News Article: Kovy to the rescue

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, buuuuuuuuut... is this just a 'headline' or is there an article that I just can't see ? (unless my browser decided to play tricks on me)
I had to switch from my Samsung browser to Chrome to see the tweet on my phone.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Build some sort of training plan...some goals....bring that forward and see if its better than what bouillon did with the young players.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
For a long time I really loved this player, he was so exciting to watch and he made the Habs MUST WATCH every night. Such an exciting player.

By the end of his tenure, I was so sick of his drama queen antics, it was just controversy after controversy with this guy.

But you know what? I really do miss being excited to watch the team. This guy was flashy and he finished. He produced. He scored some amazing goals. Subban was similar in that he was extremely entertaining, but Kovy was on another level.

It's kind of sad that today, there is NOBODY on the Habs that makes them MUST WATCH every night.

You can skip 3 weeks worth of games and you won't miss a single f***ing highlight. Not one.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Still my most memorable Kovalev moment as a Hab. Angry Kovalev was awesome. :)

His celly on his goal in the 5-0 comeback against the NYR was pretty cool as well. Beauty move by Koivu in the SO. I still watch this every now and then just because. :)

Reactions: Souffle

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Still my most memorable Kovalev moment as a Hab. Angry Kovalev was awesome. :)

His celly on his goal in the 5-0 comeback against the NYR was pretty cool as well. Beauty move by Koivu in the SO. I still watch this every now and then just because. :)

this is the habs team i missed. talented and had attitude when needed. this team vs boston was always magic.
now the team is just blah.

Reactions: sheed36

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Can he bring a Shooter Tutor and show Max and Drouharnais, how to hit a net instead of going high glove every time, over the net?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Free DVD to each Habs player

alex-kovalev-dvd.jpg

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
this is the habs team i missed. talented and had attitude when needed. this team vs boston was always magic.
now the team is just blah.
To be honest, 2012 still had some big game players with lotsa talent, Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller, Markov, Price, Gallagher, and even Pacioretty had some plays in them.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Kovy got this part right

Kovalev... avec une prothèse au visage, qui jouait incognito contre les anciens de la LNH depuis le début de la soirée. Ses propres coéquipiers l’ignoraient. Le 27 a toujours eu le sens du spectacle. Exactement ce qui manque à la LNH d’aujourd’hui, selon lui.
« Ce n’est pas seulement le Canadien, je ne regarde plus le hockey, a dit Kovalev sur la chaise de maquillage après le match amical. Je le regarde seulement quand mes enfants le veulent. Je joue encore, j’entraîne mes enfants. Il va m’arriver de regarder des faits saillants. Mais le jeu a tellement changé, il n’y a plus rien à regarder. »
« On patine fort, on tire fort. Il n’y a plus de créativité, rien, ce n’est pas agréable à regarder. Je n’aime pas la manière dont le hockey a évolué. »
— Alex Kovalev

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Contrary to popular belief being a skilled stickhandler or having a great shot isn't something you are born with. It's something you learn/develop with practice, the issue is that it takes thousands of hours at practice to become elite. The high end stick handlers stickhandled for hours on end, great shooters took shots over and over again. I remember reading how as a teenager Kovy's shot wasn't that great so he spent an entire summer with his dad working on his shot. He took thousands of shots every day until it became the laser beam we all remember. He wasn't born with that shot, he practiced and practiced until it was elite.

So there is certainly a lot of value a "skill" coach can bring to a player. But there are hurdles for a team to hire one. The first is that during a season there isn't a lot of time available for players to practice their skills since it has to be in addition to all the practice/game prep they already do. Which means the best time to do this type of work is in the offseason, however there are restrictions in place to prevent players working directly with the players during the offseason.

So if a team did hire Kovy as a coach then he'd probably come in at the end of practice and be there for players who wanted to spend an extra hour or two working on things after practice. This limits how much progress a player would make, so teams probably don't want to pay an NHL coaches salary to a guy when the benefits are pretty limited. Still for a team with deep pockets that wants an edge over other teams, it's a no-brainer to have a guy ready and available to work on hockey skills.

That said if Kovy wants to work with players then he'd probably be better off running a summer camp similar to what Gary Roberts does. It wouldn't be affliated with any team but the players would benefit from it a lot more. If he wants to work with a team it becomes trickier and the benefits to the player much less.

Reactions: Habsfan2992

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This regime is not hiring a Russian in a coaching capacity, it will not happen even if Kovalev would do it for free.

If there truly are factions in management who refuse to look at or promote players because of birthplace, language or ethnicity, I'd have them out the door yesterday.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Man, Kovy was my favorite during his tenure in Montreal. Pure puck magic. But hard-working? I wouldn't go quite that far.

That said, why not bring him back in some capacity?

Good-will Ambassador? Motorcycle Driving Instructor? Aerial Reconnaissance Expert? Assistant Dipsy-Doodle Coach? Flowing Locks Adviser? I'm down with any of those roles.

At this point in a dismal season, what could it hurt?

MB would even have enough money left to hire the Kostitsyn brothers, who would be invaluable helping younger players navigate Montreal's after-dark culture.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
if they actually sign him today, just to play on PP, he probably will be their leading goal scorer at the end of the season... he is no good for the tank... :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->