Confirmed with Link: Korpisalo re-signs for 1 year ($1.15M)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

From the linked story: "The 2019-20 season will provide Joonas Korpisalo with a great opportunity to prove himself in the National Hockey League and I am confident that he is ready for that challenge," said Kekalainen. "He has played sparingly over the past three seasons and that can be difficult, especially for a young goaltender, but he has all the tools - size, quickness, athleticism and a passion to win - that it takes to be a very successful goaltender in this league."

All of that is true, although it doesn't necessarily paint a complete picture. But yeah I was thinking that a one-year deal for Korp is pretty much a here's your chance deal.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
My wish for Korpisalo for 2019-2020;
55 starts
.920 or better save %
2.40 goals against average (or better)

Not sure how much money he signed for. Also not certain how many years or RFA status remain. But if he achieves those objectives, the CBJ should be just fine this coming year.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
55 starts
.920 or better save %

Not sure how much money he signed for. Also not certain how many years or RFA status remain. But if he achieves those objectives, the CBJ should be just fine this coming year.
Those are some damn lofty goals.

I do think Elvis is probably better than Korpi, and I expect him to win this battle over the course of the year, purely based on the fact that he seems to be lightyears more competitive than Korpi. But who knows.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
People just want to be miserable now. Personally I say keep the defense intact and let the offense go through its growing pains but try to help out the young goaltending. Korpi hasnt had many chances to string together multiple starts so he easily deserves that oppurtunity, plus Merzlinkins has sky high potential so who knows what we have there

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
55 starts
.920 or better save %

Just the Vezina then, eh?

I will take this: 2.58 GAA and a .916 That would be the #16 goalie from last year. I will take average.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Those are some damn lofty goals.

I do think Elvis is probably better than Korpi, and I expect him to win this battle over the course of the year, purely based on the fact that he seems to be lightyears more competitive than Korpi. But who knows.

Korpi stands to be my ELITE source of crow production next year.

Where does the bolded come from?? Because Merz (and Bob) seems to have a more outgoing and flashy personality and is more flamboyant?

The relationship between, calmness and competitiveness, especially in relation to hockey goalies, should NOT be looked at like this.

Remember, Korpisalo and Merzlikins would both have looked a lot different the past couple of years facing shots from who the opposite guys took shots from.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
We got enough guys in the pipeline ( or between the pipes) that you'd hope somebody turns into a very serviceable NHL #1 netminder.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Fair bet on yourself deal. Look forward to the competition in net. My bet is on Elvis, but I could care less who wins it as long as one does and proves to be something in net.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
We got enough guys in the pipeline ( or between the pipes) that you'd hope somebody turns into a very serviceable NHL #1 netminder.

Yep. Let their play sort it out.

Fair bet on yourself deal. Look forward to the competition in net. My bet is on Elvis, but I could care less who wins it as long as one does and proves to be something in net.

I was going to post something like this but I couldn't decide about the "as long as someone wins" part. What if they both kick ass? I mean, typically it's best if someone "takes it and runs with it" but as long as the team gets good play in net... Anyway.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
if one of him or elvis need to be bury and another goalie bring up they will cost mostly no cap so its not really an issue

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
55 starts
.920 or better save %

9 of the 53 goalies who played 1300 minutes or more last season had a save percentage of .920 or better. Interestingly, 9 of those 53 also had a GAA of 2.40 or better.

I think that you're asking for an awful lot from this kid. He had a save percentage of .897 (48/53) and a GAA of 2.95 (38/53)

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...r=timeOnIce,gte,1360&sort=goalsAgainstAverage

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
'Be ready!': Joonas Korpisalo works hard in Finland to step...

“I don’t care about the hype that much; I’m not a guy that pays too much attention to it,” Korpisalo said. “I’d rather do my job as well as I can. I don’t care about all the fuss around it. All that matters is what you do on the ice.

“I’ve been wanting this for a long time, to get a chance. That’s all I need. I’m just trying to keep my head light and have some fun with it, too. It’s a big change, but I have to enjoy it, too.

“It’s going to be awesome. It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be really fun. And I’m going to be ready for it.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad