Post-Game Talk: Koskinen eliminates the Flames and Canucks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Agreed. Can’t remember the last time a team has limped into the playoffs so bad lol.

Only one that comes to mind is the Senators in 2009 (I think) when they essentially had the President's Trophy sealed up in December before going on a 40 game free fall, barely scraping into the playoffs then getting bounced in 4/5 games in the first round.

Blowing 9 of 10 down the stretch when you've been playing fairly consistent over the whole year is a new one though.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He drew some criticism early on as his production wasn't there, but he appears to be the forechecker on that top line and has a knack for finding the soft spot in the zone.

I knew this signing was likely to be pretty good considering the AAV, RFA rights and his previous production and I'm glad to see this pan out.

Since we have his RFA rights next year, I can probably see him getting 2 or 3 years at <$1.25M. I don't think he plays on the top line next year however.

Yep. More precisely Yama started hot, 3G in first 7GP. Kahun didn't score one until his 10th game of the season. So that all of Kahuns 8EV goals have occurred in his last 37gp which is a good clip.

Conversely Yama is riding a 1 goal in 25GP dry spell. Yama has also only had 7EV goals all year and one was a ENG and another an own goal. He's real snakebit.

But it seems that usage needs to be understood as well. Kahun, through no real fault of his own was the first topsix player to be scratched, benched, dropped down, whatever. The other players in topsix are Oilers picks. So Kahun has missed a lot of minutes, and some topsix minutes.

Still, in 5 on 5 G/60mins Kahun is standing at .85. Amazingly Kahun is 4th among Oilers in those that have played regular minutes. Drai, an amazing scorer, has only ,88 50n5 G/60mins this season. Surprisingly little difference. Its been a Dry EV season for Drai.

Kahun doesn't see first PP unit rotation, only gets in very little on the rarely used 2nd unit. I mean how many does somebody expect Kahun would score in his 46GP. I suspect 10-12 goals to this point wouldn't make some happy.

Kahun was brought in at lowest possible cost just as an add on. A player that had averaged 12.5Goals/season across two seasons. He's on a 14 EV goal pace this season. Seems like the player covered his bet.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Yep. More precisely Yama started hot, 3G in first 7GP. Kahun didn't score one until his 10th game of the season. So that all of Kahuns 8EV goals have occurred in his last 37gp which is a good clip.

Conversely Yama is riding a 1 goal in 25GP dry spell. Yama has also only had 7EV goals all year and one was a ENG and another an own goal. He's real snakebit.

But it seems that usage needs to be understood as well. Kahun, through no real fault of his own was the first topsix player to be scratched, benched, dropped down, whatever. The other players in topsix are Oilers picks. So Kahun has missed a lot of minutes, and some topsix minutes.

Still, in 5 on 5 G/60mins Kahun is standing at .85. Amazingly Kahun is 4th among Oilers in those that have played regular minutes. Drai, an amazing scorer, has only ,88 50n5 G/60mins this season. Surprisingly little difference. Its been a Dry EV season for Drai.

Kahun doesn't see first PP unit rotation, only gets in very little on the rarely used 2nd unit. I mean how does somebody expect Kahun would score in his 46GP. I suspect 10-12 goals wouldn't make some happy.

Kahun was brought in at lowest possible cost just as an add on. A player that had averaged 12.5Goals/season across two seasons. He's on a 14 EV goal pace this season. Seems like the player covered his bet.
Yamo and Kahun are too small to be on the same line. I like the current configuration.

Hopefully Kailer breaks out of his funk soon. He’s certainly been getting looks - just needs to improve on his finish.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamo and Kahun are too small to be on the same line. I like the current configuration.

Hopefully Kailer breaks out of his funk soon. He’s certainly been getting looks - just needs to improve on his finish.

The problem for both is neither can expect to be a 2nd on a topsix line. They aren't good enough. They need to be 3rds. Thats why its looked like a different Kahun with him playing behind McD and Pulju and being the lesser option. Plays to his benefit. He can do OK in those situations where he has considerable backing. I mean he is just a cheap pickup. Theres no way he should be expected to be a 2nd on a topsix line (and neither him or Yama are on the Drai line)

For similar reason its why the Dry line worked last season. Yama could just settle in as a third. The trouble this season is Nuge is not being a good 2nd on any top line he's been on. Fortunately Pulju is, so its the right spot for Kahun.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Kahun doesn't see first PP unit rotation, only gets in very little on the rarely used 2nd unit. I mean how many does somebody expect Kahun would score in his 46GP. I suspect 10-12 goals to this point wouldn't make some happy.

Like this post, and your post on the previous page.

Kahun is making $1M and could be around 16-17G in an 82 game season at his current rate of production in the past 37 games (let's call the first 10 goalless games getting used to team systems etc). Aside from a few rough goals against, he's been solid defensively / positionally, and forechecks quite well. He's not the grittiest or heaviest player but they don't need him to be, and he's taken some big hits to make a play.

He's a legitimate top 9 forward and they should take advantage of his RFA status to have him penciled in as the 3LW that can do spot duty in the top 6 in case of injury. Even if he elects for arbitration (I doubt it), the qualifying amount is under $2M, no?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

He needs to take more of a "shooting mentality" to quote Louie Debrusk.

He's been getting looks, but he holds the puck too long and has an inclination to look for a pass as his first instinct. Last year he was always around the net and not hesitating to bury it when he got the chance.

It's only a matter of time with him in my opinion, could see him as a guy that comes out of nowhere in the playoffs and all of a sudden throws up 3/4 goals in the first round and gets hot (I hope).

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
It's beyond parody at this point.

Even the boutique penalty they did call tonight (tripping) they called one 50/50 trip on the Oilers and one that was a joke, but then in the third when one of our guys gets hauled down behind our own net directly in front of the ref all you hear is "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" when the official clearly realized that a penalty had occurred, but had to communicate to everyone that he wasn't going to call it.

I haven't watched a ton outside the Canadian division this year so I can't comment if it's been equivalently awful everywhere else, but my god has the Canadian division been inflicted with some god awful officials. Skilliter, Meier, Joanette and Furlatt would make a lot of people's lists of worst officials in the entire league and they're all stuffed in the same division. Kozari and Lee are the only ones missing to complete the bottom 6.

After the Oilers and then Jets games finished yesterday, I put on the VGK-AVS game with the AVS announcers. The PbP guy is very very animated. But there was one play in the 2nd period where a knight was just hacking/slashing/crosschecking away at an avs player and the announcer went bananas! "Penalty! That's penalty ref! Call a penalty on that ref." There were about 3-4 infractions in a very short period of time and the ref finally called the last one. Any of them could easily have been called.

In the intermission they had a segment about the lack of calls as well. Saying that players can't get frustrated when calls aren't made. They just need to continue to play through it.

The biggest problem is the inconsistency. We saw it yesterday where Oilers would get called and then MTL doing the same or worse, never got called. It's infuriating. We finally have a good PP, and the league won't let us use it b/c it's too good.

Reactions: Biltmore

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The problem for both is neither can expect to be a 2nd on a topsix line. They aren't good enough. They need to be 3rds. Thats why its looked like a different Kahun with him playing behind McD and Pulju and being the lesser option. Plays to his benefit. He can do OK in those situations where he has considerable backing. I mean he is just a cheap pickup. Theres no way he should be expected to be a 2nd on a topsix line (and neither him or Yama are on the Drai line)

For similar reason its why the Dry line worked last season. Yama could just settle in as a third. The trouble this season is Nuge is not being a good 2nd on any top line he's been on. Fortunately Pulju is, so its the right spot for Kahun.

This is key, they both need to be 3rds. Good complimentary players. I know fans have pined for a star LW for McDavid in the past but given the cap implications it doesn't really work without continuing to have poor depth. Pulju is more than a strong enough 2nd on that line to carry a solid top 9 player like Kahun

Drai is the one that needs a good 2nd, if it's not Nuge anymore they need to find a replacement. I'd still like to see if he re-signs at a discount and hunt for a better RW just for the centre flexibility that Nuge brings

I'd like to see the forwards look like this going in to next season:

Kahun - McDavid - Pulju
Nuge? - Drai - RW upgrade
Holloway? - McLeod - Yamamoto
? - Khaira - Archibald
Extras: Shore? Chiasson? (At a discount I don't mind him)

The big questions are where do Kassian and Neal fit? One of them has to go, IMO. Kassian is likely the easier to offload given the rumours of some interest out east and Neal could end up being a serviceable bottom 6 guy and PP net presence if he continues his recent rebound. I think we'll know more of how good of an NHL player he is during the playoffs run. Whoever stays plays the LW position on the 4th line

If Nuge walks, focus on the 2LW upgrade. McLeod and Holloway are still young and inexperienced but either of them could fill in at 2C for a spell if needed (not as well as Nuge IMO but most teams don't have 3 top 6Cs and have to rely on a 3C for 2C duties more often than not).

The third line could end up being really solid. Continues to ease in McLeod at softer minutes, Yams will be a vet enough presence that can also thrive on soft minutes and Holloway will be able to start tearing things up in softer minutes. Could see them being a good outscoring line.

I would rather they spend on one top 6 forward to save the other new cap for a 1A Goalie and Top 4 defenseman (even with one of Klefbom or Barrie returning)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just another Kahun comment but just ran the numbers and he has 31EV goals over his 3 seasons. Only 153players have more. We got him for nothing. Which is one of the reasons he was a solid add that wasn't going to cost the club either way. But theres this notion that more EV goals grows on trees. While I wanted a Hoffman or a Toffoli those guys obviously cost a lot more coin. Kahun was a quiet add and the team probably can't be disappointed with his body of work.

Reactions: Biltmore

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder what Tippett feels about Koskinen. Is he still the back up?

It is frustrating to those like myself who try to see the good in players and making the most with who we have. Even that game, Koskinen was playing well until that goal, but you cant let softies like that in the playoffs. The team shut down Montreal in that 3rd period and it was great to see. There should not have been that third goal.

I feel like Koskinen is probably better than Stalock but you have to go with Stalock. And of course, hopefully neither has to play a single minute in the playoffs
How can you go with a guy who hasn’t played a single minute all season anywhere? Not sure what’s up exactly with Stalock. I know he had lingering effects from COVID but when the trade was made I assumed he had been medically cleared to play. Maybe he wasn’t. That we’re at game 55 and we’ve only just now seen him wear the uniform on the bench is a pretty good indication that Koskinen is still the number 2 guy and will be until the end of the year. I’m not sure Stalock is even third on the list in an emergency situation if you need someone to actually play.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Just another Kahun comment but just ran the numbers and he has 31EV goals over his 3 seasons. Only 153players have more. We got him for nothing. Which is one of the reasons he was a solid add that wasn't going to cost the club either way. But theres this notion that more EV goals grows on trees. While I wanted a Hoffman or a Toffoli those guys obviously cost a lot more coin. Kahun was a quiet add and the team probably can't be disappointed with his body of work.
Kahun is also a RFA at the end of this year with like a 1m qualifying offer.

He'll be back next year.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Only one that comes to mind is the Senators in 2009 (I think) when they essentially had the President's Trophy sealed up in December before going on a 40 game free fall, barely scraping into the playoffs then getting bounced in 4/5 games in the first round.

Blowing 9 of 10 down the stretch when you've been playing fairly consistent over the whole year is a new one though.
Oh ya..... thanks for reminding me............. appreciate it.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad