Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Health Care
    The reason I say it because I look at the photos and understand the process and Seattle's abysmal construction history. If they hadn't decided to keep that roof the project would be near completion. Since the start that roof has been in the way. Next June that building was supposed to be a candidate for the NHL entry draft. That is just 12 months away and no way that building is ready in 12 months. Right now they are still working on the many buttresses ( a photo of last weeks work below ). Sure everyone might be saying its on schedule and they might even believe it themselves but consider that a once a 3700 square foot home has a foundation you have about 12 months more of a build. Homes also don't have a indoor ice surface and everything that is going into this building. This thing doesn't have its foundation complete yet. The project has 16 months to complete prior to the start of 2021-2022 season. No way the lady basketball teams start their season there next June. So here was the big pride and joy of last week. It is a impressive concrete block.

[​IMG]

2. larueskee Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Health Care
    The reason I say it because I look at the photos and understand the process and Seattle's abysmal construction history. If they hadn't decided to keep that roof the project would be near completion. Since the start that roof has been in the way. Next June that building was supposed to be a candidate for the NHL entry draft. That is just 12 months away and no way that building is ready in 12 months. Right now they are still working on the many buttresses ( a photo of last weeks work below ). Sure everyone might be saying its on schedule and they might even believe it themselves but consider that a once a 3700 square foot home has a foundation you have about 12 months more of a build. Homes also don't have a indoor ice surface and everything that is going into this building. This thing doesn't have its foundation complete yet. The project has 16 months to complete prior to the start of 2021-2022 season. No way the lady basketball teams start their season there next June. So here was the big pride and joy of last week. It is a impressive concrete block.
    [​IMG]

3. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Don't you need to post it twice. And like i said OVG said its on time. There is a lot more work going on than just concrete pouring. What yo don't see is on the other side of the arena where the steel frame is getting installed.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. RainyCityHockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    @larueskee

OVG is still talking about everything being on time and like @gstommylee wrote you can't see much on that picture given that other parts are blocked by the roof.

Also, the tough job is actually the digging and building those walls actually doesn't take that long.
    So I wouldn't be surprised to see fast(and visble) improvement on that with interior work than taking actually a bit longer than building those walls.

All things considered, I don't think it's impossible to finish the arena for next years expansion/entry draft, expecially thanks to the current circumstances which will undoubtedly push back the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons and give us more time to finish the building.

CHRDANHUTCH likes this.
  5. larueskee Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Health Care
    I have been mentioning on forums long prior to the covid that construction would not finish on time for reasons obvious. Covid only cost construction 2 days of work here in Seattle. It is important to understand that OVG would never report publicly on any delays. However I am sure the NHL is closely monitoring the situation and needs to know long before any public announcements. If the building can't be completed on time it throws off the expansion draft, any trades that would start to be made/explored as soon as next season starts, whenever that is. The fact that a name has not been announced or seat locations is also up in the air this late is also of concern. There is nothing behind that photo other than a pile of dirt. They have yet to begin any foundation work of substance, may still be digging, and that means no walls are close to being built. A lot of concrete is to be used and each time they pour that concrete requires weeks to " cure ". I hope the league allows the franchise a temporary location until work is completed if in fact the work is not finished on time. I would suggest you continue to monitor the construction process as I have.

6. RainyCityHockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I've got one question.

Do you really think the NHL would be quite if they knew that the arena is in no way being finished for the start of the 2021-22 season?

Also, I'm pretty sure we've got more time than expected, given that the 2020-21 season won't start before December/January and therefore the season after won't start in time as well.

Though, as we're both not working on the project and don't have the inside track we'll probably have to wait and see anyways. ;)

7. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh we been getting plenty of updates on where things are at. They do have media tours of the construction work now and then. And btw that image is basically just about 2 weeks out dated.

The digging and demoing is done has been for a month. The seats and the name is irrelevant as it relates to construction work.

8. Emerald Coast Based

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Keyboard Warrior
    I was partial to that name.

9. larueskee Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Health Care
    I don't think anyone involved in the construction would offer anything in information right now. The team, league and contractor have to be concerned as the structure isn't even up. Summer should help move things faster but even when the actual structure is up there is a awful lot of work in finishing out a building of this size. Someone has been building a storage facility in my area and that structure has taken 3 years from the dig to today and it still is not open. Do you remember the tunnel dig or the light rail work? I suggest you do a search on all of the delays in the WADOT transportation projects over the years. Remember too that this project was already delayed once. Seattle's first season was originally supposed to start this coming October.

10. larueskee Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Health Care
    Back to naming the team. Would any of you enjoy naming the team the Supersonics? Using some form of their team colors?

11. CHRDANHUTCH Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    THAT'S RESERVED for if or when the NBA elects to return there, now remember, Seattle still has an extra tenant for Key, the Seattle Storm, WHO were split off from the Sonics....

12. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That'll never happen.

CHRDANHUTCH likes this.
  13. RainyCityHockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The ownership group had the idea of a 2020 start but that was a longshot from the beginning and they made the deal to start in 2021 which helps with the building.

Other than that, you're speculating on things(like all of us) without real facts.

So let's see what happens.
    Though, I'm pretty sure the league's keeping tabs and will make clear that they want this to be completed in time.
    And if it isn't we'll hear off it, cause those things wouldn't be kept hidden for too long.

Yeah sure.
    The next step would be to file for re-location cause that would go over really well with sports fans in Seattle.....

14. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Btw public state projects always tend to have delays here and there. That isn't new.

CHRDANHUTCH likes this.
  15. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh btw can we keep the arena construction status and what not to the pinned thread above and leave this to names and what not.

Interior Cascadian likes this.
  16. Interior Cascadian Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Environmental Scientist
    f*** no.

KINGS17 likes this.
  17. PhillyWings Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 5,000
    Producer
  18. Myllz RELEASE THE KRAKEN

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    IT Management
    Colors yes, name no. The NBA will return to Seattle at some point, so the SuperSonics name should stay available for when that happens. I'm for using the greens and blues from the SuperSonics/Seahawks/Sounders/Mariners, though.

19. Anaheim4ever Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The Seattle Greta's. Given their arena name.

FacepalmBenning likes this.
  20. larueskee Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Health Care
    Could the delay of a name have anything to do with the Coyotes situation? Remember Seattle almost got the Coyotes a few seasons ago but read this paragraph from a article dated April 20 of 2020.

Arizona Coyotes Still Have No New Arena Plans

While the new owner, Alex Meruelo who is worth $2 billion, has high aspirations to get a new arena built in the eastern valley, the current world events may change that plan. Mr. Meruelo is a successful businessman with interests in entertainment, gaming and hospitality, construction, real estate, banking, and food services. Many of those ventures are now closed down due to the Coronavirus lock-downs. It remains unclear how much revenue he will lose or be reimbursed for to offset losses.
    According to an article in Sports Illustrated, several sources – including former Thrashers President Dr. Harvey Schiller covered what may have been promised Meruelo. He told JohnWallStreet that they believe Bettman has promised Meruelo that the “owners will do whatever is necessary to help him turn the franchise around and make some money.” ; including allowing him to move the team sooner if he’s unable to get a new building in the Phoenix market. Schiller said, “no one would buy that franchise unless they were assured there was a way it would stop losing money.

Story link: Arizona Coyotes Arena Situation Even More Pressing With Shutdown

21. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The Coyotes are not relocating any time soon.

22. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    And even if they were, they have nothing to do with Seattle. Seattle is getting the expansion team.

23. Interior Cascadian Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Environmental Scientist
    Agreed. If, big IF they were, it widely sounds like Houston would be their destination. But the NHL and new owner have been very firm in trying to anchor the Coyotes to Arizona.

24. gstommylee Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Having an couple billion dollar own with $$$ makes a heck of a difference in terms of a new building.

25. canuckfan75 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Seattle Thunderbird's is that the name? lots of people saying it is . because of the pandemic the Thunderbird owners are open to selling the name as they need $$$$