GDT: Kraken expansion draft (5 PM PST, ESPN2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Four years ago general managers went crazy and made a bunch of deals to protect certain players from being picked. Those deals pretty much uniformly turned out badly for them.

My guess is that more than a few noticed that and determined that there was no way they were going to subject themselves to the kind of comments that have been made about the gms who made those bad deals.

There were likely a few general managers that weren't going to make any deal under any circumstances and a lot that were wary of making bad deals. I don't know what deals were open to Francis to make or if he overplayed his hand, but pretty clearly he was not in the same position McPhee was in back in 2017.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
Watched the show. Thoughts:

Selections have been made. Finally players to go with, no more guesswork. Not the strongest early roster by any means out of the possibilities in the draft. Not a huge surprise there was no loading up on many big names, but I would have thought they picked at least one bigger name or generally more expected players from some teams. Some picks were big surprises for sure, especially if without some strings attached.

Too early to put a stamp on this roster and post it onward to the moon. I'm expecting there will be roster effecting changes from the trades and free agency ahead. Cap space seems to be one thing we will hold onto long, though.

We do have decent enough physical and defensive defense to work with. Actual offense still lacking clearly, but the bottom half of the offense seems to be able to work it hard. Inexperienced goalies should have support from the defense and hard working players, which helps their job. The inexperienced goalies will still have to prove their worth that they can be counted on longer term. On the bright side, many players will have a great opportunity to jump into the spotlight and give it their best.

Looking at the absolute situation right now without taking into account the upcoming trades and free agency feels unfair. On paper Hakstol and the immediate roster kind of fit together in an unproven and possibly weakish way. That might still change and in practice it might be different than what the paper looks like. If the plan is not to get stronger early on, I do feel fishing on the top end draft picks in the upcoming years is too much of a gamble. Then you are hoping the lottery chances hit jackpot, destiny like that is not in your own hands.

Lastly:
E61UR5xUYAUeFZW.jpg

Reactions: ultra63 and LokiDog

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't think Seattle will flip him to LA in an agreed upon deal worked out before the draft was my point. Would not look good after introducing him to Seattle fans.
That is true… I like the Kraken Defense and Goaltending… with Beniers or Eklund on board and some savy UFA … and you guys have a legit chance at the playoffs…

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I posted this elsewhere but thought it should go here too:

Seattle signing a UFA in the draft: Why did you select a UFA?! You could have had someone for free and then signed the UFA next week
Seattle signing a non UFA in the draft: Why didn't you select the UFA?! You could have beaten the other teams to signing them

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Voracek isn't a rookie anymore, granted, but he has been a very consistent on some very inconsistent teams. Would Hakstol have had something to say maybe? Given the other names that could have been taken, I agree that that was a strange way for everything to go.

Dunn from St Louis isn't a bad pick, but I'd have thought the risk on Tarasenko would have been worth it. Maybe they saw something we don't see about that injury though, you're right there.

Cap space is only valuable if you make use of it, one way or another though. I have no doubt there is a plan, I just don't see it based solely on todays news. I'm hooked though, let's see what this plan is.

I think it does all come back to how much GMRF is emphasizing available cap space. My guess it is more to have teams retain on trades for expensive players (Tank, Voracek) and/or add in side-deals than just take them in the expansion draft. He likely also has certain FA's in mind.

Ignoring the expensive players in the expansion draft aside, I was generally happy with it. There were some 'strange' picks for sure but those were few and far between. I am going to wait till we get closer to the camps and pre-season games to start criticizing the roster. And even then, we may end up eating crow if 2-3 of these kids end up stepping up because of their advanced roles.

As an ex-Sharks fan, I remember how good Vegas was in its first season. And I also remember looking at the roster and going, I don't get it. It has to be a fluke. It has to be luck. Just to be clear, I don't expect us to be as good as Vegas. Heck, I have said right from the beginning that let us temper expectations and expect to be what we are. An expansion team. Lots of growing pains.

Lets just enjoy the ride. The bumps are just a small part of it .. :)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Watched the show. Thoughts:

Selections have been made. Finally players to go with, no more guesswork. Not the strongest early roster by any means out of the possibilities in the draft. Not a huge surprise there was no loading up on many big names, but I would have thought they picked at least one bigger name or generally more expected players from some teams. Some picks were big surprises for sure, especially if without some strings attached.

Too early to put a stamp on this roster and post it onward to the moon. I'm expecting there will be roster effecting changes from the trades and free agency ahead. Cap space seems to be one thing we will hold onto long, though.

We do have decent enough physical and defensive defense to work with. Actual offense still lacking clearly, but the bottom half of the offense seems to be able to work it hard. Inexperienced goalies should have support from the defense and hard working players, which helps their job. The inexperienced goalies will still have to prove their worth that they can be counted on longer term. On the bright side, many players will have a great opportunity to jump into the spotlight and give it their best.

I think is the most level and effective way of looking at it. There were ~4 picks that are just major head scratchers. In particular:

LAK: MacDermid - we drafted a very big, very heavy and physical roster. MacDermid is poor defensively and was eventually shifted to 4th line wing because of it. He's basically an enforcer. We have enough size and physicality that passing on prospects like Grundstrom and Clague makes very little sense.

PHI: Twarynski - even if we weren't interested in taking JVR/Voracek at full pop, a guy like Ghost, or even Hagg is simply worth more. Ghost could have allowed us to explore moving Dunn for a solid forward and still having a puck mover on defense, or could probably have been flipped (perhaps with retention) for another asset. Virtually anything holds more value than Twarynski.

CHI: Quennville - he's a UFA. There won't be competition for his services like a Larsson or Oleksiak; there may not even be another NHL game in his future. We could have phoned him 7 days and said "hey, want a league minimum contract?" and he'd be a Kraken. With that said, we passed on Gaudette who is young and has upside yet when we're thin on forwards, and we passed on Zadorov/DeHaan. If the goal was to build a big heavy defense, take Zadorov. That way if you have a really good deal on the table for a guy like Soucy, you can still maintain that physical, aggressive element you wanted in that spot.

But with that said, there's a lot of cap space and sure to be a couple of moves. I wouldn't get too excited for a multitude of deals, but there will have to be at least a couple. We really won't know how this roster will look until that happens. Free agency has some names that are still out there who could add some offensive punch as well; Schwartz, Landeskog, Hoffman, Danault, Wennberg, etc. We may not end up with the sexiest names, but even a guy like Wennberg would improve the top-six right now, and still has upside (he did quite well in Florida; Columbus was never an offensive powerhouse).

A few guys like McCann, Appleton, Geekie and to a lesser extent Tanev may breakout here. Tanev could put up solid third line numbers. Geekie, Appleton and McCann could all have second line potential. Albeit, none are home runs (I do think Appleton is the single best breakout candidate in the draft), but there's potential there. A guy like that can also be packaged with a high upside D like Dunn or Lauzon and potentially land you a more established top-six player (and not a Voracek/Tarasenko on an inflated contract with concerns over age/injuries).

Seeing what happens with free agency and what kind of deals we make between now and September means it's virtually pointless to get too critical of this early roster. Like I said, a few head scratchers that just don't seem to make sense no matter how you slice it, but overall pretty decent. We'll see not only what happens in the early days of free agency and post-trade freeze, but if we manage to snag any big fish UFAs, or if we're able to flip guys to teams that strike out on their desired UFAs. The picture will get clearer over the next two months.

I doubt they'll move anyone who was brought out on stage. Earliest I could see any of them moving would be Gio at the TDL.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Seattle could have the most intense/passionate fans in the NHL. Sure feels like the lackluster moves made, an extension of Ron Francis' energy-sucking aura, could take some of the life out of just one of the great fanbases/cities in the country.

Reactions: Jdodd

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
When your best forward is Jordan Eberle

200w.webp

Francis clearly prioritized cap space. Might be smart in this whole flat cap thing. Better hope he finds a good use for it.

You're assuming Francis prioritized cap space. What if he just doesn't know what he's doing?

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
He absolutely screwed up 5-7 of these picks...I am not even counting ones like choosing Geekie over Bean.
As mentioned above as far as Philly, Chicago, and Columbus...
All 3 of those come to mind where you just take best available and then trade them for 2nd-7th round picks...as a worst case scenario..
May not be great picks, but would have been at least 3 extra picks that would be better than basically taking nothing...

Reactions: PM and Gniwder

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
He absolutely screwed up 5-7 of these picks...I am not even counting ones like choosing Geekie over Bean.
As mentioned above as far as Philly, Chicago, and Columbus...
All 3 of those come to mind where you just take best available and then trade them for 2nd-7th round picks...as a worst case scenario..
May not be great picks, but would have been at least 3 extra picks that would be better than basically taking nothing...

I am absolutely flabbergasted at the MacDermid pick. This is 2021, not 1991. NHL rosters no longer have room for face punchers that can't play.

Reactions: PM and LokiDog

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
Agree, but look at what you took for Columbus.... that guy is worse than taking a flyer on a 7th round pick.

Reactions: LokiDog

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agree, but look at what you took for Columbus.... that guy is worse than taking a flyer on a 7th round pick.
I was like Bayer-who?

I would have taken a flyer at Domi. He'll probably miss half the season, but this team isn't anywhere close to the cap. Half a season of Domi is better than throwing the pick away. Plus he could've been flipped at the deadline if he plays well.

Absolutely ridiculous to throw picks away. Even a low end defenseman could have been traded to a cellar team like Detroit for a pick.

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
Agree, this is what I have been saying. 3-5 of these picks could have been any 3rd line player or 4th defenseman or someone like Domi or Ghost…. If you don’t want them then trade them for prospects/picks.. instead he just pick some players that aren’t tradable and may never play for Seattle or any of their affiliate minor league teams…

like I said if trades aren’t announced w these picks like Columbus, Chicago, and philly.. then it is just crazy to me.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Francis seems to have made a fetish out of cap space in disregard of everything else, like it alone is relevant and draft picks are no big deal.

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
Geekie over Bean is my least favorite move of yesterday. Bean just turned 23 last month and was AHL Defenseman of the Year in '19-20. There's now a rumor floating out there that Bean is being shopped by Carolina per Seravalli.

Should've taken Bean and used one of the bottom pairing defensive picks on the offensive side. Montreal - Drouin or CBJ - Domi.

Reactions: LokiDog

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
Yes! Exactly my point. Whomever we took from philly isn’t getting us a 2nd and a 7th… it won’t get us anything

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah.
We could've had this and now have Twarynski. :dunce:
Philly's pick bothered me the most to be honest. I know folks are upset about us picking Geekie over Bean but that could just be more to do with having a young forward under contract for 2021 than an unsigned RFA D-man in Bean to meet the 20 signed players quota.

If we had gone Ghost/Voracek, we could either have flipped them for assets or kept them as parts of the active roster. Twarynski just makes no sense. He does not even project to be a regular NHL'er.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That was actually a wrong report.

The trade is:

To ARZ: Ghost, 2022 2nd + 7th rounder
To PHI: Cap Space
Yep. The first media report was wrong. This makes a lot more sense now and give GMRF kudos for reading the value of Ghost correctly (unlike a lot of us). Also, I know Philly is not Tampa Bay, but this should give us some insight into how teams may value TJ's contract as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad