Koskinen to start vs. Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Our Defence has been better. Gravel and Bouchard have been a relevation. If the team can play that tight in zone coverage they've played for the most part these last couple days, Koskinen has a fighting chance here. He just needs to not let the softies in and come up with a couple big saves. He won't em all, but if the Oilers can play good team D he might be able to escape without being embarrassed.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
imo even if we lost because of it, at least we got to see. I just hope he wasn't made too rusty, but I'll still expect good things.

Maybe all the extra practice time on the smaller rink will have helped him, not hurt him.

Here's hoping.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That's not how being a backup works.
there are a lot of assumptions about how the league treats goaltending that are destined to be proven wrong. It is increasingly obvious that a 1a/1b tandem is more than just a luxury. It's a sizable advantage

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
there are a lot of assumptions about how the league treats goaltending that are destined to be proven wrong. It is increasingly obvious that a 1a/1b tandem is more than just a luxury. It's a sizable advantage

Is it?

Mostly the top ten teams last year had clear starters.

Nashville
Winnipeg
Toronto
Tampa
Boston
Vegas
Washington
Toronto
Minnesota
Anaheim
Pittsburgh

6 of those teams had starters play 60ish games.
Boston, Vegas, Washington, and Pittsburgh didn't.
Pitts and Vegas likely would have given their starters more games but they missed time to injury.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
I wonder who is more tensed on his Oiler debut....Mikko or chiarelli? I say Peter is more tensed than anyone else

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is it?

Mostly the top ten teams last year had clear starters.

Nashville
Winnipeg
Toronto
Tampa
Boston
Vegas
Washington
Toronto
Minnesota
Anaheim
Pittsburgh

6 of those teams had starters play 60ish games.
Boston, Vegas, Washington, and Pittsburgh didn't.
Pitts and Vegas likely would have given their starters more games but they missed time to injury.
I will say that first off, a lot of time, a 1a/b setup occurs from dumb luck, from injury.
like for instance, Vegas had Fleury play 46 games, and Subban 22. I say that this gave Vegas an advantage over other teams though. Fleury recovered stamina while he was recovering, and that helped Vegas overachieve in the playoffs.

Then there's situations like New Jersey and Washington, who had their starters beaten outright by their backups, and this became an undeniable factor in how these teams had marquee seasons.

You mention Nashville, which I find puzzling btw, since they are one of the biggest proofs of the benefit of 1a/1b. Saros had often covered brilliantly when Rinne was injured, and often he covered Rinne when Rinne had long stretches of bad play. Yes, Rinne still got 60 starts last season, but even that could the result of a bad assumption. Ultimately, Nashville still serves my point since Nashville is known for having an extremely talented backup that many teams would like to have as their starter, and ever since Nashville has found him, they've been one of the top teams in the west. Imho, that is not a coincidence.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Chance are low the team will win. I don't think they trust him else he would have relieved Talbot in some games by now.

I don't think Todd trusts him either, for the same reasons you posted. After watching him in preseason, I can't imagine why :)

Hoping for the best, but mentally preparing myself for the worst

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
We must give Koskenkorva time, sooner then later! I hope ffs that Talbot doesnt get injured 15 games or so, that had meant season over!

Why in hell cant they find a so so stopgap who can take max 15 games a season!

Should had kept Nilsson, he could steal one here and there! Gus, Brossoit,Montoya and now Koskenkorva, the goaliescout needs to leave Edmonton territority with a one way ticket!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I will say that first off, a lot of time, a 1a/b setup occurs from dumb luck, from injury.
like for instance, Vegas had Fleury play 46 games, and Subban 22. I say that this gave Vegas an advantage over other teams though. Fleury recovered stamina while he was recovering, and that helped Vegas overachieve in the playoffs.

Then there's situations like New Jersey and Washington, who had their starters beaten outright by their backups, and this became an undeniable factor in how these teams had marquee seasons.

You mention Nashville, which I find puzzling btw, since they are one of the biggest proofs of the benefit of 1a/1b.

1A/1B refers to when a team has two goalies they see as relative equals.

This would be like Fernandez/Roloson under Lemaire. The guys would get a relatively equal number of starts and also rotate through the playoffs.

What you are referring to is having a good backup.

Rinne played 59 games last year and all the playoff games. That's a clear 1-2 scenario.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
1A/1B refers to when a team has two goalies they see as relative equals.

This would be like Fernandez/Roloson under Lemaire. The guys would get a relatively equal number of starts and also rotate through the playoffs.

What you are referring to is having a good backup.

Rinne played 59 games last year and all the playoff games. That's a clear 1-2 scenario.
I also said that there are assumptions in the NHL that are going to be proven wrong, and even teams that have great backups could be guilty of them. I think there are situations in the league where the good backup really could be a 1b starter, but those teams choose to play their main guy more. That's part of why I pointed to situations like Vegas and Washington specifically, where there were factors that led their main starter to play less than usual during the season (in washington's case, Grubauer was playing a ton late in the season), and imo that gave their teams a big advantage in the playoffs. It might be as simple as stamina, but it could be other things too.

But ultimately, exact wording doesn't matter. Even just having a great backup, or someone to challenge Talbot would be a great advantage for this team, just so we don't have to gamble our whole future on one player, and on that we would definitely agree. Maybe Koskinen could be a true 1B like what Schneider was for Vancouver, or maybe he could even be the 1A here. Tmac should approaching Koskinen with that attitude until proven otherwise. So far, I don't think Tmac has.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So many things going against us today, afternoon game, back up starting, and a team we havent beat forever

A win would be so so huge for this club.

Reactions: McBeastMode

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
OZhSm2l.gif

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Odd thread to necromance. Surely there's a Koskinen thread whose title isn't perplexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->