Proposal: Kovalchuk for Backes + 1st

Who says no?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
fair but would that just be kicking the can further down he road. This year's Boston's 1st won't be NHL ready for what like 3 years, I would think an NHL ready prospect would hold more value than a pick to the Bruins so the can be as competitive while they have their core producing.

Bruins need as many things to throw at the wall to hope they find their future top 6 centers as possible. Their D group is young and good. Their winger group (outside of Marchand) is young and you could do worse than starting with DeBrusk and Pastrnak. Their top 2 centers are old. As many lottery tickets as they can have to try to get lucky and find the next Bergeron or Krejci they need to keep. Their surplus NHL ready LD or LWs should be on the table before picks.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
in the offseason Backes + 1st for 6th aka the Marleau.

Or they can just buyout Backes and keep their first. Or just do what they are doing this year and shrugging and putting him in the press box. As of TODAY they don't need Backes money. Toronto NEEDED the Marleau money.

Reactions: YP44

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
Because we suck and whatever Boston does add would help the future

True, just think Boston would be looking for a different player if they are going to give up a 1st. Kovy is a great player but he's 36 and coming off a downish year with only 34 point. Would be hard to justify adding a 1st.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
True, just think Boston would be looking for a different player if they are going to give up a 1st. Kovy is a great player but he's 36 and coming off a downish year with only 34 point. Would be hard to justify adding a 1st.

hard to judge Kovalchuk off of last year. He was a PPG player before the coaching change and has been a PPG player so far this year.

Needs to be used right and Boston's coach would need to be on board.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
totally agree. I thought a first was a bit steep , personally. but i do thing it is a workable deal, just deciding on what else

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
hard to judge Kovalchuk off of last year. He was a PPG player before the coaching change and has been a PPG player so far this year.

Needs to be used right and Boston's coach would need to be on board.

Well and that's the rub. He isn't taking anyones spot on PP1 for Boston. The Bruins are only good because of the Bergeron line, good mobile d-men, and defensive buy in up and down the lineup. One guy not buying in defensively can be a cancer. They clearly had interest in Kovi, they made a run at him when he was a free agent, but I think its Kovi that would have to be on board with trying to win.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Well and that's the rub. He isn't taking anyones spot on PP1 for Boston. The Bruins are only good because of the Bergeron line, good mobile d-men, and defensive buy in up and down the lineup. One guy not buying in defensively can be a cancer. They clearly had interest in Kovi, they made a run at him when he was a free agent, but I think its Kovi that would have to be on board with trying to win.

There was smoke they took a run at him at last year's deadline too. I think Kovalchuk's stock has gone up since then as he has shown he can still score (albeit in a very small sample size), and he has less money owed.

Reactions: wintersej

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Or they can just buyout Backes and keep their first. Or just do what they are doing this year and shrugging and putting him in the press box. As of TODAY they don't need Backes money. Toronto NEEDED the Marleau money.

They can buyout Backes in the off season, but that would leave them with a 4 million dollar cap hit for next year, which is not ideal. Either way, I’m guessing Backes will not be a Bruin by this time a year from now.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They can buyout Backes in the off season, but that would leave them with a 4 million dollar cap hit for next year, which is not ideal. Either way, I’m guessing Backes will not be a Bruin by this time a year from now.

In the offseason:
To LA: Backes + 2021 2nd rounder (LA buys out Backes)
To Boston: 7th round pick

Follows the Marleau deal but is less because buy out is less.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In the offseason:
To LA: Backes + 2021 2nd rounder (LA buys out Backes)
To Boston: 7th round pick

Follows the Marleau deal but is less because buy out is less.

Yeah if Backes is willing to waive (its sunny LA why not?), this is a deal I would make if the Bruins found themselves needing the space.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they are spending a 1st they sure as hell should spend it on someone else than Kovy.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Zero chance Boston does it. Maybe turn it into a 3rd rounder with the condition that if Kovy scores 60 points, it becomes a 2nd

Then I think good for both teams!

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I actually like the idea of Kovy. I think he would be a great fit with Krejci but not at the cost of a 1st.

Backes, Zboril and Cehlarik for Kovy @ 4.5mill per

Debrusk-Krejci-Kovalchuk will be a great 2nd line for us this year and I like the idea of a Lauko-Krejci-Kovalchuk line next year

Reactions: kdog82

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Kovalchuk on the Bruins would be scary

I think Kovalchuk is very underrated. With the right talent he will excel because he has an amazing shot and passing ability that doesn't fade with time. He just plays on one of the worst teams in the league.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Does anyone remember those two games against the Kings last season, both within around a week of each other? The Kings had Kovi out there half the game and it looked like Weekend at Bernie's. They were showcasing a cadaver for the deadline, which was a week or two away.

Kovalchuk's had a nice start to the season, but that was one unengaged, zombie of a player last season.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I could see a swap of picks - like BOS 2ND for LAK 4TH or something like that - but like others have said, no way Boston gives up a 1st as written in the OP.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->