Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft(Your team is on the clock #22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Shout out and stealing this idea that was never followed through by Candy Canes. Thought it would be interesting to try it again as I liked the idea originally. Also a chance to change history if you voted in the last go round. Trying to make it through the entire first round before the draft.

Currently on the clock: Washington (Your pick has been made)

Rules:

I will be making posts on teams main forums, so look out for yours when your team is up to pick! When the team is up to pick, the fans of that team will post their player they want drafted with that pick. After about 24 hours at 8:00 AM (Pacific) the player that was said the most on the forum will be the team's selection! If a tie breaker happens to be needed I will give that team extra time until the next vote is cast.

-You as a voter, can only vote once.
-You can only select one player.
-Of course like a real draft, once a player is selected they can not be drafted again.
-Please make your pick clear and separate your commentary where possible.
-Thanks for participating.

The entire mock will be updated on the Mock Board section under KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft.

1-EDMONTON=Connor McDavid
2-BUFFALO=Jack Eichel
3-ARIZONA=Dylan Strome
4-TORONTO=Noah Hanifin
5-CAROLINA=Mitch Marner
6-NEW JERSEY=Matthew Barzal
7-PHILLY=Ivan Provorov
8-COLUMBUS=Zach Werenski
9-SAN JOSE=Pavel Zacha
10-COLORADO=Lawson Crouse
11-FLORIDA=Mikko Rantanen
12-DALLAS=Kyle Connor
13-LA=Timo Meier
14-BOSTON=Travis Konecny
15-CALGARY=Nick Merkley
16-EDMONTON=Jeremy Roy
17-WINNIPEG=Evgeni Svechnikov
18-OTTAWA=Brock Boeser
19-DETROIT=Thomas Chabot
20-MINNESOTA=Joel Eriksson Ek
21-BUFFALO=Colin White
22-WASHINGTON=Denis Guryanov
23-VANCOUVER
24-TORONTO
25-WINNIPEG
26-MONTREAL
27-ANAHEIM
28-TAMPA BAY
29-PHILLY
30-ARIZONA

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Trying to follow this idea through the first round.

Please make your pick clear i.e.:

McDavid

Commentary can go under it like this.

Thanks again for participating.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Gurianov.

This is pretty much the worst-case scenario at 22 IMO but still not so bad. Deep depth this year. BPA with the help of Mr. Russian Factor.

Zboril is somewhat tempting as a lefty D with upside and the likes of Sprong, Debrusk and Harkins up front are somewhat tempting but it's all about Gurianov's upside.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yup and I think we all should defer to Langway on this. ;)
Debate is good, esp. when rising above the level of anti-Russian hot-takery. :)

Gurianov compares himself to Nichushkin and his favorite player is Ovechkin so, I mean, it stands to reason here. He needs to polish his all-around game up a bit but the frame, hands and instincts are excellent. Sprong maybe has similar type pure upside but there are enough concerns there to pass.

I'd probably take White over DG after the top 15 group but other than that a strong case could be made vs. anyone else.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Starsandstickes has us with:

22OLIVER KYLINGTONDefense, Farjestad (SHL)
The Washington Capitals, despite having a very good blue line this season, definitely need to add to their blue line depth. Kylington reminds me a lot of Erik Karlsson stylistically. I think he’d be a wonderful fit for the Washington Capitals. The Washington Capitals like going after guys who had weak seasons in their draft year. It’s worked out well for them in the past. Kylington had a weak draft season, but he did look a lot better towards the end of the season. Barry Trotz’s system encourages the Washington Capitals defensemen to be active on offense. Kylington would thrive in that system.

http://starsandsticks.com/2015/06/07/2015-nhl-mock-draft-washington-capitals-blueline/6/

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Starsandstickes has us with:

22OLIVER KYLINGTONDefense, Farjestad (SHL)
The Washington Capitals, despite having a very good blue line this season, definitely need to add to their blue line depth. Kylington reminds me a lot of Erik Karlsson stylistically. I think he’d be a wonderful fit for the Washington Capitals. The Washington Capitals like going after guys who had weak seasons in their draft year. It’s worked out well for them in the past. Kylington had a weak draft season, but he did look a lot better towards the end of the season. Barry Trotz’s system encourages the Washington Capitals defensemen to be active on offense. Kylington would thrive in that system.
Who does that describe aside from Burakovsky to make it a pattern?

Kylington joins the rush but he doesn't have the decision-making of a Karlsson and it's what separates a minute eater impact player from someone that needs to be managed closely. It's why his stock has dropped significantly from the start of the season when he was ranked up in the top 10.

Maybe in time those areas get cleaned up but it's no sure thing and not the only flags so it presents much more uncertainty when projecting. He's deserving of consideration from a skating and flare standpoint but there are options available with comparable or better upsides without the flags.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It depends on what's meant by the term...the most likely to hit a substantial amount of upside? The least in need of future development to at least be a decent NHLer or depth player? There's always a risk/reward element that must be weighed and I don't think there's an option so tremendously mature that doesn't also come with some upside questions. Zboril, Carlo and Harkins could all be considered safe picks but the reward aspect isn't quite where someone like White is IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who does that describe aside from Burakovsky to make it a pattern?

Kylington joins the rush but he doesn't have the decision-making of a Karlsson and it's what separates a minute eater impact player from someone that needs to be managed closely. It's why his stock has dropped significantly from the start of the season when he was ranked up in the top 10.

Maybe in time those areas get cleaned up but it's no sure thing and not the only flags so it presents much more uncertainty when projecting. He's deserving of consideration from a skating and flare standpoint but there are options available with comparable or better upsides without the flags.

Where exactly does your information about his decision making come from?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Where exactly does your information about his decision making come from?
Just watching him play. He often puts himself in hot water trying to do too much and/or play too cute with the puck and then without it can be disengaged. He has many of the same tool box concerns as Bowey, though Bowey is older and arguably more productive regardless.

To me a first round defenseman must have an almost innate sense of being able to keep it simple and stay composed in all situations while picking their spots. Chabot has passed Kylington in that regard and arguably a few other PMDs available have as well (Juulsen, Dunn, Vande Sompel, Dermott). Not to say that he won't polish up his game in the future but, like I wrote, if he had Karlsson's hockey IQ to go along with his skating he would still be in that top 10 mix.

Last edited:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
It depends on what's meant by the term...the most likely to hit a substantial amount of upside? The least in need of future development to at least be a decent NHLer or depth player? There's always a risk/reward element that must be weighed and I don't think there's an option so tremendously mature that doesn't also come with some upside questions. Zboril, Carlo and Harkins could all be considered safe picks but the reward aspect isn't quite where someone like White is IMO.

I guess who would have the highest floor, but not a super high ceiling.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
With Merkley, Boeser, and Eriksson Ek gone, I think I'll go with the majority. Guryanov.

Though I think trading down a few spots and taking Jonas Siegenthaler would be a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad