Post-Game Talk: Koskivezina

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Is the loser point purely for the morale of fans/players? Go home with a point in your pocket and a smile on your face after a loss. I guess it would make sense to try to boost the overall morale of your fan base. It doesn't really do much otherwise.

Edit: Nevermind, I think it has more to do with the shootout than anything.
Loser point only make sense if reguation wins are 3 points, and extra time wins are 2.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The old system was better with each team getting 1 point and ending in a tie?

I like the loser point better then ending in a tie.
The problem with a tie, is how terrible it made the last 10mins, and Overtime in the regular season.

2 tentative teams not wanting to relinquish the point they have in hand.

In the DPE it really made a lot of games completely unwatchable.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
The problem with a tie, is how terrible it made the last 10mins, and Overtime in the regular season.

2 tentative teams not wanting to relinquish the point they have in hand.

In the DPE it really made a lot of games completely unwatchable.

This is true but, the last 10 minutes of a tie game is still the worst 10 minutes of hockey all game as long as it stays tied. Of course that's followed by probably the best 5 minutes(or less) of entertainment that game.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
So why wouldn't the opponent just chip and chase to one side and overload that to insure zone entry on a PP? So few players even think to chip it off the boards or anything like that. Another option, one never used, is to Just blast a slapshot so hard it might hit some of those players holding the line, or at worst bounce off the end boards making it difficult for the goalie to play.

If I'm seeing that blueline as a set I'm looking at ways to exploit it.

Further to this is with a new coach, and a new goalie teams don't really know what to bring right now. Theres more uncertainty for opponents than there would normally be.

But that's the advantage, temporarily, with any changes like this. Remains to be seen if the positive stick. Coaches and teams will make adjustments just like they did in response to McLellan or Talbot.
The defending team has strength in numbers and inside position against a few forecheckers in a chip-and-chase play. True, the forecheckers have momentum in their favour, but this is mitigated by what I just stated. I would think, though, that it's mostly a tactical maneuvre against a team that has a preference for carrying the puck in on the PP.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
All I read is, "I don't like reality."
Drivesaitl already explained the motivation pretty well. For me, .500 is supposed to mean a team is a bubble team for making the playoffs. With loser points, a straight comparison between W's and L's is no longer meaningful toward that end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad