GDT: Kraken expansion draft (5 PM PST, ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I hardly doubt Francis is going to use $30.7M of cap space this offseason, when the only deal he did today actually increased the space. If he spends that on free agents, that's a bigger mistake because the term is going to be a lot longer than Domi's 1 yr or Tarasenko and JVR's 2 years.

That's the advantage of the expansion draft vs free agency, the terms are much shorter. If it doesn't work out, you can always go after free agents next year (Barkov/Forsberg).

Yep. And then you either succeed or ditch those players after they're effective for you for more picks.

Francis really bungled the draft portion of this.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the link to the article. It is a good read and aligns with my thoughts on the team as well.

You're welcome. I only found out about Campbell's new effort recently(he left The Hockey News a few weeks ago), and I'm on the free list. Hopefully, more people will subscribe to his column.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The overall choices are fine for a first year team, but I am not entirely pleased yet.
Francis shouldve taken a bit of risk on Tarasenko. Plus shouldve taken Voracek and Stenlund from PHI and CBJ respectively. Thats about it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The overall choices are fine for a first year team, but I am not entirely pleased yet.
Francis shouldve taken a bit of risk on Tarasenko. Plus shouldve taken Voracek and Stenlund from PHI and CBJ respectively. Thats about it.

Umm Tarasenko has a full NTC.

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
Half a season of Domi is better than Baywhateverhisnameis (the CBJ pick). Throwing away expansion draft picks deliberately is dumb.

Plus Domi could be flipped at the deadline if he's healthy, and Tarasenko has another year. One armed Tarasenko is still a top line player, look at his stats.

Or he could end up having negative trade value. It's quite possible we wouldn't be getting anything of value out of Domi in terms of on ice performance or trade value given his circumstances. Plenty of players who miss all of training camp when coming to a new team end up struggling the rest of the season. In which case teams won't exactly be lining up to take a 5 M player (even pro rated) already on his 4th team in 6 years to give you anything at all.

It's not like picking a Domi is exactly free. It does come at a cost. That's 5 M that could be going to a UFA or a trade for a player you really actually want. If you're taking Domi, you better be pretty confident you're getting something of value out of him.

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
Yeah, so.. why is Seattle not making this deal and getting the 2nd and 7th?

Is that Ghost contract really that different than the Oleksiak one?

I'm guessing Seattle didn't get that offer. Or any offer for that matter. Before or after the draft. Or Seattle has other plans to get better futures or sign players with that space.

I'm not loving the Oleksiak contract but I'm not getting the contract comparison. Ghost's proved to have negative value. Oleksiak's a classic UFA overpayment (not my much).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm guessing Seattle didn't get that offer. Or any offer for that matter. Before or after the draft. Or Seattle has other plans to get better futures or sign players with that space.

I'm not loving the Oleksiak contract but I'm not getting the contract comparison. Ghost's proved to have negative value. Oleksiak's a classic UFA overpayment (not my much).

Fletcher is on record saying Seattle asked for more.

I’ll let you guys be the judge on Oleksiak once you see him. I know he improved in Dallas, but that contract is nightmare fuel to me based on one season.

Reactions: Gniwder

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Fletcher is on record saying Seattle asked for more.

I’ll let you guys be the judge on Oleksiak once you see him. I know he improved in Dallas, but that contract is nightmare fuel to me based on one season.
4.5M AAV over 5 years is not nightmare fuel. Not for a 28 year old D-man. You want nightmare fuel check out the Vlasic contract. Or the Erik Karlsson contract unless he returns to form.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Or he could end up having negative trade value. It's quite possible we wouldn't be getting anything of value out of Domi in terms of on ice performance or trade value given his circumstances. Plenty of players who miss all of training camp when coming to a new team end up struggling the rest of the season. In which case teams won't exactly be lining up to take a 5 M player (even pro rated) already on his 4th team in 6 years to give you anything at all.

It's not like picking a Domi is exactly free. It does come at a cost. That's 5 M that could be going to a UFA or a trade for a player you really actually want. If you're taking Domi, you better be pretty confident you're getting something of value out of him.
That whole team was poorly coached and nobody did well, look at Laine's stats. They made the Wings look like a decent NHL team every game. Plus nobody knows how long he was playing with the injury before he brought it up to the team doctors. I'm not concerned about his ability to find his game, he seems to do well in new environments every time.

It's absolutely a gamble to take someone like Domi, but one that's worth it. If you think $5M is a lot, wait until you see what top end free agents are gonna go for. I also don't see opportunity cost as an issue because the team isn't going to hit the cap limit. They'd have to sign Landeskog, Ovechkin, AND Dougie to get there.

Reactions: RealGudbranson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->