Kopitar vs J. Staal

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Why does everyone get into a hissy fit when people mention Jordan and Eric in the same sentence? Jordan the tools to be as good as Eric and may be the best of the Staals. He's playing NHL games right now when Eric was still playing in Junior. Jordan will get sent back to junior this year to help him grow into his body. The kid is ouzzing potential and will be great in 3 or 4 years, just like Eric.

Uhh, the elder Staal was in the NHL just as early as Jordan, they were both signed after they were drafted.

And I don't know how you can compare him to Kopitar, Anze is a year older and has way more experience.

What if you were to look at them with their age in mind? What a crazy concept...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Has J. Staal beaten Pronger for a highlight reel goal yet? Wow wow wow

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Kopitar just scored his second goal of the night. First was a highlight reel play against Pronger, second was batted in by a Ducks' dman ;)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Uhh, the elder Staal was in the NHL just as early as Jordan, they were both signed after they were drafted.
Yes, but Eric had played three years of junior and was a 19-year-old as a rookie. Jordan played two years of junior and is an 18-year-old as a rookie. People often forget this when talking about the two Staals. That extra year makes a big difference. And let's not forget, Eric, though he had a solid season, was not lighting up the NHL as a 19-year-old. 11 goals and 20 assists in 81 games. I think Jordan would be hard-pressed to come close to those numbers this year, unless he played left wing on Crosby's or Malkin's line. I think Pittsburgh fans will be very happy with Staal in three or four years once he's matured as a hockey player. He could be a stellar two-way contributor on a championship team, IMHO.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd take Kopitar over Eric Staal, let alone any Staal.

Kopitar NHL debut: 2 goals, 7 shots, +1

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/gameTrax?gameId=2006100625

Based only on one game you would take a rookie over a top ten proven player in the league. Sorry, but :biglaugh:

This may be the funniest thing that I have read all year.

As for the J. Staal vs. Kopitar thing, the Pens, and their fans for that matter, have been pleasantly surprised by him. He really showed me what all the fuss was about. Long reach and did not look out of place. Broke up more than a few plays and almost had a shortie. Just dominated out there at times. Which to be honest with you shocked me. I am not at all unhappy with him, though he will be sent down in 8 more games, rightly so. I will leave the comparisons for a year or two though. Almost silly to do so now.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
Based only on one game you would take a rookie over a top ten proven player in the league. Sorry, but :biglaugh:

This may be the funniest thing that I have read all year.

As for the J. Staal vs. Kopitar thing, the Pens, and their fans for that matter, have been pleasantly surprised by him. He really showed me what all the fuss was about. Long reach and did not look out of place. Broke up more than a few plays and almost had a shortie. Just dominated out there at times. Which to be honest with you shocked me. I am not at all unhappy with him, though he will be sent down in 8 more games, rightly so. I will leave the comparisons for a year or two though. Almost silly to do so now.
he's going to dominate juniors when he gets sent down.. good experience for him for playin in the 9 games... When is Malkin due back?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
he's going to dominate juniors when he gets sent down.. good experience for him for playin in the 9 games... When is Malkin due back?

Latest news from the Pens' official site is 2 weeks. Back before Halloween. Which is very good news. We have waited so long to see him actually play in the NHL, it is getting more and more frustrating to wait. I really am itching to see what he can do out there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
?

Kopitar at 19 yrs 1 month years of age > Staal was at 19 years 1 month years of age.

131 (100 last year) pts. > 2 pts. Oh yeah, and leading his team to a little thing called a cup. I can not believe that I am actually explaining this.

I wonder, if we tossed in a second rounder could we get Kopitar for Crosby?

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
I'm stoked by Kopitar's debut as well and really excited about his future with the Kings but come on, no way you can take him over Eric Staal. I'd like to hope that some day he kicks some butt in the playoffs and we see the Kings win the cup but until then its pretty nuts to make that choice.

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005
131 (100 last year) pts. > 2 pts. I can not believe that I am actually explaining this.

I'm not saying that I'd take Kopitar over Eric Staal, but by that logic you'd take Chris Kelly* ahead of Kopitar... you know how 30 pts > 2 pts?

*Nothing against Kelly, just took the first young player that I saw.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying that I'd take Kopitar over Eric Staal, but by that logic you'd take Chris Kelly* ahead of Kopitar... you know how 30 pts > 2 pts?

When Kelly becomes a 100 point scorer call me. Again, I am baffled that I need to explain why you would not trade a player who led his team to a cup and is a 100 point scorer in his second year for one who has notched two NHL points in his career. There are very few exceptions to this rule . . . perhaps none. I was thinking Crosby or Ovechkin coming into their rookie years as perhaps an example of an exception but maybe not even then. There was no guarentee that they would do what they did. 100 point scorers in their second year trump rookies every time.

Randall Graves*

Not really the same logic at all, you know Kelly is a projected role player. Someone was comparing Kopitar and Staal by age, even going as far to say Kopitar is going to be better than a guy who scored 100 pts in his second year, and was great in the playoffs.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
When Kelly becomes a 100 point scorer call me. Again, I am baffled that I need to explain why you would not trade a player who led his team to a cup and is a 100 point scorer in his second year for one who has notched two NHL points in his career. There are very few exceptions to this rule . . . perhaps none. I was thinking Crosby or Ovechkin coming into their rookie years as perhaps an example of an exception but maybe not even then. There was no guarentee that they would do what they did. 100 point scorers in their second year trump rookies every time.

You seem to have totally miss-read his post.

He was saying he would take Kopitar at the same age as Staal.

Not Staal NOW!

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Man, his second goal was just a center that Beauch tapped into his own net. There have been far, far better debuts than the one tonight....jeeze.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This thread has become embarrassing.

I'm excited about Kopitar, and his first goal looked sick (finally caught the replay). But let's not draw any conclusions... especially compared to a young talent like Eric Staal, after one game. That's just nonsense.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Man, his second goal was just a center that Beauch tapped into his own net. There have been far, far better debuts than the one tonight....jeeze.

thats the only time i actually saw someone throw the puck to the net in the game from the kings, and if u think he didn't have a good debut, think again, i was suprised by his speed , and took alot for someone to take the puck away from him, they hooked him and brought him down and he still had control over the puck, and he saw time on the pk, pp as well as even strenth and had over 22 minutes of ice time! :banana:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

Doesnt matter how they go in just as long as the go in. Any coach or player will say the same thing. 2 goals in an NHL debut is no small feat.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
i bet you wish they took kopitar even if johnson was there now;)

i would take kopitar. i'm not that impressed with staal yet. he's point total in the ohl las season was no good enough to earn the #2 pick. i wanted the penguins to take kessel with that pick. there is at least 10 guys i would have picked before staal in the 06 draft.

Not nessicarily. Gleason has been easily the best player for the Canes in his 2 games so far. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather have JJ here, but I'm by no meens dissapointed with the return the Canes got there since they were able to eliminate a high salary that wasn't being utilized.

X-SHARKIE

Kopitar is a stud, I felt coming out of the draft he was better than Brule long term, however this thread is a classic case of people overrating a young player after one big game.

Didn't Kopitar luck into that second goal when it just hit someone in front on a poor pass?

Still he was fun to watch, Kings didn't look so bad, and if Rob Blake didn't do the dirty work for Corey Perry they could've won that game.

Oh, and LC Is hot!

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
thats the only time i actually saw someone throw the puck to the net in the game from the kings, and if u think he didn't have a good debut, think again, i was suprised by his speed , and took alot for someone to take the puck away from him, they hooked him and brought him down and he still had control over the puck, and he saw time on the pk, pp as well as even strenth and had over 22 minutes of ice time! :banana:

Who said he didnt have a good debut? I said there have been a lot better debuts...he scored one nice goal and was incredibly lucky the 2nd time. There have been much better debuts than that, sorry.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Doesnt matter how they go in just as long as the go in. Any coach or player will say the same thing. 2 goals in an NHL debut is no small feat.

I didnt say any different. But his 2 goals are a little misleading...and saying he scored 2 goals and is now better than Eric Staal was at the same age is stupid. Really stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->