Kraken off the table

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So when is the name going to be announced? I thought it was going to be the All star break. Beginning of the upcoming season? How early before the VGK joined did they announce their name?

Edit: it looks like Vegas announced their team name in November the year before they began play, so it seems likely that if hockey resumes this fall that they would do it at that point.

No one knows exactly when the name will be announced.
It first was around the all-star break, then they supposedly didn't want to interfere with the event and release it in March, then in April and .......

Though, they've said they could announce it but are waiting for the situation in Seattle and the State of Washington to be more stable then it is at this point.

Anyways, I hope they can finally announce the name, colour schemes and jerseys(and also at what point they're going to sell them) cause we're about a year away from the expansion draft and this would actually bring some excitement and would distract people a bit from this currently sh*** situation.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
keep-calm-and-release-the-kraken.png

Reactions: Flyer lurker

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Can someone fill me in on the fascination with Kraken?

The most obvious would be Sockeyes, and while everyone is bitching about it on social media now, a few months after the name is out people will move on from it.

Twitter wasn't around when the rest of the league named their teams. Can you imagine all the bitching and moaning then? And we got used to the names.

Everything is under a microscope now because of social media.

Reactions: MosDef

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can someone fill me in on the fascination with Kraken?

The most obvious would be Sockeyes, and while everyone is bitching about it on social media now, a few months after the name is out people will move on from it.

Twitter wasn't around when the rest of the league named their teams. Can you imagine all the bitching and moaning then? And we got used to the names.

Everything is under a microscope now because of social media.

We have a co-majority owner that is a Hollywood exec that did the pirate movies and a small vocal portion of the hockey fan base wants kraken cause of that.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
I think it's dumb, and my family I visit often in Seattle think so as well.

#seattlesockeyes

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

#seattlesockeyes

Oh i agree it is stupid. It really has nothing to do with the region. Now Sockeye or steelheads would work for a Northwestern team. native fish to the region.

Reactions: FartMilk

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
I think Seattle Sockeye or Seattle Sockeyes works. And I think the colors they keep using on the official site are the official colors as well. They should be at least. I think it's a fairly simple process that's being drawn out.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't mind either but I'm leaning towards Sockeyes.

Last week Ron Francis also said in his interview again that they're still in the process(Logo, Name, colour scheme etc.) to make sure everything is right and any possible legal things are dealt with.

I'm not sure what legal stuff you'd have to deal with naming it Kraken, so I believe Sockeyes might actually be the choice and they're working out the legal stuff(author of those novels) that might need to be dealt with.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Literally cannot understand why anyone would want the name "Totems." It's a ******* pole.

If you think the Stanford Cardinal's "tree" mascot is bad, wait until you see Fritz - The Seattle stationary wooden cylinder!

Reactions: Vilam

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Totems or Evergreens aren't going to happen. Sockeyes and Steelhead have naming right issues which could be worked out at
some cost. Still think it will be Kraken, While many can say the name has nothing to do with Seattle, there are a tons of possibilities
as far as the logo, colors, themes for all aged fans. Remember the owner. Bruckheimer is going to want to do something bigger than what Vegas did.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Totems or Evergreens aren't going to happen. Sockeyes and Steelhead have naming right issues which could be worked out at
some cost. Still think it will be Kraken, While many can say the name has nothing to do with Seattle, there are a tons of possibilities
as far as the logo, colors, themes for all aged fans. Remember the owner. Bruckheimer is going to want to do something bigger than what Vegas did.

They also want something to last and not end up in a rebrand at some point down the road cause whole buzz with the team dying down due to a bad choice.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019

The extra time they took to avoid legal issues like Las Vegas had tells me it's Sockeyes and not Kraken.

Reactions: Neill99

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I don't mind either but I'm leaning towards Sockeyes.

Last week Ron Francis also said in his interview again that they're still in the process(Logo, Name, colour scheme etc.) to make sure everything is right and any possible legal things are dealt with.

I'm not sure what legal stuff you'd have to deal with naming it Kraken, so I believe Sockeyes might actually be the choice and they're working out the legal stuff(author of those novels) that might need to be dealt with.
That’s the theory I sitting on too. I can live with that.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

#seattlesockeyes
Yeah, I think Kraken is awful. It sounds like an indoor arena football team or something. Weak. Sockeyes is awesome. We would get hopefully get some salmon color in the jersey and it actually suits the city. But I know it's pretty split. A lot of people hate the name Sockeyes as well.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Sockeyes or Kraken are both great. I think at this point most fans just want to know the name, see the logo and colors etc.
Seriously, how many fans are really going to reject what ever name is chosen. Certainly all have their favorites for whatever reason.
The fact that the Seattle is going to soon have NHL hockey tops all of that. Any fan that really won't watch or follow a team due to the name or
logo probably isn't the best fan of Seattle or the NHL. All we can do is wait at this point knowing most likely by the end of the summer it will be announced.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I love to eat salmon. I prefer my sockeye smoked as lox on a bagel and I love to barbeque with teriyaki and soy rub. Crispy on the outer and tender on the inner. For these reasons I don't want the team name to be a fish. A shark is ok but you might as well call the team the Trouts if your going to name it after a fish. How about the goldfish? In all reality the team name can wait another season as this stadium ( as I have mentioned before ) is no where near being completed on time.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I love to eat salmon. I prefer my sockeye smoked as lox on a bagel and I love to barbeque with teriyaki and soy rub. Crispy on the outer and tender on the inner. For these reasons I don't want the team name to be a fish. A shark is ok but you might as well call the team the Trouts if your going to name it after a fish. How about the goldfish? In all reality the team name can wait another season as this stadium ( as I have mentioned before ) is no where near being completed on time.

And those that are actually building it are saying its on schedule to be complete on time. Construction is going 24/7 with high impact work daytime only. I trust OVG who are actually experts at building arenas that they will get it done on time.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Do you have any source for that?
So far everything is said to be on time, at least according to OVG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->