Kopitar, Ryan, or Brule

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtime listener

Nov 18, 2003
kopitar: biggest risk/ reward of the three
brule: safest pick
ryan: despite the numbers i wonder how dominant he will really be in a faster, stronger NHL

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
longtime listener said:
ryan: despite the numbers i wonder how dominant he will really be in a faster, stronger NHL

Out of all things, his strength is definitely not a problem..I saw him outmuscle Valabik several times.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
GagneOwnsYou said:
Out of all things, his strength is definitely not a problem..I saw him outmuscle Valabik several times.

True and I really don't see his skating being a problem as well. All of these guys, whenever they hit the NHL their teams are going to give them the best resources, tutelage, and what not to improve their skating ability as well as all other skills.

But right now, Ryan is a guy that can function with two maybe three guys on him and produce with no problem. And that trait will almost guarantee success at the NHL level.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
True and I really don't see his skating being a problem as well. All of these guys, whenever they hit the NHL their teams are going to give them the best resources, tutelage, and what not to improve their skating ability as well as all other skills.

But right now, Ryan is a guy that can function with two maybe three guys on him and produce with no problem. And that trait will almost guarantee success at the NHL level.

I think the two main things are that Bobby works incredibly hard on his skating and that his puckhandling is so good he manages to slow down the opposition to his speed. His acceleration is underrated too, he has a huge first step he can use to get by a guy.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
GagneOwnsYou said:
I think the two main things are that Bobby works incredibly hard on his skating and that his puckhandling is so good he manages to slow down the opposition to his speed. His acceleration is underrated too, he has a huge first step he can use to get by a guy.

Thats one of the most important facets of an offensively gifted player. To be able to slow down the play, control it, and then act. Thats what makes Crosby the player he is. With Ryan, he's got a shot as well so its not like he has to get right to the net to bang in garbage goals. He's got a good backhand if im not mistaken as well.

I definately like Ryan because of his attitude. He works hard, bound to mold his body into a beast and cut the little fat he has on him now, and his skating's just going to improve. His past just like O'Sully is not a negative, it only means he has experienced something that will drive him to success.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
GagneOwnsYou said:

It is sort of the difference between 'quickness' vs 'fast'. Back in Bure's prime there were skaters who were faster...but he could accelerate to his full speed in likely 2 strides.

In smaller NHL rinks I think quickness is more of an advantage than the skater with a great top end but takes longer to get there. Maybe it will be different with less obstruction.

Brule - safe pick
Ryan
Kopitar -risk/reward

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd go with:

1) Ryan
2) Brule
3) Kopitar

While none of these guys are sure things, I think Ryan and Brule are at least known quantities. I'm not sure what to expect of Kopitar yet.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
usiel said:
It is sort of the difference between 'quickness' vs 'fast'. Back in Bure's prime there were skaters who were faster...but he could accelerate to his full speed in likely 2 strides.

In smaller NHL rinks I think quickness is more of an advantage than the skater with a great top end but takes longer to get there. Maybe it will be different with less obstruction.

Brule - safe pick
Ryan
Kopitar -risk/reward

I dont think Brule is as safe as some make it seem. He has just as much risk as Ryan or Kopitar. His slight frame, small stature, and type of game just doesn't bode well with pro style game. Now if the game is opened up like they're saying, then he may not be as risky.

I've said this many times but noone has really answered me, what is the difference between Gilbert Brule and Jamie Lundmark? Since Lundmark has been a dissappointment for the NYR, could you convince me Brule is not the next JL II? Same style of game, offensive whiz with jam...same build...same league...supposedly captain material based on Jr. efforts. However, JL was not able to carry his physical game, tenacity, and style that he put forth on the junior level. As of right now, he hasn't shown us the goods to warrant number 9 selection. What is gonna allow Brule to flourish and prove worthy of a high dp?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
iamcaper said:
If you had equal talent at all forward positions, and had your choice of either of these three guys, who would you take?
My take on these guys was formed in the context of how they could help my team (the Wings) so I don't think I can really truly differentiate their true unbiased worth.

I'd take Ryan, Kopitar and Brule in that order. (There are a couple other guys I'd take ahead of Brule [not named Sidney as he is a given] as well).

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
usiel said:

Brule - safe pick
Ryan
Kopitar -risk/reward

during actual games quickness is definitely more important than speed imo. during the fastest skate competetion they do a full lap, but how often during a game do 2 players race 180 feet after a puck?? not very often...but a 10 foot sprint after a lose puck happens all the time. so the guy who would win the 180 foot race is faster, but the guy who is quicker and gets to top speed faster is gonna beat him to the puck in real game situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad