Kraken Faithful and the 2021 Season

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
So... For those of us switching our allegiance to the mighty Kraken in 2022... Who have we all been giving our affection to over the years prior? Tell your story, and forgive me if this thread idea has transpired in the past.

I'll start...

New Jersey Devils fan of 28 years. Prior to that was a North Stars fan from when I could recall (born in '79) until they moved, but refused to support them after the move to Dallas. Next season... the NHL gives me what I've been hoping for all of these years growing up in Washington state. OUR team.. The Seattle Kraken. So stoked!

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Been a Penguins fan since the mid 80s -- my awareness of the NHL and love for all Pittsburgh sports coincided with the arrival of Mario. I have always been dismissive of the idea of having "second favorite" teams, but here I am in my 40s picking up a second team to follow. Living in Oregon its likely the closest team I will ever have to home. 4 pm will be Penguins games and 7 pm will be for the Kraken.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Devils fan since the announcement New Jersey was getting an NHL team. Flyers fan before that during the Cup years through '82. Coyotes became my second team when I moved back to Arizona in '96. I moved to Longview, WA in June 2019, before settling in Milwaukie, OR the following October.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Flyers since the 90's thanks to the LoD. Don't plan to stop either, the Kraken will have to share.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I've been a Leaf fan for decades and decades, and I still like them in the East. But I root for them by rote at this point. The Kraken represent a fresh, unjaded start which is what I want. I'm not just adding a second team or a western franchise to root for. My allegiance will be to the Kraken. If the Leaf and Kraken play against each other at some point, Seattle will be my team, including, hopefully, eventual Cup meetings if it comes to that. Should be interesting in local bars (assuming they are open by then).

MisterJoji

Feb 21, 2021
Flames fan. Spent first decade of my life in Calgary and then moved to Edmonton :help:. Used to spend summers in Seattle with my dad. Die hard Hawk’s, M’s and Sonics :( fan. Being a Flames fan has been torture pretty much my whole life except for one fluke run in 2004. Will suck that they’re in the same division but seriously considering making Seattle my #1 and Flames #2.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Coyotes fan since 96, original season ticket holder. Lived there for five years then moved to NY and stayed a fan. I'm done, stupid move after stupid move and dysfunctional beyond belief. I'm getting a fresh start. I've visited Seattle a few times and loved it so let's go Kraken!

Reactions: Joe Cooley

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
Been playing the game my whole life. Started watching NHL hockey in 2012. I didnt have a favorite team when i started. I liked the kings (because of my dad) Blackhawks (Kaner) and Canucks (loved the orca logo as a kid and they were the closest team to me) . After the first season, I went with the canucks as my "team". I remember waking up early in france to watch them get swept by the sharks that year haha. I never thought the nhl would expand.. and after vegas happened I was hopeful! And then Bam Seattle would got a team! I was so ecstatic! And even more when the name got dropped ive always liked the Crypto's. Printed out a picture of the logo before I could get a pennant. Not like i can ever hate the canucks.. Always have a special place in my heart. I Still watch every game and will still try when i can when Seattle enters. I dont believe in forced rivalries because of distance. Couldn't be more stoked on the ownership group,Gm Selection, Branding, colors, play by play announcer, not much on the arena name lol. Hoping to move to the area in a couple months always loved the seattle area every time i visit. Finally I can support a US team from the great Pacific Northwest and cant wait to see this amazing sport to grow here

Last edited:

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I’ve been teamless for a few years now after supporting the Oilers for far too long. They just wore me down until I could no longer validate said support. I was trending towards Vegas until the news of Seattle came out.
The majority of the Krakens games I attend will be while they play in western Canadian cities but I have every intention of cheering them on at home when the opportunity arises. See you folks there.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This is going to be weird, but I'm a Canucks fan who will be a pretty diehard Kraken fan. I'm a huge Mariners and Seahawks fan and have fallen in love with the city of Seattle after many trips to watch both the aforementioned teams - I've made more trips to Seattle than Vancouver at this point.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Don't be surprised if the Kraken see an influx of soon-to-be former Canucks fans.

Those fans are just going to flip-flop between the two and cheer for whoever is good at the time - that's really all I'm picturing from it. People now have a closer team to them to "claim" when things aren't going good enough in Vancouver.

There will definitely be a good chunk of legit Vancouver-based Kraken fans - look at the Seahawks and all the people from BC that flood there on gamedays in Seattle. I think a (very) smaller group will be doing something similar.

I'll be following both teams very closely, and it's going to be weird for me if they ever create a heated rivalry.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Those fans are just going to flip-flop between the two and cheer for whoever is good at the time - that's really all I'm picturing from it. People now have a closer team to them to "claim" when things aren't going good enough in Vancouver.

There will definitely be a good chunk of legit Vancouver-based Kraken fans - look at the Seahawks and all the people from BC that flood there on gamedays in Seattle. I think a (very) smaller group will be doing something similar.

I'll be following both teams very closely, and it's going to be weird for me if they ever create a heated rivalry.

I don't expect there to be any mass exodus but there are going to be certain groups of fans that are more likely to change teams.

- If you are new to hockey or someone who rooted for the Canucks mainly because you lived in BC.
- People close to the border (mainly Bellingham but really anyone north of Marysville) who now have a local team.

Like you pointed out, there will be a decent number of people who will basically switch sides based on which team does better. As someone who has rooted for the Sharks (another division rival like the Canucks) it will be tough if there is a heated rivalry but it is something I got ready for the moment I decided that I was rooting for the Kraken.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Posted in the local check-in but will here too.

Diehard Yotes fan here who has been eyeing Seattle since it was announced because, well AZ doesn't have what many call "stable ownership". After being a team just bad enough to miss the playoffs but not good enough to have a top pick, or a team whose GM has outright traded 1sts (2020, 2017, and Domi, Strome, Perlini, Merkely and POJ are all 1st rounders traded by Chayka. We got Schmaltz, four months of Hall and a shell of Kessel in return) I'm inching closer and closer to jumping completely on board to Seattle. I have friends in the area and was spending a bit of time in the city for work the past couple years and have always loved the Pacific Northwest.

Four losses in a row. The Coyotes look disinterested and a fresh start is sounding better and better. Seattle will absolutely be my second team but could end up being my main squeeze soon enough. Wanted to officially kick off my posting around the Kraken area!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Red Wings because I moved here from MI.

I live in B'ham and absolutely hate Seattle, but I gotta support a new local team. Hockey is the only sport I still watch.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Lived in Western Canada all my life, and various parts of BC for the vast majority of that. Been a hockey fan as long as I can remember, and a Canucks fan since the early 90s. It's been a rough go, the franchise is truly one of the saddest in pro sports. While I will not forego my fandom of the team entirely, the current operation is becoming less and less worth my little free leisure time. I will follow the expansion draft and early goings of the Kraken very closely and am excited to see the fanbase develop and grow. I will be happy to watch Kraken games as often as I can and balance my hockey time that way until the Canucks are worth it again. But you never know, maybe my #1 will change. A fresh start, uncorrupt management, and unjaded fanbase is very appealing.

Reactions: infinitemile

ultradan

hello fellow kids
Mar 21, 2010
i know i'm not the first, but i've been a coyotes fan since they moved to arizona and a jets fan before that. the coyotes will always be a team that i'll hope does well, but one can only take so much disappointment! it'll be nice being able to support the kraken from day one - looking forward to some great hockey!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fisticuffer

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Longtime Panthers fan and always will be. But I’ve lived in Seattle since 2016 (although I’ll be moving this year), but I’ll def root for Seattle. I’ll follow and watch games and the Kraken will be #2 team for sure.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Ducks fan since ‘93. Moved to Oregon 7 years ago & I’m sick of the Ducks’ mediocrity! Looking forward to rooting for a more regionally local team that seems to be making all the smart decisions when it comes to building a NHL team from scratch. Let’s go Kraken!!!

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Leafs fan but going with Seattle as 2nd team. Why, something new plus closet usa team to Alaska.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->