Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft(Your team is on the clock #23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Im not saying being good at many things means he has less of a chance to become a top line/pairing guy, just that being great at nothing usually means middle pairing potential.

I'm not gonna pretend to act like I know a lot about him, I don't. But from what I've read, highlights I've seen, and what's been said on this site about him, nothing screams top pairing potential to me.

You arent getting anything like that at 23 anyways. Saying Kylington has top pairing potential is like saying Shinkaruk has first line potential. Okay...after all of our terrible picks I just want someone to make the team eventually. If we had a second maybe the risk would be worth it. We cant afford to walk away from this draft with nothing.

Bobs list has Zboril at 14. Ahead of Konecny, White, Boeser, Merkley, Svechnikov, Kylington, Chabot, Roy , Harkins. Not saying He will be better than any of those guys but value wise at 23 Zboril is worth it.

The Jesus*

You arent getting anything like that at 23 anyways. Saying Kylington has top pairing potential is like saying Shinkaruk has first line potential. Okay...after all of our terrible picks I just want someone to make the team eventually. If we had a second maybe the risk would be worth it. We cant afford to walk away from this draft with nothing.

I fully understand that sentiment and even kind of agree with it. But I can't help but feel that exact same line of thinking is why we have Virtanen right now and not Nylander or Ehlers.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I fully understand that sentiment and even kind of agree with it. But I can't help but feel that exact same line of thinking is why we have Virtanen right now and not Nylander or Ehlers.

Well it helps that last year we had the 6th, 24th, 36th and 66th picks compared to just the 23rd pick this year out of the top-100. I like to gamble on high upside prospects too and wanted to last year but you need volume when you are taking longshots and we don't have it this year. We probably pick up a 2nd and 3rd round pick pick somehow during the draft but even then we are still picking near the end of each round.

With that said, I'd be on board to trade down and take a gamble with one of the picks on a high risk / high upside player.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Yeah if you have a top 10 pick you can take the risk because they actually have top end skill. The Virtanen pick was questionable at the time , but it just happened to be that Virtanen fit the model of a player that Benning covets (lol meat and potatoes).

People forget that Zboril was a rookie in the Q this year, and his team wasnt stacked. He has room to grow. No one drafted Erik Karlsson with the thought of him actually turning into Erik Karlsson. When we drafted Bo people were upset that he wouldnt be anything more than a 3rd liner and they all wanted Nichushkin. Bo didnt have any top end skill when he was drafted. Its all about the players development. When we drafted Schroeder, Hodgson, Shinkaruk people were so excited that we would have the next Kane, Toews, etc. The point is that we shouldnt judge them as players when they are drafted and even couple years after they are drafted. By no means is Zboril at 23 a pick to complain about.

The Jesus*

Yeah if you have a top 10 pick you can take the risk because they actually have top end skill. The Virtanen pick was questionable at the time , but it just happened to be that Virtanen fit the model of a player that Benning covets (lol meat and potatoes).

People forget that Zboril was a rookie in the Q this year, and his team wasnt stacked. He has room to grow. No one drafted Erik Karlsson with the thought of him actually turning into Erik Karlsson. When we drafted Bo people were upset that he wouldnt be anything more than a 3rd liner and they all wanted Nichushkin. Bo didnt have any top end skill when he was drafted. Its all about the players development. When we drafted Schroeder, Hodgson, Shinkaruk people were so excited that we would have the next Kane, Toews, etc. The point is that we shouldnt judge them as players when they are drafted and even couple years after they are drafted. By no means is Zboril at 23 a pick to complain about.

Hey, I don't hate the pick at all. If we pick Zboril at 23, I'm totally fine with it. I'd be happy that we're taking a defenseman.

I just wanna take a gamble is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad