Kostitsyn vs Semin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

I have a strong distaste for both but i'll go with semin. I think semin is going to be a solid NHL 2nd or first liner. Given that he's going to be able to play with ovechkin i feel that raises his stock further

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Bonzai said:
I feel like they're very similar players, but Semin has proven he can score in the NHL so I'll take him.

10 goals in 52 games....How is that proven that Semin can score??? Semin hasn't proved anything yet.

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
10 goals in 52 games....How is that proven that Semin can score??? Semin hasn't proved anything yet.

So, have you ever seen him play...? I'm thinking you havnt, and that means you arent aware that for the first half of the season he got trash minutes until cassidy was finally fired. I also bet if somebody called Phaneuf unproven to you, youd go off on a tirade even though he hasn't played one game in the nhl. Stats dont show everything like the amazing moves Semin has and that he will be able to continually pull throughout his career. I guess being 3rd in the RSL goes for nothing these days.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Semin had/has the chance to break 20 goals in the RSL, which is lighting it up over there. "Elite" means 15+.

And playing for a low scoring Lada team.

That said, I haven't seen enough of Kostitsyn.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
bryan579 said:
Stats dont show everything like the amazing moves Semin has and that he will be able to continually pull throughout his career. I guess being 3rd in the RSL goes for nothing these days.

3rd in goals (behind Pavel Rosa and Frolov), 22nd in points. That's pretty good for a player his age.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Semin was more effective last year in the NHL at age 19 than Kostitsyn is this year in the AHL at age 19.

Semin, and it isn't close.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I prefer Kostitsyn ... but only and only because we IMO already have a semin type of player in perezhogin !
Kostitsyn is not playing the same style of semin only comparison IMO both are highly skilled...
also if you tell me who to take between semin and perezhogin i'm going with Semin ! :D

BORAT

Feb 8, 2005
Kazakhstan
The Way I see it,

Semin has not been that spectacular ( from what I gather) in his NHL Debut 22 points in 52 games ( as a highly touted prospect hmmm.) but then again what will Kostsitsyn's point total look like in his fisrst season ? hmmm.

but these are very very different players, on one hand you have a guy who can carry his team on his shoulders ( Kost,Belarus), andthe other has shown to be more of a follower in his role ( Russia, Semin) I guess the arrival of Ovechkin will help !

But do not forget ! Ovechkin is not a tough person to shut down, he may have Lemieux-ish skills, but has shown he will back off if physically confronted.

This is the thing that diferentiates him from guys like Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lemieux, Forsberg etc...

Semin at best might turn out 60 to 70 point seasons in Rucinskyish ways ( Rucinsky & Jagr style) but with a center not willing to sacrifice himself... well his rookie season talks for itself.

as for Kostsitsyn, only time will tell, he has not had the opportunity yet to show us what he can do

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Chisbenbengood said:
The Way I see it,

Semin has not been that spectacular ( from what I gather) in his NHL Debut 22 points in 52 games ( as a highly touted prospect hmmm.) but then again what will Kostsitsyn's point total look like in his fisrst season ? hmmm.

but these are very very different players, on one hand you have a guy who can carry his team on his shoulders ( Kost,Belarus), andthe other has shown to be more of a follower in his role ( Russia, Semin) I guess the arrival of Ovechkin will help !

But do not forget ! Ovechkin is not a tough person to shut down, he may have Lemieux-ish skills, but has shown he will back off if physically confronted.

This is the thing that diferentiates him from guys like Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lemieux, Forsberg etc...

Semin at best might turn out 60 to 70 point seasons in Rucinskyish ways ( Rucinsky & Jagr style) but with a center not willing to sacrifice himself... well his rookie season talks for itself.

as for Kostsitsyn, only time will tell, he has not had the opportunity yet to show us what he can do

Ovechkin not tough to shut down, bc he shies away from physicality? Which is was seperates him from Kovalchuck, etc.? Semin, a follower? Not willing to sacrifice himself? Talk about pulling an elephant out of your a$$. :lol

BORAT

Feb 8, 2005
Kazakhstan
you don't have to be rude buddy, I'm just giving my opinion from what I saw,

you can just say agree to disagree ! lol !

and if you think I'm pulling an elephant out of my a$$ you should see what Pierre Mcguire thinks about Ovechkin's antics.
And also a guy called Phaneuf who ran the guy off the rink.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
I prefer Kostitsyn ... but only and only because we IMO already have a semin type of player in perezhogin !
Kostitsyn is not playing the same style of semin only comparison IMO both are highly skilled...
also if you tell me who to take between semin and perezhogin i'm going with Semin ! :D

Same thing for me. I think Kostitsyn might become a better player because he's learning how to play defensively and phisically(we had the chance to notice that at the WJC). He will not become a power foward but he will never be shy when a game will become phisical...

As for the Semin/Perezhogin comparaison, I think it's pretty accurate. They play the same type of game and have almost the same potential. The only thing is that Semin might score more goals than Perez...

And for those who take Semin over Kostitsyn sooooo easily and by a wide margin, can you explain me why?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Chisbenbengood said:
The Way I see it,

What I don't think people realize is that Semin was 19 last season. If he was Canadian he'd still might have been in juniors. Even Frolov came over at 20 years old.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Same thing for me. I think Kostitsyn might become a better player because he's learning how to play defensively and phisically(we had the chance to notice that at the WJC). He will not become a power foward but he will never be shy when a game will become phisical...

As for the Semin/Perezhogin comparaison, I think it's pretty accurate. They play the same type of game and have almost the same potential. The only thing is that Semin might score more goals than Perez...

And for those who take Semin over Kostitsyn sooooo easily and by a wide margin, can you explain me why?

Kostitsyn and Semin probably have equal potential, but Semin is clearly farther ahead in his development.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Chisbenbengood said:
you don't have to be rude buddy, I'm just giving my opinion from what I saw,

you can just say agree to disagree ! lol !

and if you think I'm pulling an elephant out of my a$$ you should see what Pierre Mcguire thinks about Ovechkin's antics.
And also a guy called Phaneuf who ran the guy off the rink.

Ovechkin's "antics" or lack thereof have been well-documented. He wasn't "run off the rink" by Phaneuf.

I wasn't actually being rude, but I understand how that came across. I actually found your post amusing. It was somewhere below the bottom segment of "The Divided Line".

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Captain Conservative said:
Kostitsyn and Semin probably have equal potential, but Semin is clearly farther ahead in his development.

Obviously. Semin is almost a year older (11 months to be accurate). Do you realize what one year can do in a young prospect's career?

I'll take both of them, though. Can't decide. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad