Koskinen to start vs. Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Koskinen will tend the twine for Saturday's road trip to Nashville.

I’ve got him on my keeper team... Hoping he steals the starter job from Talbot... What do you guys think about the chances of that happening?

Thanks

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
It's about time to get him in a game. I think this is a matchup that makes sense to play him in too. Talbot's never beat the preds as an oiler and the team has done poorly against them. Maybe that seems like it doesn't bode well for him, but maybe it gives the guys a feeling of starting fresh instead of battling back against a history of losing.

Worst case scenario we lose, but I think the coaching staff has to look at this matchup as pretty much a throwaway game anyway. A free chance to see what Koskinen can do.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Chance are low the team will win. I don't think they trust him else he would have relieved Talbot in some games by now.

Reactions: Shathar

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
If he plays amazingly and manages to get them a win, I could see Todd being Todd and going right back to Talbot the next game instead of riding the hot goalie. It's not like Todd's career is dependant on them making the playoffs or anything.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Even if Koskinen gets a shutout against the Predators doesn't mean he's the new starter or anything. He legitimately has to win the job outright from Talbot. But as far as Mclellan goes there hasn't been any opportunity or competition to see what we have in Koskinen.

There really has to be a better rotation or something. Todd can't just go to Talbot and ask if he wants to play, he has to make the decision. If he's just asking Cam, then it's a obvious answer.

Chiarelli signed Koskinen not just to be a backup, but maybe see if he could challenge Talbot for the spot. So far Todd has pissed all over that strategy.

Talbot is in a contract year he'll be even more protective of his spot and won't want anyone near the net. If Talbot plays another 70 game year I can only imagine what his contract demands are. This team needs to see if Koskinen is a starter too. We can't afford to be spending vast cash on the goalie position. The team won't have any leverage in bargaining if Talbot sucks up all the starts, and Koskinen just walks elsewhere because he didn't get a legitimate chance here.

What do you guys think Talbot will be asking for next year?

Reactions: McCombo and Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even if Koskinen gets a shutout against the Predators doesn't mean he's the new starter or anything. He legitimately has to win the job outright from Talbot. But as far as Mclellan goes there hasn't been any opportunity or competition to see what we have in Koskinen.

There really has to be a better rotation or something. Todd can't just go to Talbot and ask if he wants to play, he has to make the decision. If he's just asking Cam, then it's a obvious answer.

Chiarelli signed Koskinen not just to be a backup, but maybe see if he could challenge Talbot for the spot. So far Todd has pissed all over that strategy.

Talbot is in a contract year he'll be even more protective of his spot and won't want anyone near the net. If Talbot plays another 70 game year I can only imagine what his contract demands are. This team needs to see if Koskinen is a starter too. We can't afford to be spending vast cash on the goalie position. The team won't have any leverage in bargaining if Talbot sucks up all the starts, and Koskinen just walks elsewhere because he didn't get a legitimate chance here.

I picture Talbot getting 6 million on the open market if he plays well. We could get him for a bit less

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I picture Talbot getting 6 million on the open market if he plays well. We could get him for a bit less

Is there any market out there for Talbot at $6 Mil? Seriously, which team needs him?? At that or any price? He's simply not that great. Oilers can do better, so here's your lowball offer or buh bye

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Is there any market out there for Talbot at $6 Mil? Seriously, which team needs him?? At that or any price? He's simply not that great. Oilers can do better, so here's your lowball offer or buh bye
Columbus if Bob leaves, St Louis if Allen continues playing like crap, NYI, Buffalo if Hutton doesn't pan out, Carolina, Philly, our friends down south in Shelbyville, etc. If Talbot has a half decent year he'll get $6M on the open market easily, there's a lot of teams who could see him as an upgrade.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Koskinen is only playing tomorrow because of the back to back games this weekend. Oilers playing like trash against the Predators played a factor too.

We'll see Talbot as soon as Sunday and Koskinen will warm the bench for another few weeks again.

We're riding McDavid and Talbot hard. That's the McLellan way.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Koskinen is only playing tomorrow because of the back to back games this weekend. Oilers playing like trash against the Predators played a factor too.

We'll see Talbot as soon as Sunday and Koskinen will warm the bench for another few weeks again.

We're riding McDavid and Talbot hard. That's the McLellan way.

tbh though, given how the Oilers schedule was to start the season, I'm not sure any other coach or team would have done anything differently. They had a week off between Games 1 and 2, then at least one day off between each subsequent game, with no back to backs.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
tbh though, given how the Oilers schedule was to start the season, I'm not sure any other coach or team would have done anything differently. They had a week off between Games 1 and 2, then at least one day off between each subsequent game, with no back to backs.

I definitely understand. My main gripe is there were times when Talbot should have been relieved midgame due to letting in several quick goals, whether due to his own poor play or the team in front of him, just to wake the team up.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Being that he hasn’t played in ages, I’m scared. My prediction is he will be a rebound machine. Lol

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Agree. McLellan's goalie management is brutal.

Hopefully Koskinen can get some starts. We need better goaltending moving forward.

Talbot, as of this moment has barely been more good than bad. He needs a strong year to get real starting money. 5 at the most is what I am thinking.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's not an enviable position to step into as a back-up but the schedule has not been an easy one. How sweet would it be for Koskinen's first start to be our first win against Nashville in like 15 games? As for Koskinen being the starter, Talbot would need to crap the bed and Koskinen will have to play lights out for it to happen.

Reactions: Belieber
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->