Value of: Kovalchuk to Carolina

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm continually confounded by people trying to trade Carolina a F when the pressing need is a goalie.

We can't start McElhinney 60 games this year. He might die. Actually literally die. Darling is cold ****, Mrazek is warm ****...so we need at-least a 1B guy. That is what stands between us and contention.

Our O sucks. I think everyone knows that...and our O solutions are in-house longer-term. We're not going anywhere until we fix our goaltending. We're not going to suddenly contend for the Cup if we add a Nylander or Kovy...with or without better goaltending.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Don't think Carolina makes good trade partners for LA on Kovalchuk at least.

If Kovalchuk asks to be moved than LA would likely be looking at taking on a lesser unfavorable contract. Carolina does not have any bad contracts.

Speaking of Carolina with Zykov and Darling on waivers who are they looking to call up? I love Necas.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As I understand it, one interesting thing about Kovalchuk's contract is that his salary for this season is only 650K as the Kings already paid him a 7.85 mil signing bonus. He's due 10.25 mil in actual dollars for the next two seasons. In a weird way, he's a bit of a bargain for at least this year for a hypothetical acquiring team.

Maybe there's a team with ample cap space who cares more about the actual dollars that might be willing to take a chance? 10.9 million for 2+ seasons might be easier to swallow. If Kovalchuk were to retire before the final year, perhaps the team wouldn't care about the cap hit (ie, Arizona with Datsyuk).

That said, Kovalchuk has a NMC so it might be difficult to find a team with cap space to burn that is an acceptable landing spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad