Kopitar vs J. Staal

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
58 points in 70 games in the Q:eek: he should have been picked right after crosby:sarcasm: .

Probably not, but maybe in top-7 rounds of the 2006 draft after he scored 50 goals, 104 points in 65 games ;)

Plus, another overager, Trevor Lewis, who scored 75 points in 56 games in the USHL, was a first round pick in 2006.

So if it´s just all about points, Roy would have been a first rounder...

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I didnt say any different. But his 2 goals are a little misleading...and saying he scored 2 goals and is now better than Eric Staal was at the same age is stupid. Really stupid.

2 goals are 2 goals regardless. Especially taking into account his first one. Yeah there have been better debuts, I'm not gonna deny that. Im not saying he was better Staal was at the same age but he does have the talent and skill to be better than Staal was at 19. Its a long season and theres 81 games to go.

JT8888

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
2 goals are 2 goals regardless. Especially taking into account his first one. Yeah there have been better debuts, I'm not gonna deny that. Im not saying he was better Staal was at the same age but he does have the talent and skill to be better than Staal was at 19. Its a long season and theres 81 games to go.

Kings Fans you need to chill. I am with you in the excitement of Kopitar kicking *** but Belanger got 3 points in his first game with the kings. Anything can happen. Let 10 games go by and lets seee how he is doing.
Ha Kopitar better then Staal? *** are you guys thinking. I want a cup before i start saying Kopitar is Staals Daddy.
Lets go kings

Randall Graves*

Kopitar is a stud, I felt coming out of the draft he was better than Brule long term, however this thread is a classic case of people overrating a young player after one big game.

Didn't Kopitar luck into that second goal when it just hit someone in front on a poor pass?

Still he was fun to watch, Kings didn't look so bad, and if Rob Blake didn't do the dirty work for Corey Perry they could've won that game.

Oh, and LC Is hot!
I remember Alexei Smirnovs and Stanislavs Chistovs debuts..I shall never overreact to any players debut game again!

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Another goal and an assist for Kopitar so far. The goal might turn into an assist after a review though.

Still, 4 points in two games.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kopitar was tied for 4th in the World Championships in scoring with 9 points in 6 games. Slovenia had only 13 goals, so Kopitar was involved in 69% of Slovenia's scoring.

http://live82.ihwc.net/hydra/stats/...ata/iihf/output/xml/46/IHM046Z17_85B_1_0.html

Kopitar has 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points in 2 games in the NHL. The Kings have 7 goals, so Kopitar has been involved 5 goals and 72% of the Kings goals.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=2006100708

Why are we comparing him to J Staal? Has he ever been involved in even of 33% of his teams' scoring; teams that are far below NHL and World Championship standards?

Last edited:

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Kopitar was tied for 4th in the World Championships in scoring with 9 points in 6 games. Slovenia had only 13 goals, so Kopitar was involved in 69% of Slovenia's scoring.

http://live82.ihwc.net/hydra/stats/...ata/iihf/output/xml/46/IHM046Z17_85B_1_0.html

Kopitar has 3 goals and 1 assist for 4 points in 1.66 games in the NHL. The Kings have 5 goals, so Kopitar has been involved in 80% of the Kings goals.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=2006100708

Why are we comparing him to J Staal? Has he ever been involved in even of 33% of his teams' scoring; teams that are far below NHL and World Championship standards?

Dude Kopitar is the **** but c'mon it's only two games.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Can someone tell me why Kopitar was only drafted 11th overall? I remember him being ranked in the top 5 at the beginning that year and I was sure that the Habs were going to draft him in 2005, since they need a big Centre man. Anyways, you guys in LA are very lucky to have that kid. He's Calder material.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site

And when - exactly - has Kopitar been involved in 'even' 33% of his team's scoring in the NHL? :propeller *T-w-o* games. Two.

A comparison with Jordan Staal is valid. Both are big skilled centerman who are roughly the same age and breaking into the NHL at the same time.

That said, from a dozen or so times seeing him in the OHL, I don't think Jordan is going to be a #1 center. (or a top #1 center anyway) Talk about bloodlines all you want but he simply is not as talented as Eric. And his offensive output - on a stacked Petes team - in a watered-down OHL last year, was hardly all that impressive. He'll be a great fixture with the Pens but he looks more like Handzus than Eric from what I've seen thus far.

As for Kopitar... All I'm going to say is Malkin has some serious competition for the Calder.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Can someone tell me why Kopitar was only drafted 11th overall? I remember him being ranked in the top 5 at the beginning that year and I was sure that the Habs were going to draft him in 2005, since they need a big Centre man. Anyways, you guys in LA are very lucky to have that kid. He's Calder material.

Doubts about his development because he was from Slovenia, which seem to be baseless now.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
the way kopitar is getting out of the gates this year, malkin indeed might have some serious competition, and if malkin outplays kops this year, ill say this, im going to LOVE this calder class as well....

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Another BREATHTAKING assist from Kopitar. Third assist of the night for him. Cut by the Blues defense, beat Legace but had the puck roll off his stick, went behind the net, threw it back out front to Sopel who fired it in.

Love this kid.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
You need to watch this kid play. It is more then the points its the pure atheltic ability.

Kings haven't had a player this good since Ziggy.

They haven't had a player this skilled since Ziggy. I don't think the Kings have had a player this good since Gretzky..

And the athletic ability is extraordinary. A guy like Crosby has had the benefit of years and years developing in the best minor hockey system on the planet. For a guy to come out of virtually nowhere - play only one season of professional hockey - and look this refined at just 19 is astounding.

Of course expectations need to be tempered. But I'm confident in saying what we'll find out this season is whether Kopitar fits into the mold of a Bergeron-calibre player or if he's in the same echelon as the Crosby's and Staal's (eric..)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
it's not really about the points. sometimes when you watch a player skate, handle the puck, etc., you can immediately tell he's going to be a star. i could tell that right away with malkin, and now i can definitely see why people have been talking about kopitar. unbelievable player.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
The slogan is Feed the Hype.... You should have heard staples tonight every time his name was annouced it was amazing. I havent felt this way about a player in such a long time. Just hope he can keep it up.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
its funny cause a while ago I said id only take malkin ahead of kopitar ... got some funny looks.... well good to see Kopi living up to the hype so far :handclap:

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
who could ignore a 19 year old who's already 6'4 220 and can skate well....

but his puck poise and decision making is what really impresses me....when things are a bit too hectic on the PP, he'll get the puck and slow things down...puck handle away from opponents and create a scoring chance....or when he sees open ice, he'll just blow right by a defender and either score a goal or set a teammate up....his shot is hard and accurate....and he's already killing penalties...

i dont expect a flawless rookie season...i'm sure he'll slump and struggle at times...but everything seems to be there....and being the good kid that he appears to be, i see him only learning and growing under the coaching staff and from his veteran teammates....

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
They haven't had a player this skilled since Ziggy. I don't think the Kings have had a player this good since Gretzky..

And the athletic ability is extraordinary. A guy like Crosby has had the benefit of years and years developing in the best minor hockey system on the planet. For a guy to come out of virtually nowhere - play only one season of professional hockey - and look this refined at just 19 is astounding.
Of course expectations need to be tempered. But I'm confident in saying what we'll find out this season is whether Kopitar fits into the mold of a Bergeron-calibre player or if he's in the same echelon as the Crosby's and Staal's (eric..)

Willie I think alot of it has to do with his dad being a high level coach. Coachs in Slovenias top league and IIRC is a coach on the national team as well. When your dads a coach on that level youre bound to learn alot more alot faster.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Not nessicarily. Gleason has been easily the best player for the Canes in his 2 games so far. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have JJ here, but I'm by no meens dissapointed with the return the Canes got there since they were able to eliminate a high salary that wasn't being utilized.

Maybe the reason why the Cane's are winless in 3 games has to do with Gleason beeing your best player:dunno: :help: :dunno:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it's not really about the points. sometimes when you watch a player skate, handle the puck, etc., you can immediately tell he's going to be a star. i could tell that right away with malkin, and now i can definitely see why people have been talking about kopitar. unbelievable player.

That's why I was wondering why there is a thread comparing Kopitar to Jordan Staal. It's like having a thread comparing Sidney Crosby to Jason Chimera.

That's about the gap between Kopitar and J Staal.

FlameofTheWest

Oct 3, 2006
Miiiiiichigan
I dont think the gap is nearly that wide, Kopitar is more polished at this point. Staal has the skills hes just a bit more raw,Kopitar has been playing men since 17. They are of same build, close in age, same positions. Seams like a reasonable comparison to me. I just think right now skating ability is whats really setting the two guys apart. I mean Jesus Kopitar looks like a tremndous skater with good speed and agility, I thought I had heard that was one of his weakness. Guess I heard wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->