Kotkaniemi vs Borgstrom

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kotkaniemi's much better for the age and he projects better also. Borgström is more of a junior player. Kotkaniemi plays an NHL game.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Similar skill level but Borgstrom is a better skater at this point. Kotkaniemi could work on his skating too but I'd have to take the more NHL-ready player right now.

Reactions: Dabeast

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Kotka has a higher ceiling, but Borg is damn good. Got to see him play a few games at DU this last season and he was very very good.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If Kotkaniemi isn’t better than Borgstrom is now in 3 years that’ll be a major disappointment for me.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Borgstrom
I've been watching Borgstrom for the past 2 years play for the Pioneers.

He is top 10 prospect even after you include this years draft class.
When you have a freshman come into the NCHC and dominate the way he did....

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

GarryMc

Apr 17, 2018
@ Borgstrom
2IEvMC0

2kfXDtv

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Kotkaniemi's much better for the age and he projects better also. Borgström is more of a junior player. Kotkaniemi plays an NHL game.

While i don’t disagree who was better at same age because Borgström wasn’t even drafted but Borgström plays like junior player? He plays really mature game and was really smart and defensively sound at his short stint in NHL. Kotkaniemi in the other hand was frustrating to watch because he looked like junior player in Liiga making junior mistakes by forcing bad plays when there was better options. Well he was 17 year old this year and it got better by the season progressed.

To me Kotkaniemi is mystery because he has alot of potential but has low floor too. He should be more aware about his options and not to tunnelvision because he is smart guy but seems to have too much confidence at times to force bad plays. Good player know his weaknesses and limitations. I see little bit of Kopitar in him at his draft year. Played similar game pre NHL. Kopitar developed two way game after playing couple seasons in NHL.

Borgström has more unique skill set. Speed, hands, smarts and is more dynamic. So i pick him. He lacked offensive confidence in his first games which is wierd to me but he played really sound defensive game.

Positive thing to have alot of elite talents in finnish pipeline but i think Kotkaniemi is slightly overrated right now. He has alot of potential but has some major holes in his game too. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Similar skill level but Borgstrom is a better skater at this point. Kotkaniemi could work on his skating too but I'd have to take the more NHL-ready player right now.

That's a really weird way of evaluating players with an ~ 3-year gap between them.

Reactions: bert

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't really understand how Borg is losing this, but it must be the HF new toy syndrome.
He has been nothing but spectacular in his progression.

Kotkaniemi is very young and has great potential, though.

The question is who would you rather have, not who's better today.

Borgstrom has to be better with being 3 years older, but I'm condfident by that age Kotkaniemi has proven to be a NHL regular.
Borgstrom is a good bet to make more highlight moves but Kotkaniemie could have a bigger overall impact on the game, and at C.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That's a really weird way of evaluating players with an ~ 3-year gap between them.

As I said, Kotkaniemi's ceiling isn't higher than Borgstrom's, so I'd take the guy with a more certain NHL future. Comparing Borgstrom at 18 to Kotkaniemi at 18 is pointless.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
As I said, Kotkaniemi's ceiling isn't higher than Borgstrom's, so I'd take the guy with a more certain NHL future. Comparing Borgstrom at 18 to Kotkaniemi at 18 is pointless.

You might have thought that, but you didn't say that. If that's your opinion, it makes more sense than what you said.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I realy don't know why we are comparing guys who are exacly 3 years appart, both didnt, play the NHL yet ( 4 games does not realy count) Borgstrom wasn't drafted in his eligible year... and had a crazy progression...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad