Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
So pretty much the only way you beat him is by having the time and space to place perfectly placed top corner shots unimpeded. A luxury the Oilers do not get against the opposition goalie ever, yet give up em masse to the playoff teams in this league.

Granted I havn't been watching all the games of late in an effort to save my mental health...

But I feel like you've watched different ones than me. My viewing is any muffin in that general area has a good chance to just sneak through.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Granted I havn't been watching all the games of late in an effort to save my mental health...

But I feel like you've watched different ones than me. My viewing is any muffin in that general area has a good chance to just sneak through.

Except for the many that he saves in that same spot? I’m just talking about him in general over the whole year. Yes, he’s let goals in top glove, so has every starter in this league. He’s also saved his fair share. Until and unless someone shows me the stats on top corner glove saves made vs missed on Kosko and then compares it to other starters in this league there’s no real proof this is a weakness, especially when posters around here will jump on him for not making the most impossible of saves to justify their hate of Chia / OBC / management for signing Kostko.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So pretty much the only way you beat him is by having the time and space to place perfectly placed top corner shots unimpeded. A luxury the Oilers do not get against the opposition goalie ever, yet give up em masse to the playoff teams in this league.

What a ridiculous comment. Draisaitl had 7 premium scoring chances last night, he was really engaged, and is the 2nd best shooter in the hockey world now, and the Sharks BACK UP goalie fought off a handful of very good shots. Most of them perfectly placed, and lasers.

If Drai was playing against Koskinen last night he would have 51 goals right now, tied with OV.

To wit Koskinen has the advantage of never having to face any of McD or Drai, two of the 4 most prolific players in the game. Which is good, because Koski gets owned by sharpshooters.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only thing wrong with Kosko is the team that falls apart in front of him.

Take a step back. Because at this point you are not even involved in a discussion. If you frame things with this sentence it tells the reader that your opinion on Koskinen is implacable and that good performances will only be due to Koskinen and bad performances will only be the fault of the team. By stating this sentence, and positing your argument this way you are voicing unconditional acceptance of whatever result. Because in your mind it won't be due to Koskinen.

The reality is the team, defensively, has played BETTER under Hitch than McLellan. The reality is the team has played better with all of their D back from injury. Yet somehow Koskinen has months of his worst play here at the time that the team is playing better, and with all of their D in the lineup.

The reality is Koskinen played good for around one month here and poor to bad the rest. We're into the 5th month in a row of substandard play by this goaile and you're behind him just as much as you were in November. As if any of these months and results haven't occurred.

Reactions: KYams17

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Depends on what your benchmark for him is. If you expect him to be perfect in spite of the **** team in front of him then sure there’s plenty wrong. If you expect him to be a 15-25ish starter in this league like he’s paid to be (and still the best option the Oilers could acquire since he’s still better than Talbot) then he’s playing exactly how he should be playing. Couple bad games and bad goals and all, which happens to every starter in this league.

It has nothing what so ever to do with perfection.

It has everything to do with stopping pucks he is supposed to stop especially at certain times in the game. Its about not playing small and being better with his angles.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It also has nothing to do with Talbot. Thats just misdirection on your part.
It has everything to do with stopping pucks he is supposed to stop. Its about not playing small and being better with his angles.
It's not a coincidence that many goals he's let in lately have looked identical.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What a ridiculous comment. Draisaitl had 7 premium scoring chances last night, he was really engaged, and is the 2nd best shooter in the hockey world now, and the Sharks BACK UP goalie fought off a handful of very good shots. Most of them perfectly placed, and lasers.

If Drai was playing against Koskinen last night he would have 51 goals right now, tied with OV.

To wit Koskinen has the advantage of never having to face any of McD or Drai, two of the 4 most prolific players in the game. Which is good, because Koski gets owned by sharpshooters.

Lol. Out of my comment which was about the Oilers in general being unable to generate premium scoring chances you somehow made this n argument about Draisaitl somehow. Bravo.

Draisaitl gets his looks, he sometimes needs to bull through 4 opposing defenders to get an off balance, rushes shot off. Now tell me about the rest of our team. My point still stands, and was never about Draisaitl to begin with.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Take a step back. Because at this point you are not even involved in a discussion. If you frame things with this sentence it tells the reader that your opinion on Koskinen is implacable and that good performances will only be due to Koskinen and bad performances will only be the fault of the team. By stating this sentence, and positing your argument this way you are voicing unconditional acceptance of whatever result. Because in your mind it won't be due to Koskinen.

The reality is the team, defensively, has played BETTER under Hitch than McLellan. The reality is the team has played better with all of their D back from injury. Yet somehow Koskinen has months of his worst play here at the time that the team is playing better, and with all of their D in the lineup.

The reality is Koskinen played good for around one month here and poor to bad the rest. We're into the 5th month in a row of substandard play by this goaile and you're behind him just as much as you were in November. As if any of these months and results haven't occurred.

No no. The actual reality when you take in the context of the games is that Kosko plays up to Starter Level or above when Oilers are matched up with teams that are on par with them - non playoff teams. But when matched against tough competition like Vegas and various other contenders we get embarrassed and it translates to Kosko being bombarded.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It has everything to do with stopping pucks he is supposed to stop especially at certain times in the game. Its about not playing small and being better with his angles.

And your gauge of which stops he’s sposed to stop and which he isn’t sposed to one that I don’t agree with based on past criticisms of goals he’s let in. Now I’m not saying Kosko doesn’t let a bad goal in here or there, show me a goalie in the league who doesn’t, I’m saying take into context his workload and this assessment that Kosko is 100% not start quality is way off the mark.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And your gauge of which stops he’s sposed to stop and which he isn’t sposed to one that I don’t agree with based on past criticisms of goals he’s let in. Now I’m not saying Kosko doesn’t let a bad goal in here or there, show me a goalie in the league who doesn’t, I’m saying take into context his workload and this assessment that Kosko is 100% not start quality is way off the mark.

I am not sure what lens you are looking through regarding his performances so far. You seem intent on diminishing his obvious deficiencies.

Now I am not suggesting that he cant improve. I am just stating the obvious based on what I have seen so far....that this team simply cannot go into next season with Koskinen shouldering the workload. That is a recipe for failure IMO.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol. Out of my comment which was about the Oilers in general being unable to generate premium scoring chances you somehow made this n argument about Draisaitl somehow. Bravo.

Draisaitl gets his looks, he sometimes needs to bull through 4 opposing defenders to get an off balance, rushes shot off. Now tell me about the rest of our team. My point still stands, and was never about Draisaitl to begin with.
Nonsense, Drai was just the example used to counter your point. You probably didn't even watch yesterday. The fact that quality scorers get scoring chances, and in good positions, and that's the nature of the beast, that goalies have to contend with and especially in a non obstruction NHL. Most goalies manage to make enough difficult saves. Not Koskinen. A well placed, well taken shot is in on him, inordinately. I would even posit that under Hitchcock the Oilers employ better than normal attention to detail in front of Koskinen and he's still failing.

You of course avoid mention of how and why Koski had some brief bit of success when the Oilers D was depleted, and under McLellan than with better D, better D coaching with Hitchcock. One would think Koskinen could do better under Hitchcock, historically almost any goalie has..

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
No no. The actual reality when you take in the context of the games is that Kosko plays up to Starter Level or above when Oilers are matched up with teams that are on par with them - non playoff teams. But when matched against tough competition like Vegas and various other contenders we get embarrassed and it translates to Kosko being bombarded.
Your.... either drunk, blind or just fully biased

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

No, the reality is Koskinen had good stats in November, regardless of opponent, and has had subpar stats ever since, regardless of opponent.

He just isn't a good starter.

Reactions: KYams17

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Koskinen gives up 12% more goals glove hand than the NHL average. A statistically significant deviation.

"Take into context his workload" lmao. What does that mean. He hasn't had a huge workload and has only been the bonafide starter, since Talbot left, the duties were split prior and with Talbot even seeing tougher teams. Now Koskinen is overloaded and he hasn't even been a starter one season.

ANY excuse will do I see but you already posted that indelibly in post #597 after which nobody could possibly take your position seriously.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Koskinen gives up 12% more goals glove hand than the NHL average. A statistically significant deviation.

"Take into context his workload" lmao. What does that mean. He hasn't had a huge workload and has only been the bonafide starter, since Talbot left, the duties were split prior and with Talbot even seeing tougher teams. Now Koskinen is overloaded and he hasn't even been a starter one season.

ANY excuse will do I see but you already posted that indelibly in post #597 after which nobody could possibly take your position seriously.
24/25 games is a huge workload.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Your.... either drunk, blind or just fully biased

No more than posters who defended Talbot who utterly failed in 3 of his 4 seasons here.

Koskinen is an average to slightly below average starter in this league. Unfortunately for us we need an above average starter over the long haul to have any chance.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I say were stuck with him fire the goalie coach and see if it helps. Maybe my memory is off but it seems like every goalie comes here as either good or average and just slowly gets worse until we have ruined their careers for a couple years before they rebound.

I have no idea on goalie coaching but it couldnt hurt? Scrivens seemed legit at one point, Talbot was legit at on point, Koskinen.

I cant remember who else we have used over the last decade but no one can stick longer then a year or two. Could just be the horrible d core no goalie will look good but meh I want a new goalie coach

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I say were stuck with him fire the goalie coach and see if it helps. Maybe my memory is off but it seems like every goalie comes here as either good or average and just slowly gets worse until we have ruined their careers for a couple years before they rebound.

I have no idea on goalie coaching but it couldnt hurt? Scrivens seemed legit at one point, Talbot was legit at on point, Koskinen.

I cant remember who else we have used over the last decade but no one can stick longer then a year or two. Could just be the horrible d core no goalie will look good but meh I want a new goalie coach

Broissoit.

I think its a few factors....depth....swagger....staff....mojo.....vibes.....karma.....gypsy magics and curses

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
how many times did they lose 3-2? 29 and 97 created 2 goals and the rest produced none?

give this team 3 guys that can actually score 15 times and Kosk prolly has 5 more wins.

Goaltending is actually the least of my concerns. they need more skaters that are better at hockey.

Reactions: NeutralFan888

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
how many times did they lose 3-2? 29 and 97 created 2 goals and the rest produced none?

give this team 3 guys that can actually score 15 times and Kosk prolly has 5 more wins.

Goaltending is actually the least of my concerns. they need more skaters that are better at hockey.
Didn't Nuge get 28 and Chiasson 22?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No more than posters who defended Talbot who utterly failed in 3 of his 4 seasons here.

Koskinen is an average to slightly below average starter in this league. Unfortunately for us we need an above average starter over the long haul to have any chance.
Not to mention the posters on here now that tell us that Talbot letting in bad goals was all his fault (not much argument there BTW), but the bad goals Koski lets in are all the teams fault. Or because he's pooped out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad