News Article: Kopitar injures right knee/2-3 weeks IR

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
IF the season were to start on the 19th, that pretty much takes care of the 2 weeks, maybe he misses 2-3 games.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
When I heard this news yesterday I knew the lockout was over.

There is just no way the lockout would end and the banner would be raised without out some sort of dark cloud hanging over our heads.

It just wouldn't be Los Angeles Kings hockey if that didn't happen.

F that....that was the old Kings....this is the new Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings.

It's a whole new era, people.

I'm SO stoked that we will get to see this team come back 100% intact to defend their title. Losing that would have been the biggest tragedy of the lockout, IMO.

KingKopitar11*

I really dont want to lose Loktionov, I know he's going to shine. It will hurt

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Helene Elliott ‏@helenenothelen

Dean Lombardi said images of Kopitar's injured right knee were not clear enough to tell much but from what was visible it looked like

Initial diagnosis of Grade 2 MCL sprain was accurate. Technically, Kings can suspend Kopitar and Willie Mitchell (knee) for (more)

Getting hurt during lockout and not being ready to play. Lombardi said he would ask higher-ups about it. I got feeling he won't suspend them

Yeah, it doesn't seem likely that Kopi will be ready for the first game of the season. Grade 2 MCL sprain is no joke.

CBGB

Aug 11, 2005
You know I've always been accurate when it comes to the medical side of the Kings...

Kopitar will miss at least 4 weeks, possibly as many as 6

It is NOT 2-3.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
You know I've always been accurate when it comes to the medical side of the Kings...

Kopitar will miss at least 4 weeks, possibly as many as 6

It is NOT 2-3.

And this is based on what, exactly?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well Four weeks is probably not out of the question.

Probably see Kopitar the second week of Feb ?

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Yes if it is indeed a Grade II MCL tear 3 to 4 weeks is standard, so I agree about a 6 weeks before Kopitar plays. But it sounds like it was inclusiveness so maybe he can get back sooner.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings gave themselves a chance to beat the Sharks without Kopitar a few years ago, and the team is better now. 2 weeks before the season starts, so 2-3 weeks of actual games. He's been playing though, so he's in some sort of game shape.

Just have to wait and see how things go.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
If Kopi is out 4-6 weeks here we come 8th seed. I really thought the Kings would push Vancouver/St.Louis for the #1 seed this year but if he misses a few weeks in an already shortened season I see the kings still making the playoffs, but barely again like last year.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
If Kopi is out 4-6 weeks here we come 8th seed. I really thought the Kings would push Vancouver/St.Louis for the #1 seed this year but if he misses a few weeks in an already shortened season I see the kings still making the playoffs, but barely again like last year.
How so? The Kings still have a ton of depth. They'll be able to roll lines that are some combination of the this:

Brown-Carter-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Penner
Kings-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

That's an incredibly deep lineup, and I would have no problem throwing those top 2 lines against any other top 2 lines in the West.

bobafettish*

if only the players and owners could get their **** together a few days sooner.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
How so? The Kings still have a ton of depth. They'll be able to roll lines that are some combination of the this:

Brown-Carter-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Penner
Kings-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

That's an incredibly deep lineup, and I would have no problem throwing those top 2 lines against any other top 2 lines in the West.

I agree it's deep, just Kopi brings so much to the PK, defensively etc. I personally don't see Brown Carter Williams doing great (decent but not great) and IMO the chemistry that Carter and Richards had is going to be missed. I guess the key factor will be Gagne playing like he is capable.

With Kopi in the lineup teams had to choose who their best D-men would be facing each night. Now I think they focus more on Richards line.....

KingKopitar11*

I think Kopi's strong skating is a downfall as well, He puts too much pressure and sometimes he doesn't know when to fall to prevent damage. Im not blaming him, but he should try to fall to avoid sprains and such.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Was anything official ever released about this? Not sure if the Kings are going to do their own MRI or just look at his last one and make an announcement. Maybe they are waiting until after the PC today at 4 to keep spirits high.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Just a thought. Could the Kings suspend him without pay? Because if they dont he counts against the cap. I know that is not a worry now but at the deadline they may want some extra space to maybe get somebodies cast off( in prep for next years cap)
I dont think they can put him on LTIR because he was hurt playing elsewhere.
Kind of a jerk move but they could do it ( i think)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Just a thought. Could the Kings suspend him without pay? Because if they dont he counts against the cap. I know that is not a worry now but at the deadline they may want some extra space to maybe get somebodies cast off( in prep for next years cap)
I dont think they can put him on LTIR because he was hurt playing elsewhere.
Kind of a jerk move but they could do it ( i think)

They have to consider it. He took the risk on his own when he went to play elsewhere during the lockout. He had to take out his own insurance and should continue to collect pay through his insurance. Legally, the Kings aren't obligated to pay him or his medical expenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->