Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I say were stuck with him fire the goalie coach and see if it helps. Maybe my memory is off but it seems like every goalie comes here as either good or average and just slowly gets worse until we have ruined their careers for a couple years before they rebound.

I have no idea on goalie coaching but it couldnt hurt? Scrivens seemed legit at one point, Talbot was legit at on point, Koskinen.

I cant remember who else we have used over the last decade but no one can stick longer then a year or two. Could just be the horrible d core no goalie will look good but meh I want a new goalie coach

It would be helpful if Koskinen wouldn't be overplayed so much, because time spent recovering between too many games is inevitably away from working on weaknesses and then problems easily accumulate in a way that the goaltending coaches can do very little about.

Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It would be helpful if Koskinen wouldn't be overplayed so much, because time spent recovering between too many games is inevitably away from working on weaknesses and then problems easily accumulate in a way that the goaltending coaches can do very little about.
Apparently Stolarz had a tweaked knee and that's why they overplayed Koskinen. Not that I think Stolarz would've really played all that much anyway.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
After watching playoff games and seeing some outstanding goaltending it just confirms even more that Koskinen is not NHL caliber.

Reactions: KYams17

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
After watching playoff games and seeing some outstanding goaltending it just confirms even more that Koskinen is not NHL caliber.

Koskinen may not be the goalie you're going to win the cup with, but he is a goalie who looks like he can play 45-50 games and win you around 25 games.

It's the performance of our 1b goalie who will make or break our reg season.

Say koskinen goes 25-17-8 in 50 gp
1b in 32 gp goes 17-11-4

Then things aren't so bad n were battling for a playoff spot

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What a horrible signing and contract. Disgusting. His play last season makes me want to take an axe and chop wood for a whole day out of anger

Reactions: Messrules11

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Thats quite the hyperbole.
Agreed. If he can work on limiting his short side goals and improve his rebound control he's quite capable in other aspects. He is able to make numerous point blank huge saves throughout a game, it's the weak ones that can be a back breaker for him. Don't love the contract, but I think if you can bring in a solid 1B to play with him and improve the overall team defence then he can definitely succeed.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Agreed. If he can work on limiting his short side goals and improve his rebound control he's quite capable in other aspects. He is able to make numerous point blank huge saves throughout a game, it's the weak ones that can be a back breaker for him. Don't love the contract, but I think if you can bring in a solid 1B to play with him and improve the overall team defence then he can definitely succeed.
I don’t love the contract either, but I agree with your thoughts.

People are thinking of mike smith on a 1 year deal when he was quite a bit worse than koskinen last year on a much better team.

Reactions: MessierII

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Goalies are voodoo. Koskinen can get anywhere from a .890 - .920 SV% next season depending on how the team plays IMO. He was amazing to start the year and had a decent stretch later on. Koskinen has it in him to be a good goalie and if Tippett can establish a good defensive system, he could have a decent season.

I would still like Holland to find a decent 1B or backup goalie to play ~30-35 games just in case

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm willing to give Koskinen another season chance. He had a very good stretch and then played bad. Possibly the evelation in games played and the overall talent was a bit of a shock to him.

That said we need a very solid backup aka one that can play 30 games to help carry the load imo.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If he bombs this year, that's it for him. At his age he is a declining asset. What a stupid contract, but typical of the Oilers.

Reactions: KYams17

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Being a broken record but I don't understand how people can ignore how much the Pejorative Slured Oilers management overplayed him down the stretch.

The guy started 29 games the previous year and 23 the year before...

The Oilers gave him no rest and he played the most games in the nhl in the second half.

55 starts at the nhl level crammed into something silly. For a guy that is used to playing half that many games with a regular rotation in tandem with a back up... it's beyond stupid.

Stupid stupid stupid. Everyone that is responsible for that needs to be fired/shot into the sun.

Under the circumstances we honestly don't know what we have in Koskinen. Hopefully new management can get him a reliable backup to play 30 games. Use a goalie tandem in a standard manner and who knows maybe he will be more like he was to start the year than how he finished.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am not arguing against that they may have played him too much, but this has been brought up before (for various reasons). He did not play 29 games last season. He played 29 regular season games, rotating with the other keeper. End of season he played every single game in the playoffs (same as the year before) so I don't think he is/was that unfamiliar with being leaned on down the stretch.

29 regular season games
+ 15 playoff games
+ 10 games with national team
= 54 GP in 17/18

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don’t think the issue is that Koskinen played 55 games. It’s most so that to get to that number, he had to start near every game for the last 1/3 of the season.

You’re taking a guy that’s use to a certain pace and then running him into he ground after he’s already had half a season of work...

Toss in the fact that this was behind the Oilers defence, and it’s not a surprise a Koskinen looked inconsistent.

Reactions: Zguy370 and Aerchon

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man if they just waited until the end of the season they could've signed him for half of what he's going to make.

So unbelievably stupid.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don’t buy the ‘he was fatigued’ excuse. His numbers were good until teams figured him out. He goes down for every shot and guys shoot high, does everyone just forget how many goals were scored upstairs? I guarantee the opposition won’t forget.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t buy the ‘he was fatigued’ excuse. His numbers were good until teams figured him out. He goes down for every shot and guys shoot high, does everyone just forget how many goals were scored upstairs? I guarantee the opposition won’t forget.
His numbers also dipped when the D was decimated. His glove hand is a weakness no doubt but he had some stretches of good play when the team got reasonably healthy again.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
His numbers also dipped when the D was decimated. His glove hand is a weakness no doubt but he had some stretches of good play when the team got reasonably healthy again.
He also went 3-5-2 to finish the year and had 6 games of below .900 sv%. We got 8 of 20 possible points and missed the playoffs by 11 points. Not to say we should win 10 in a row to qualify but that’s what we needed, instead we got 6 games of below .900 sv%

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He also went 3-5-2 to finish the year and had 6 games of below .900 sv%. We got 8 of 20 possible points and missed the playoffs by 11 points. Not to say we should win 10 in a row to qualify but that’s what we needed, instead we got 6 games of below .900 sv%
In 5 of the last 10 games we also scored 2 or less goals. He was definitely inconsistent no argument there but it was his first year with that kind of workload. Will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Your “last ten games” conveniently ends right before this

upload_2019-6-3_13-12-18.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad