Kovalchuk LW or RW

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I voted LW! I don't care if we're winning!! I just want to see Kovy go into the super-duper "beast mode" I just know in my heart he can go on, but only if he's on the LW, and score 97 goals!!!

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the last year argument doesn't work for me. remember his linemates? different year.

and the whole "he roams, he moves over" etc doesn't work for me either. WHY would you not want him on the left ALL THE TIME? let him play a simple game, up and down the left. why make him roam and leave his man potentially open on the right.

with that said, I'll ignore the thread. I think I've been annoyingly verbose on the subject

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
This topic is straight up dumb.

Equally as dumb as the move Henrique to wing topic.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I voted LW, but I don't really care. I'm more bummed with the fact that Pete makes out like it's an ''Under no circumstances'' move for Kovy to play on the LW at any time. If we somehow get something going with a player who can move to the RW on Kovy's line, I don't see what's wrong with moving Kovy back to LW.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I voted LW, but I don't really care. I'm more bummed with the fact that Pete makes out like it's an ''Under no circumstances'' move for Kovy to play on the LW at any time. If we somehow get something going with a player who can move to the RW on Kovy's line, I don't see what's wrong with moving Kovy back to LW.

Because his defense has improved considerably, he's starting to help out comfortably on the breakouts and he's back checking better than ever.

Well-rounded Kovy is best at RW. And he can still score. So... I'd leave it alone.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Cant believe how many LW votes there are after what Kovalchuk has blossomed into over this past year. You people are...:loony:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because his defense has improved considerably, he's starting to help out comfortably on the breakouts and he's back checking better than ever.

Well-rounded Kovy is best at RW. And he can still score. So... I'd leave it alone.

I'd leave it alone now too. I'm just talking in the future if we find someone to play with him who happens to be RW, I think Kovy is more than fine to move back over.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

the last year argument doesn't work for me. remember his linemates? different year.

and the whole "he roams, he moves over" etc doesn't work for me either. WHY would you not want him on the left ALL THE TIME? let him play a simple game, up and down the left. why make him roam and leave his man potentially open on the right.

with that said, I'll ignore the thread. I think I've been annoyingly verbose on the subject

Because there's more to the game of hockey then just scoring goals. He's been real solid defensively and that's the only reason why the coaching staff won't move him to the left side... since he'd be on his backhand when breaking out of our zone, wich doesn't seem like much but it's actually a bigger deal then it looks.

Offensively, players roam wherever they want. It's not as if they have specific lanes. A right winger can come down the left hand side and vice versa.

I just don't see why we would move Kovalchuk back to left wing when he's playing real solid hockey for us with and whitout the puck, for the past 18 months now. He's adapted real well to his "off wing", so I just don't see any reason why we'd **** with his head and throw him back at a position that wasn't a perfect fit for a player who needs to be defensively responsible as well, you know... cause he plays for the New Jersey Devils.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

You don't want him in the lane the whole time because north south hockey loses games.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
You don't want him in the lane the whole time because north south hockey loses games.

It's mind bottling.

Parise used to roam between wings all the time. Elias does too. Sykora used to play both wings.

Great players play in all situations and positions on the ice.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
If we somehow get something going with a player who can move to the RW on Kovy's line, I don't see what's wrong with moving Kovy back to LW.

This sums it up for me. If we pick up a RW (Iginla :naughty:) he can play LW. Otherwise it really doesn't matter. He crosses over to the LW on the rush, and that opens up drop passes etc. He's rarely ever on the right side in the offensive zone anyway.

I'm more concerned about him being on the right side on the PP. He needs to stay on the left side for 1-timers and never move.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think putting Kovalchuk on the Right was more about taking him out his comfort zone to change his overall play personally. At this point I don't think it matters where he plays. On the PK and most of the PP he is on the left side anyway.

apice3*

When you only play one side of the ice, you end up like Ovechkin.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
dead-horse2.jpg

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think putting Kovalchuk on the Right was more about taking him out his comfort zone to change his overall play personally. At this point I don't think it matters where he plays. On the PK and most of the PP he is on the left side anyway.

And if it gets him playing more of a team game, then that's fine by me. Clearly he is, and the team is doing well because of it.

funetiklee

Mar 11, 2009
I'm one of the LW voters. It was a knee jerk decision and I was only thinking of the last two goals Kovy scored. One take away from this thread is that one of the reasons Kovy has turned into such a well-rounded, two-way forward has been because of the move to RW. If moving him back to LW means he all of a sudden can't accept a breakout pass and forgets his defensive responsibilities then sure, leave him on the right side.

apice3*

Are you coming around to him at all yet?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
But thankfully Jim can view the contract and player as separate things. This is important as a fan, and I think a lot of other posters could learning something from that view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->