Kopitar involved in 64% of Slovenia's scoring

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kopitar made a beautiful behind the back pass for the game tying goal today.

"On the tying goal, Kopitar took the puck behind Hirsch's net and made a lovely behind-the-back pass to Sotlar, and he blasted a shot past the goalie's glove to make it 3-3. "

He had 2 assists and now has 7 points in 4 games at the World Championships. He is now 3rd overall in scoring, passing Ovechkin and Malkin and only trailing Crosby and Bergeron.

Slovenia has scored 11 goals in the tournament. Kopitar has 7 points, and thus played a part in 64% of their goals.

Canada has 25 goals and Crosby has 9 points, or had a hand in 36% of Canada's goals. Russia has 23 goals and Malkin and Ovechkin have 6 points each, or they have played a part in 26% of Russia's goals.

Consider that Slovenia's second best player probably would have trouble making the AHL and that Canada's and Russia's rosters are chock full of world class talent.

2 questions:

If Crosby, OR Malkin OR Ovechkin played on Slovenia, would they have 7 points in this tournament?

If Kopitar was on Canada or Russia, how many points would he leading the tournament by?

Last edited:

Roger's Pancreas*

Your math is a bit off. Goals and points are different quantities. Meaning... the ratios you posted are completely bunk.

Anyways, it's awesome for this kid to be doing so well. His stock plummeted on draft day for whatever reason, making him the perfect wild card pick.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Of course those 3 would have 7 points playing for Slovenia. They are just better players so it's logical to assume that they would have at least 7 points. And being by far the best player on a crappy team also gets you a lot of points (for example Ovechkin and Crosby in the NHL)

And if Kopitar was on team Russia or Canada he wouldn't lead the tournament in scoring at all.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I have a feeling Kopitar will be somehting special, I think many under rate him a bit (some not all), and when all is said and done I'm guessing he should have gone top 2-5 in his draft year, that being said, yes Crosby and AO etc would have 7 points playing on a weaker team, dont forget when u play on a strong team you share PP time etc, on a weaker team theyll throw you out there as much as they could.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I have a question....does anybody know how Vanek did playing For Austria...or did he never play in a World Championships....

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Harold_Snepps_Rocks said:
I have a question....does anybody know how Vanek did playing For Austria...or did he never play in a World Championships....

Sorry if that seems a bit out of left field...but they kind of remind me of one another...both highly skilled players coming out of nations that don`t normally produce talent...could be interesting to see how they both develop.

KaptainKourage*

He is amazing !!
OT Question : I see Kopitar is on your avatar w/ kings uniform.. did he go to training camp last summer or what ? any chance for him to play next year in NHL ?

Jesenice

Nov 6, 2005
sLOVEnia
Markov#79 said:
He is amazing !!
OT Question : I see Kopitar is on your avatar w/ kings uniform.. did he go to training camp last summer or what ? any chance for him to play next year in NHL ?

Of course he went to training camp last year and he did very well there.
The majority of Kings fans see him play for the big club next year.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Let's be honest here: Kopitar is now getting his chance to "fatten up" his stats vs. the "also-rans" in the relegation round...so not a true comparison vs. Crosby,Ovechkin.Malkin now playing tougher competition...

Also--we all know that Backstrom was better than him in the SEL this season,and too bad Backstrom got bumped back off Team Sweden when Zetterberg arrived after Detroit's demise in the NHL playoffs...so the real story of this tournament isn't Kopitar--but rather Backstrom's abscence --because I'm certain that in direct comparison to PHIL THE THRILL's less than stellar performance so far,Backstrom would have wowed 'em,thus cementing the "fall" in ranking for PHIL that some still continue to disbelieve...

lametis

Nov 15, 2003
NY
Peter James Bond said:
If Kopitar was on Canada or Russia, how many points would he leading the tournament by?

What makes you think he'd even get the ice time on Canada to be a leading scorer? He wouldn't come close to taking a spot on the first line with Crosby, Bergeron, and Boyes, let alone the second.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Peter James Bond said:
If Crosby, OR Malkin OR Ovechkin played on Slovenia, would they have 7 points in this tournament?
Probably. Each of those guys would likely be playing over half the game if they played for Slovenia
Kopitar wouldn't get the ice time that he's getting with Slovenia so his statistics likely wouldn't be as impressive as they are with Slovenia.
hawksfan50 said:
Let's be honest here: Kopitar is now getting his chance to "fatten up" his stats vs. the "also-rans" in the relegation round...so not a true comparison vs. Crosby,Ovechkin.Malkin now playing tougher competition...
Sure, Kopitar will now get a chance to face lesser teams, but his statistics so far haven't been a result of playing the "also-rans." Kopitar had two goals and an assist against Finland, two assists against the Czezh Republic, 0 points against Latvia, and now two assists against Denmark. So that's five points in two games aganst two of the better teams, and two points in two games against two of the lesser teams.

Last edited:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Peter James Bond said:
2 questions:

Ovechkin got 106 points playing for the Washington Capitals and Crosby got 102 points playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins. 2 of some of the worst teams in the NHL.

I'm sure these guys would be able to succeed on Slovenia as well :)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
hawksfan50 said:

Not that I'm comparing Kopitar to Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, but those three also got to play crap competition. He had 5 points in 3 games against Finland (who shut out the US), Czech Republic, and Latvia.

If you want to throw out the stats that Kopitar accumulates for playing these teams, then I hope you also throw out Russia's win against Kazakhstan and Canada's win against Denmark. Sound fair?

Kopitar quickly went from underrated to overrated on this board by some. I'm extremely happy and excited to have him join the Kings next season, but I think we need to see how he'll do in the NHL before we compare him to any of the other young phenoms.

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
Peter James Bond said:
2 questions:

:amazed: You're getting carried away there a little. Kopitar ain't no K3eptok :D Well, whoever the hell that is.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Noodles said:
What makes you think he'd even get the ice time on Canada to be a leading scorer? He wouldn't come close to taking a spot on the first line with Crosby, Bergeron, and Boyes, let alone the second.

Thats only because they all kinda played together before in different places.

Boyes isn't half the player that Kopitar is right now and frankly I think Kopitar could easily make a top 6 line for the Canadians this year. The kid is amazing.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
Peter James Bond said:
Kopitar made a beautiful behind the back pass for the game tying goal today.

"On the tying goal, Kopitar took the puck behind Hirsch's net and made a lovely behind-the-back pass to Sotlar, and he blasted a shot past the goalie's glove to make it 3-3. "

He had 2 assists and now has 7 points in 4 games at the World Championships. He is now 3rd overall in scoring, passing Ovechkin and Malkin and only trailing Crosby and Bergeron.

Slovenia has scored 11 goals in the tournament. Kopitar has 7 points, and thus played a part in 64% of their goals.

Canada has 25 goals and Crosby has 9 points, or had a hand in 36% of Canada's goals. Russia has 23 goals and Malkin and Ovechkin have 6 points each, or they have played a part in 26% of Russia's goals.

Consider that Slovenia's second best player probably would have trouble making the AHL and that Canada's and Russia's rosters are chock full of world class talent.

2 questions:

I've been waving Kopitar's flag for a while now, I think he's a great player and thats not national pride, however his determination is true of the Slovenijan lifestyle and people. He was underrated solely because of his nationality, now all the teams who skipped on him will likely be regretting it as he is going to be a star. Lets give justice to the players you named here:
Crosby - Overrated, a lot of homer fans...would he have 7 points on Slovenija, perhaps, but not likely as he can be quite selfish with the puck
Ovechkin - He could score 7 points on Slovenija, but as he's a LW its a bit of a different case
Malkin - I doubt he would have 7 on Slovenija, he needs his Russian buddies to help him out at this stage.

As for if Kopitar was on Canada or Russia, he'd probably have the same amount of points, I wouldn't expect too many more. He is still young, but he will be a force in the NHL if he is given the opportunities.

To those who question the legitimacy of his points, look at the teams he had to play to get these points: Finland (Silver at OM), Czech Republic (Bronze at OM), Latvija (pushed being the home nation) and Denmark. The only team there i'd be willing to say would 'boost' his stats are Denmark, solely because Peter Hirsch is a brutal goaltender. The rest are hard solid teams so those points are fantastic, especially when you're comparing to:
Crosby and co. who played USA, Norway, Denmark, Latvija (Norway and USA much easier opponents than Czech and Finland)
or
Ovechkin and co. who played Slovakia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine.

There's a big difference in opposition, no denying that, Slovenija has had it much harder and played it much better to do as well as they have. All of that has to be credited to not only the teamwork, but Anze Kopitar.

hpheikki

Jan 5, 2006
calgarylen13 said:
Crosby - Overrated, a lot of homer fans...would he have 7 points on Slovenija, perhaps, but not likely as he can be quite selfish with the puck

Malkin - I doubt he would have 7 on Slovenija, he needs his Russian buddies to help him out at this stage.

that is the funniesti s*** i have read for a while... You are saying Kopitar is better than Crosby and Malkin.... Crosby selfish? Malkin needing Russian buddies? Give me a break... I will be surprised if Kopitar scores 50 points in NHL...And the selfish one just scored 102 points for the worst team in NHL. You have to admit that Crosby has been outstanding. Kopitar would have difficulties to get a roster spot on team Canada.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
hpheikki said:
that is the funniesti s*** i have read for a while... You are saying Kopitar is better than Crosby and Malkin.... Crosby selfish? Malkin needing Russian buddies? Give me a break... I will be surprised if Kopitar scores 50 points in NHL...And the selfish one just scored 102 points for the worst team in NHL. You have to admit that Crosby has been outstanding. Kopitar would have difficulties to get a roster spot on team Canada.

...yeah, and Ovechkin could maybe score 7 points on Slovenia but he's LW so that's a problem! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
calgarylen13 said:
Ovechkin - He could score 7 points on Slovenija, but as he's a LW its a bit of a different case

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: This just HAS to be sarcasm. The thought is kinda scary that it couldn't be :eek:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
calgarylen13 said:
I've been waving Kopitar's flag for a while now, I think he's a great player and thats not national pride, however his determination is true of the Slovenijan lifestyle and people. He was underrated solely because of his nationality, now all the teams who skipped on him will likely be regretting it as he is going to be a star. Lets give justice to the players you named here:

As for if Kopitar was on Canada or Russia, he'd probably have the same amount of points, I wouldn't expect too many more. He is still young, but he will be a force in the NHL if he is given the opportunities.

To those who question the legitimacy of his points, look at the teams he had to play to get these points: Finland (Silver at OM), Czech Republic (Bronze at OM), Latvija (pushed being the home nation) and Denmark. The only team there i'd be willing to say would 'boost' his stats are Denmark, solely because Peter Hirsch is a brutal goaltender. The rest are hard solid teams so those points are fantastic, especially when you're comparing to:
Crosby and co. who played USA, Norway, Denmark, Latvija (Norway and USA much easier opponents than Czech and Finland)
or
Ovechkin and co. who played Slovakia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine.

There's a big difference in opposition, no denying that, Slovenija has had it much harder and played it much better to do as well as they have. All of that has to be credited to not only the teamwork, but Anze Kopitar.

Wow...I don`t even begin to know how to respond to this :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad