GDT: Kraken Development Camp Livestream (07/05/2023 12 PM PT)

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I'm sure top-level coaches and scouts can see something in that, but watching it for a few minutes and it's like watching an OHL All Star game. 4 on 4, what's positioning?, zero physical play whatsoever. I get that they arent going to be blowing each other up with massive hipchecks, but after the 3rd or 4th whiffed sweeping poke check I just sorta lost interest.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Wright definitely standing out so far. Liking what I’ve seen from Kyle Jackson. Botterill seems to find the right spots to pluck rebounds.

I think it was Melanson who was trying to McDavid style deek a couple players and laughingly failed. Could be wrong on who. Nick Olszyk isn’t too bad on commentary.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's going as I expected. Players trying to flash their offensive skills makes sense in a 4-on-4 with more open ice. Wright has definitely been the standout, as expected. I am loving the confidence from him. Seems like the AHL playoff run did wonders for his confidence.

Reactions: majormajor

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm sure top-level coaches and scouts can see something in that, but watching it for a few minutes and it's like watching an OHL All Star game. 4 on 4, what's positioning?, zero physical play whatsoever. I get that they arent going to be blowing each other up with massive hipchecks, but after the 3rd or 4th whiffed sweeping poke check I just sorta lost interest.

Lost interest in free off season hockey? Crazy talk!

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Loshko and Nelson stood out to me. Loshko is very smart, good playmaker, always involved defensively and his positioning is excellent. Nelson is going to make the NHL on swagger alone. Drag had lots of good puck movement and looked awesome on the blueline, but got beat a bunch off the rush. Backwards skating is still an issue, and timing his movements off the rush to get the puck to the outside instead of leaving a lane for the attacker to get inside.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Loshko and Nelson stood out to me. Loshko is very smart, good playmaker, always involved defensively and his positioning is excellent. Nelson is going to make the NHL on swagger alone. Drag had lots of good puck movement and looked awesome on the blueline, but got beat a bunch off the rush. Backwards skating is still an issue, and timing his movements off the rush to get the puck to the outside instead of leaving a lane for the attacker to get inside.
Thanks for the info! I think Drag needs maybe 2-3 years before he is ready. He admitted that he is still working and getting better at both skating and the defensive side of things. He did only convert to D about 3 years back so makes sense.

Regarding Dragicevic, his dad is a coach and ex-hockey player so I am hoping he has the aptitude to learn and get better with more time on D.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Thanks for the info! I think Drag needs maybe 2-3 years before he is ready. He admitted that he is still working and getting better at both skating and the defensive side of things. He did only convert to D about 3 years back so makes sense.

Regarding Dragicevic, his dad is a coach and ex-hockey player so I am hoping he has the aptitude to learn and get better with more time on D.
Dragicevic is one of my favorite prospects from this draft to be clear. His offense ceiling in terms of his handling, shooting, passing ability, vision is fantastic. There are just a lot of warts that have to get ironed out to make it. I'm really hoping he can get a skating coach first and foremost.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dragicevic is one of my favorite prospects from this draft to be clear. His offense ceiling in terms of his handling, shooting, passing ability, vision is fantastic. There are just a lot of warts that have to get ironed out to make it. I'm really hoping he can get a skating coach first and foremost.
I have heard really good things about Jessica "Boof" Campbell down in Coachella. Hoping Dragicevic can work with her in the off-season and beyond.

Reactions: Kcoyote3

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Lost interest in free off season hockey? Crazy talk!
The few minutes I watched, the co-comm was talking extensively about all the various coaches who were invovled in the development event and how they had included local coaches to come observe, etc. etc. etc.

My laptop screen is only 15.6" so I honestly couldnt tell who was who as they swirled around trying to put on individual skill flashes.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Some positives from Development Camp! Thanks to all that watched today's scrimmage and provided some feedback! The great thing about living in Western Canada is that I get to watch some of the Kraken prospects playing in the WHL...Firkus,Drago,Price,Hammell...want to make it to Seattle next season or the year after some of the youngsters are ready...not that I'm not watching cause the Kraken are fun to watch with the Ol' gang

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
So just doing some projecting...the Kraken have a great bunch of Youngsters to build with Beniers,Wright,Firkus,Nyman,Sale,Rehkopf,Fisker Molgaard,Goyette,Melanson,Winterton,Loshko, MacDonald,Nelsen, Drago,Evans,Price,Ottavainen,Hammell,Jugnauth, Kokko,Vedanpaa, Vyazovoi...now over the next few drafts the Kraken need to hit one outta the ball Park and get another "Beniers" type for the Offense and a defensive gem...all the while gaining more and more Prospects...letting the players develop in the best possible place whether that's Europe,Juniors in the CHL or College in the US

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad