Koskinen stealing the starting job?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I been reading alot about Koskinen here and i was amazed how many people down talked him, too big salary, hes not gonna do well in NHL, he is backup goalie at best if even that...the smile on my face now while i write this and watch the vids of Koskinen... my face hurts lmao. He has been playin so ****in good, just keep playing him and forget Talbot!

he's legit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you even remember your posts?

I don't have to, everybody else does..badabang!

OK, I'm jk.

But what I meant with "evaluate" is that I need more information. Except if I'm pissing all over the latest Chia acquisition...

kind of jk again. Although I did that with Spooner.

I know people are keeping score anyway but I liked Gravel, Rieder, Rattie additions. Also Maroon, liked that one a lot. I manage to like some of the additions.

Goalies are a whole different beast and in fairness the hardest position in sports to evaluate.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

OK, I'm jk.

But what I meant with "evaluate" is that I need more information. Except if I'm pissing all over the latest Chia acquisition...

I know people are keeping score anyway but I liked Gravel, Rieder, Rattie additions. Also Maroon, liked that one a lot. I manage to like some of the additions.

Goalies are a whole different beast and in fairness the hardest position in sports to evaluate.

Just admit that Koskinen is god!

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015

OK, I'm jk.

Do you even remember your posts?
In all fairness Peter F'n Chiarelli paid a lot of $$$ to give an unproven NHL goalie a shot. It has worked well so far but considering Chias history, there was plenty of reason to be skeptical.

Edit: I absolutely supported that aquisition from day one. It was a gamble though and I was starting to think we were screwed when he played a few preseason games. He's killing it right now. I hope he keeps it up.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In all fairness Peter F'n Chiarelli paid a lot of $$$ to give an unproven NHL goalie a shot. It has worked well so far but considering Chias history, there was plenty of reason to be skeptical.

I heard yesterday that the Islanders were in on acquiring Koskinen as well which drove up the price.

That said Chia looks to me like he deserves some credit for this signing and I am not a Chia apologist in any way.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Try not to let fear (nor love) blind you Oilers fans. I suspect the European scouts (perhaps Matti Virmanen) were behind this acquisition. A European goalie out of the KHL had to be from different staff. NOT firing the North American scouts behind Larson/Strome looks to be on Chia, but that's OT here.

Regardless, I am here to gloat. I trusted the signing based on value and liked what I saw of Koskinen in September. My opinion was partially based on the poor/variable play of Dadbot.

Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters
Koskinen

If it was a sure thing the Oilers wouldn't have signed him for only $2.5M
If he was garbage the Oilers wouldn't have signed him at all

Clearly he warrants a shot in the NHL. We can argue about it, but like any backup he's got to be ready when given the right opportunities. I personally think the variability in overall Oiler performance and specific Talbot performance over the last 3 seasons warrants a vote for Koskinen ITT.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Try not to let fear (nor love) blind you Oilers fans. I suspect the European scouts (perhaps Matti Virmanen) were behind this acquisition. A European goalie out of the KHL had to be from different staff. NOT firing the North American scouts behind Larson/Strome looks to be on Chia, but that's OT here.

Regardless, I am here to gloat. I trusted the signing based on value and liked what I saw of Koskinen in September. My opinion was partially based on the poor/variable play of Dadbot.

Backup Goaltenders ready to be starters

Apparently Kurri brought it to Gretzky's attention who pushed it on to Chia.

Felt Koskinen was better than anything we had already

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not as tough as it is for some people to admit his screw ups

Well..I dont see a need to polarize this discussion between Chia supporters and non supporters and point fingers.

I was just trying to say that he has done some good things and acquiring Koskinen is actually a big deal.
He did well there.

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Not sure if you are reffering to that post or Dels post. GM was not speaking specifically of me.

I have no problem admitting I'm wrong, if I'm wrong. So far the results indicate I'm wrong. I'm also an Oilers fan. I have an ingrained tendency to feel that every incoming is going to be more ****.

Longstanding affiliation with being a fan of the team has not inured me to be a glass full type of fan or a Grass is greener believer. Those are my learned biases, because Oilers...;)

Albeit those are rationalizations for complaining..

Fair enough.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just watched the Koskinen post game interview. He is just so calm and even.

As a fan I am actually starting to feel calm when he is in net. His style even has a calmness to it...he just never seems to get rattled.

Its such a foreign feeling (a lack of worry) to experience watching a goalie on this team but I like it. :nod:

More please. :D

Last edited:

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Brossoit is killing it in Winnipeg. No goalie in my short memory has gotten better while wearing an Oilers jersey. They only degrade over time. The pessimist in me is saying that unless we give Koskinen a stupid contract, he will go elsewhere at the end of the year. I have too much PTSD to imagine him being a reliable starter for years to come.

Reactions: Porkleaker

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
As mentioned in the PGT, Kurri was GM for the Finnish national team until 13/14 and then GM for Jokerit, which plays in KHL. Given the position he is in if he gives advice on a Finnish goalie playing in the KHL I'd take that pretty seriously. He is very much in the business and would obviously know Koskinen pretty good from both his work with the national team and from being a GM for a KHL team.

Reactions: Kiekura

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Brossoit is killing it in Winnipeg. No goalie in my short memory has gotten better while wearing an Oilers jersey. They only degrade over time. The pessimist in me is saying that unless we give Koskinen a stupid contract, he will go elsewhere at the end of the year. I have too much PTSD to imagine him being a reliable starter for years to come.

I've been expecting the same, Luckily we've got Chiarelli still, so you know a ridiculous contract is coming lol. But then he'll start sucking like Talbot because Schwartz will ruin his game.. Just expecting the worst, life as an Oiler fan.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Co

****ing laughable. I may have missed some posts too.

That whole thread is him trashing Koskinen based on a five minute video, and talking down to Finnish and KHL posters who watched Koskinen play for years.

So I went back to the thread, read a lot of the posts in it and of course my posts, and select comments in it were selectively posted by you here for the chief purpose of whatever agenda you have against my posting. This just being the latest instance. Yet I could find no instance in which I was talking down to Finnish and KHL posters. I can find several instances in which I'm engaging people playfully, in good humor, and certainly not talking down to "Finnish and KHL posters. Nor was one post by myself in that thread deemed inappropriate, infracted, deleted, or anything like that.

I accept the part that presently it would seem I'm wrong on Koskinen. But I also said in the thread multiple times that assessing goaltending is like voodoo. One of the hardest things to do. That even chronically befuddles pro scouts. Multiple times mentioned that goaltender selection is often a crapshoot.

Of course you quoting one poster out of context when a lot of posters had similar concerns is not trying to accurately reflect the dialog that occurred in that thread, or by me. But when you falsely post the bolded it goes a lot farther, it makes your intent clear, and that is on you.

Last edited:

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017

Roloson and Salo were better in Edmonton than in their previous stops. Maybe you're too young to remember though.

Ideally the Oilers can sign Koskinen for 4 years x 4M AAV. Then, sign a backup for 2M. Actually reduce the cap number for the position. It's really looking like Talbot has lost his shot. He might need to sign somewhere for 1 year at 2.5M just for an opportunity next summer. Could see Ottawa giving him a chance.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I agree with your last bit absolutely. Disagree with the first part just as strongly.

Koskinen was brought in and paid to potentially be our starter next year.

He has that potentially and is currently playing that way. At some point, soon, a decision will have to be made who we are moving forward with. I'm not sure how good the Goalie market is this off season but barring a miracle Talbot will not be getting another starting job period and picking up a legit starter is unlikely from UFA or trade.

Koskinen was brought in to give us the OPTION. The whole point is to let it play out. He's a pending UFA no matter what, and it isn't like he'd be inclined to give us a discount now, especially with Talbot playing so poorly and him doing so well. Odds are he'll have a rough patch and Talbot will run a hot streak too.... which entirely changes the negotiation dynamic in our favor. In short: give it time.

The whole point of a 1A/1B tandem is to run the hot guy and to pay them collectively the same as the A++ starter and have better collective consistency given the coaches optionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad