Kraken 24/25 HC speculation

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Not to be trite or dissing the board, but does anybody care who is gonna coach this team next year?
Honestly, there aren’t any currently unemployed candidates that overly excite me. Nobody that jumps out as a “I hope Francis gets THAT guy”. It’s kind of why I thought they should just stick with Hak, until word got out that a handful of players wanted him gone?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not to be trite or dissing the board, but does anybody care who is gonna coach this team next year?
I just don't want the Kraken to hire a retread coach who thinks that this team has to play boring, clog-the-neutral-zone hockey to survive. And I would like a coach who can develop young players and not nail them to the bench after their first mistake.

Reactions: Irie and Fuhrious

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I just don't want the Kraken to hire a retread coach who thinks that this team has to play boring, clog-the-neutral-zone hockey to survive. And I would like a coach who can develop young players and not nail them to the bench after their first mistake.
Wouldn't mind a fresh coach rather than one from the old boys club. Given how risk averse our GM is I doubt that happens though.

Ultimately I just want it to be fun to watch. Last year was kind of boring.

Reactions: Irie and kihei

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I definitely do.

I watched probably over 150 of the 164 regular season Kraken games from the first two seasons, but I barely watched half of the games this past season, as I couldn't stand watching Hakstol unable to make adjustments and the team's only gameplan be "outwork" the other team. I want to see the guys work smarter together as a team, and not just harder as individuals.

It was frustrating hockey to watch, and I am someone who can usually watch just about any hockey game anywhere and be entertained and just enjoy it for what it is.

That said, I will watch the games this next season, and I am not even hoping that the new coach has them in a playoff hunt(being realistic here). What I really hope to see is a coach that gets the young guys playing well and won't bench them when they make mistakes, and uses those mistakes as opportunities to teach. I would love to see a lot of the prospects get some limited callup time this season and see what the organization has in them. A good development year for the kids and another top ten draft pick next season would not be the end of the world for me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I definitely do.

I watched probably over 150 of the 164 regular season Kraken games from the first two seasons, but I barely watched half of the games this past season, as I couldn't stand watching Hakstol unable to make adjustments and the team's only gameplan be "outwork" the other team. I want to see the guys work smarter together as a team, and not just harder as individuals.

It was frustrating hockey to watch, and I am someone who can usually watch just about any hockey game anywhere and be entertained and just enjoy it for what it is.

That said, I will watch the games this next season, and I am not even hoping that the new coach has them in a playoff hunt(being realistic here). What I really hope to see is a coach that gets the young guys playing well and won't bench them when they make mistakes, and uses those mistakes as opportunities to teach. I would love to see a lot of the prospects get some limited callup time this season and see what the organization has in them. A good development year for the kids and another top ten draft pick next season would not be the end of the world for me.

I hope we see kids take off too and that has to be a growing priority, but I'll add a couple things to that.

One is that we really don't have a lot of good upside young guns yet. It's Beniers and Wright and that's about it. Maybe Firkus has a good camp and surprises next year.

The other is that I have watched rebuilds for clubs that started rebuilding 4+, 5+, heck 10+ years ago like the Jackets, Senators, Devils, and Sabres. The "fun young player scoring party" stage is the easy part. Getting them to play highly structured winning hockey after that is the hard part. All of those clubs are failing at it to some degree. The looser it gets for high flying hockey, the longer it takes to reintroduce structure when you want to start winning games.

It's tough. The West is getting stronger and we don't have a lot of young guns. I wonder if we might find more success sticking with a more highly structured veteran heavy team, and gradually adding whatever young talent we can get to that.

I still haven't been talked out of Dean Evason.

Reactions: Renopucker and Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I hope we see kids take off too and that has to be a growing priority, but I'll add a couple things to that.

One is that we really don't have a lot of good upside young guns yet. It's Beniers and Wright and that's about it. Maybe Firkus has a good camp and surprises next year.

The other is that I have watched rebuilds for clubs that started rebuilding 4+, 5+, heck 10+ years ago like the Jackets, Senators, Devils, and Sabres. The "fun young player scoring party" stage is the easy part. Getting them to play highly structured winning hockey after that is the hard part. All of those clubs are failing at it to some degree. The looser it gets for high flying hockey, the longer it takes to reintroduce structure when you want to start winning games.

It's tough. The West is getting stronger and we don't have a lot of young guns. I wonder if we might find more success sticking with a more highly structured veteran heavy team, and gradually adding whatever young talent we can get to that.

I still haven't been talked out of Dean Evason.

I'm not suggesting a roster full of kids playing shinny hockey. Good mentor vets are a must, and limiting the amount of kids in the lineup per game is important. Giving some of the prospects a taste of the league with limited callups without burning that first year of UFA requirement could be a good thing for both their development and fan interest in getting to know the team's future.

It has to be done right, as there are a lot of pitfalls in exposing a lot of kids to the league in the same season, and like you said, it is easy to fall into the trap of "play the kids", and not realize the damage that strategy can have longterm on the rebuild without safety nets in place.

I expect there will be a sleeper player that seems to come out of nowhere and makes a big jump this season in development, maybe Morrison, Kartye or Fleury, not a top name, but a younger player that fits in a 3rd line or 3rd pairing role. Maybe a guy like Nyman gets a midseason call-up and has a good stretch in a sheltered role. I don't have playoff aspirations for the current team this season, so giving several of the younger guys some injury replacement time is not a concern for me in that they would be throwing away the season.

Hiring a guy like Evason only to have him bench the young players when they push for offense while overplaying guys like Marcus Johnasson is not enticing to me. Probably should have just taught Hakstol how to coach the trap instead

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad