• Hayton

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Guess Nill/Dallas brain trust changed their minds on the kid. Veleno would surely have fallen to the 2nd round if Detroit hadn't finally taken him off the boards as I believe the defending champs took a defender?

Curious choice, given that Dellandrea has so little international exposure compared to Veleno and when both prospects were in the same intl tournament their performances were polar opposite and not at all in Ty's favor. I can understand Montreal taking Jesperi(though 3rd overall seems a bit of a reach imo), but the dawgs taking Hayton 5th and Dallas, Philly, LA, Anaheim, Columbus all taking centers with Veleno still on the board is a bit of a head scratcher. I had Veleno and Kotkaniemi neck and neck as the best 2 center prospects of this draft class and a big gap between they and Hayton. Time will tell who was right I suppose. It'll be interesting to see if Veleno plays with a chip on his shoulder after being snubbed by nearly every team in the league.

I know when Sean wrote that, the Stars were wanting to select one of Koktoniemi, Hughes, Hayton, Wahlstrom, Dellandrea, or Bokk. Veleno wasnt on the list, after seeing the names they were after I thought for sure they were going to try and trade up or down, because guys like Veleno or Kupari or Farrabee werent on the list. At the draft you could see them going through a stack of jerseys... the stars dont use name plates, so they cant just have a couple of name plates to stick on a jersey with some velcro. They actually had 6 jerseys made up for the draft, well in advance. Which they didnt even do for Heiskanen last year.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
From Shapiro’s draft preview in The Athletic:

“Also mentions that the Stars will likely be picking from a group of Veleno, Hayton, Denisenko and Kravtsov. I would think Farabee would be in there as well.

Out of all those, only Hayton was on the list I saw.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'm not sure what metric was used to determine this as I didn't see the tourney, but that isn't at all what the scoreboard showed. Dellandrea never saw the score sheet and Veleno had 7pts in 5 games. Intangibles matter...certainly, but someone would have to explain to me like I'm five what intangibles they saw in Ty that would have them choosing him 13th overall with Veleno still on the board.

I too am curious as to why Veleno fell so far. I mean it's no secret that his shot isn't anything special, so nothing new there, but in most other areas he's very skilled. I'm particularly fond of his skating and work ethic. This guy may eventually make a lot of scouts/GMs unhappy they passed on him. If there's something very conspicuosly absent in his game(aside from his well known mediocre shot), then I must be blind...I ain't seeing it. Don't buy the "lack of hockey IQ" talk going around...I never get that when I watch him.
Dellandrea outscored Veleno at the u-18 tournament . I’m just guessing here but for Veleno to drop not just 4 or 5 spots but to dam near the second round suggests to me it was an attitude / personality issue that rubbed teams the wrong way .

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Should be fun to see who came out on top in 5-10 years out of the centers that were taken in the first round.

Guf feeling but I’m guessing Veleno rounds out the top 3.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Might be the worst take you've had in a long time but I'm not surprised since most of your takes around this level.

Comical coming from you, the guy who has been wrong everytime he has posted on HFBoards.. over 76,000 times.

Solarion

Jul 27, 2018
K, you've said Veleno is awful and that you don't like him or his game.

What specifically do you not like about Veleno...or Veleno's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->