Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lol man if they were thinking of getting a Kiprusoff out of Koskinen than they were ****ing high

Kipper was one of the most athletic goalies of all time.. Koskinen is a ****ing slow ass refrigerator

I still have time for Yamamoto, he's still pretty young. Players who were drafted at the same time as him as still in juniors while he's already playing pro. He just needs to do what he does in NHL pre-season more often
Lol slow ass refrigerator. That made me laugh.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Great game from Koskinen tonight. The team did a great job preventing cross ice passes tonight (did they even really get one besides the goal?), which really plays into Koskinen’s wheelhouse, and he stepped up to reward it.

It still baffles me how a goalie can be this good at stopping the puck but so catastrophically bad at one timers, wraparounds, dekes, etc.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Like I've been saying, Kosko would stabilize once our D stabilizes which it has. We've seen this Kosko before, it's the same Kosko we had during our Hitch induced winning streak. Where are all the posters now that tried to convince me Talbot was better and Kosko sucked? No where to be found tonight that's for sure. Although even in past nights these last 2 weeks where Kosko has played well enough for us to win (cept the Oilers cant score), they come out and sh*t on Kosko for letting a wopping 2 goals in.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Koskinen is better than Talbot, that is certain.

However he has seemed to slow as the season has gone on. I wonder if his conditioning is good enough to be a full time nhl starter.

Hopefully it's something a good summer of training can help with.

I still see a goalie that could be elite but something has slowed his effectiveness overall.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Where are all the posters now that tried to convince me Talbot was better and Kosko sucked? No where to be found tonight that's for sure.

I literally bumped the thread to give him credit :huh:

He still has issues with mobility and it shows every time we play a team that makes lots of cross ice passes. It’s not like people criticizing him said he’s never going to have a good game, or that he can’t stop a shot that comes straight on. Last nights game did nothing to prove he can be a starter. He still needs to show improvement in his skating

However he has seemed to slow as the season has gone on. I wonder if his conditioning is good enough to be a full time nhl starter.

Hopefully it's something a good summer of training can help with.

I still see a goalie that could be elite but something has slowed his effectiveness overall.

It’s just his skating in general. He’s actually very good when the player just shoots. When there’s lateral movement though, it’s too easy to open him up.

I agree he needs a good summer of training. If he can go and work on his skating this summer he could be a starter. If he doesn’t, he’s never going to be more than an ok backup. He just completely lacks that explosive push to get across that goalies need in the modern NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

He still has issues with mobility and it shows every time we play a team that makes lots of cross ice passes. It’s not like people criticizing him said he’s never going to have a good game, or that he can’t stop a shot that comes straight on. Last nights game did nothing to prove he can be a starter. He still needs to show improvement in his skating
Lol gives him credit yet discredits him in the same post.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lol gives him credit yet discredits him in the same post.
Not sure of your reading comprehension, but he gave him credit for the game. But says there are still some holes and concerns in his overall game, wondering if it can be sustained, and we're still not sure he can be a 100 % full time starter. Not sure how that assessment garners a lol.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not sure of your reading comprehension, but he gave him credit for the game. But says there are still some holes and concerns in his overall game, wondering if it can be sustained, and we're still not sure he can be a 100 % full time starter. Not sure how that assessment garners a lol.
Oh great my number 1 fan.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Like I've been saying, Kosko would stabilize once our D stabilizes which it has. We've seen this Kosko before, it's the same Kosko we had during our Hitch induced winning streak. Where are all the posters now that tried to convince me Talbot was better and Kosko sucked? No where to be found tonight that's for sure. Although even in past nights these last 2 weeks where Kosko has played well enough for us to win (cept the Oilers cant score), they come out and sh*t on Kosko for letting a wopping 2 goals in.

My lord, if looking good as a goalie against the hapless Anaheim Ducks is reason to anoint a goalie than every goalie in the league is safe at home plate..

The Ducks score 2 goals a night, they did last night, fortunately the tying goal was called back.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It’s just his skating in general. He’s actually very good when the player just shoots. When there’s lateral movement though, it’s too easy to open him up.

I agree he needs a good summer of training. If he can go and work on his skating this summer he could be a starter. If he doesn’t, he’s never going to be more than an ok backup. He just completely lacks that explosive push to get across that goalies need in the modern NHL.
Cross ice passes into one timers he struggles with... like every starter in the League. There’s no starter that has that “skill” down. But there are defences in this league that don’t allow those 10 bell chances to happen in the first place, we don’t have that kind of defence.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
My lord, if looking good as a goalie against the hapless Anaheim Ducks is reason to anoint a goalie than every goalie in the league is safe at home plate..

The Ducks score 2 goals a night, they did last night, fortunately the tying goal was called back.

They scored one, you don’t count the goals that don’t count. That’s kind of how it works. Or should we start blaming Kosko for the times he gets kneed in the chest and gets put out of position letting a goal in. I guess Talbot wouldn’t have been pushed back with a player barrellibg right into him with his positionally sound suction cup goal pads.

But yeh, shit Ducks sure. But it’s just one more game on top of many since Klefbombs been back, including the run he had when Hitch first got here, including outplaying Talbot when the entire year, that makes him our starter. Is he the best starter in the league? Nope, but he’s the best we’ve had in 2 years with the potential to be even better.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Cross ice passes into one timers he struggles with... like every starter in the League. There’s no starter that has that “skill” down. But there are defences in this league that don’t allow those 10 bell chances to happen in the first place, we don’t have that kind of defence.

No. He’s MUCH worse at them than an actual starter. Better goalies stop lots of those shots. For him it’s basically a guaranteed goal.

We don’t have that kind of defense? Our defense just played a damn near perfect game last night. They let one pass through, and it ended up in our net. Otherwise, they controlled the Ducks all night.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No. He’s MUCH worse at them than an actual starter. Better goalies stop lots of those shots. For him it’s basically a guaranteed goal.

We don’t have that kind of defense? Our defense just played a damn near perfect game last night. They let one pass through, and it ended up in our net. Otherwise, they controlled the Ducks all night.

It’s the hardest shot in the NHL to stop. Tell Ovie and his record setting goal pace that goalies have figured out the cross ice one timer. Tell Stamkos and Kucherov too.

You forgot about Ritchies point blank slot shot but sure we played well on defence for one night. The real question is how well did we play when both Russell and Klefbom was out? League worst or close to. And look what happened to Koskos numbers. Now that the defence is back to average were seeing average to good performances by our starter. Funny how that works.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Damn near perfect? Eh? I saw plenty of defensive break downs last night. Honestly too that disallowed Anaheim goal should've counted too, why didn't we get any of those damn calls in the 2017 playoffs?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s the hardest shot in the NHL to stop. Tell Ovie and his record setting goal pace that goalies have figured out the cross ice one timer. Tell Stamkos and Kucherov too.

You forgot about Ritchies point blank slot shot but sure we played well on defence for one night. The real question is how well did we play when both Russell and Klefbom was out? League worst or close to. And look what happened to Koskos numbers. Now that the defence is back to average were seeing average to good performances by our starter. Funny how that works.

It is hard, but it’s not like Ovi is the one who’s been scoring every goal. And just look at the games against the Islanders. Lehner was robbing us on those chances. You can’t just let in every one timer.

Those shots like Ritchie’s are the ones he does well on though. He’s extremely hard to beat one on one when the player tries to shoot. I have the utmost confidence in him stopping those shots. He’s big, and has solid fundamentals. It’s the ability he shows that makes it so frustrating to watch him try and play any chance that has lateral movement. He simply doesn’t skate well enough, and badly needs to work on his quickness getting across.

You can’t just say oh well, our defense isn’t perfect so we’ll just lose every game until everyone’s healthy. Every team battles through injuries. Your goalie has to be one of the guys to step up, and Koskinen collapses. And even with everyone healthy, the teams that move the puck well have still lit up Koskinen because he can’t get himself in a position to stop the puck.

He can be a very good goalie if he does a ton of dry land training this summer to work on getting more explosive power in his legs. If not, he’s going to continue to struggle

Damn near perfect? Eh? I saw plenty of defensive break downs last night. Honestly too that disallowed Anaheim goal should've counted too, why didn't we get any of those damn calls in the 2017 playoffs?

Perfect for Koskinen. You can give up point blank chances all day with Koskinen in net. You just can’t let the opposition pass down low, and we did very well to prevent that

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It is hard, but it’s not like Ovi is the one who’s been scoring every goal. And just look at the games against the Islanders. Lehner was robbing us on those chances. You can’t just let in every one timer.

Those shots like Ritchie’s are the ones he does well on though. He’s extremely hard to beat one on one when the player tries to shoot. I have the utmost confidence in him stopping those shots. He’s big, and has solid fundamentals. It’s the ability he shows that makes it so frustrating to watch him try and play any chance that has lateral movement. He simply doesn’t skate well enough, and badly needs to work on his quickness getting across.

You can’t just say oh well, our defense isn’t perfect so we’ll just lose every game until everyone’s healthy. Every team battles through injuries. Your goalie has to be one of the guys to step up, and Koskinen collapses. And even with everyone healthy, the teams that move the puck well have still lit up Koskinen because he can’t get himself in a position to stop the puck.

He can be a very good goalie if he does a ton of dry land training this summer to work on getting more explosive power in his legs. If not, he’s going to continue to struggle

Perfect for Koskinen. You can give up point blank chances all day with Koskinen in net. You just can’t let the opposition pass down low, and we did very well to prevent that

It's the hardest shot to stop, and you are acting like Kosko has "issues" with them. My point is you can't fault him for occasionally letting in the hardest shot in the game, all starters do that. Islanders game? Please tell me when we loaded up cross ice one timers against them, let alone anyone this year. We don't even have that shot as an option with our roster. Drai is the only one who can pull it off, and he gets an opportunity on net like that like once in 10 games.

Yes, he's great at staring down a shooter one on one. And he can make glove saves unlike Talbot. Combination of size, reflexes, and battle leads him to stopping those. Maybe his lateral movement is not elite, but to my eye it's not a weakness in his game. But then my eyes are used to watching Talbot not even TRY to get across half the time, so maybe I'm positively biased towards Kosko for that reason.

Our defense is bad to average. It's been like this for the last decade and we haven't had a goalie to be able to win us games DESPITE that bad defence. Until now, Kosko when he's really on has this ability to win us games. And that's why I'm on Team Kosko.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Anaheim had several chances down low though, including (hate to admit it) a beauty pass by Perry from behind the net that caught our D completely sleeping.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Anaheim had several chances down low though, including (hate to admit it) a beauty pass by Perry from behind the net that caught our D completely sleeping.

I don’t disagree. But I’ll take all of those chances over a single cross ice pass when Koskinen is in net. The team played to our goalie’s strength last night, and gave Koskinen a chance to get us the win

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ritchie has what, 6 goals all year? Its like Lucic in the slot. it all looks good. f***, Koski sold that save, made it look more difficult than it was for drama pts. It wasn't a laser, he saw all of it, and an NHL goalie makes that stop. Conversely if that's any kind of sniper, which the ducks don't have, that puck is in.

Just saying its who we were facing. Almost any game in 2019 Koski has faced stiff opposition he's struggled with it. These here have been some easy games and the Islanders aren't playing well right now.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ritchie has what, 6 goals all year? Its like Lucic in the slot. it all looks good. ****, Koski sold that save, made it look more difficult than it was for drama pts. It wasn't a laser, he saw all of it, and an NHL goalie makes that stop. Conversely if that's any kind of sniper, which the ducks don't have, that puck is in.

Just saying its who we were facing. Almost any game in 2019 Koski has faced stiff opposition he's struggled with it. These here have been some easy games and the Islanders aren't playing well right now.
The only time koskinen plays good is when the other team plays bad apparently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only time koskinen plays good is when the other team plays bad apparently.

Thank you for extending that thought. heh

But in all seriousness a .905 save %, and that is steadily declining, and a GAA approaching 3, is not good.

Like I've said before, wouldn't surprise me if his stats were 3GA/GP and around ,900 by seasons end.

He's gong from people here saying he was great to not even being able to honestly state that he's good.

He's not even average. That's the reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad