News Article: Kopitar injures right knee/2-3 weeks IR

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Is it 2-3 weeks before he plays again in Europe, or 2-3 weeks period?

Players play through minor injuries all the time in the NHL, but I don't think any of them would play through an injury right now with the season possibly starting up soon. This could very well be an injury that Kopi wouldn't think twice about playing through if it was the NHL, but figures he might as well rest it while he can.

Usually when in Europe there is talk about how long somebody is out because of injury, it is always period until he'll be able to play matches again. Not how long he can't do anything.

And I also think it is something similar, just short precatious rest period because it is obviously very close start of next NHL season. Kopitar played 31 matches in second Swedish League and 6 more for Slovenian national team, so if there is player who can miss preseason camp, it is for sure Kopitar.

I wouldn't be suprise if Kopitar would normal play on opening night. I'm sure we'll find a lot more during today here in Slovenia, probably directly from Kopitar.

Rod Buskas*

This is Loktionov's time to shine. He needs to take advantage.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Usually when in Europe there is talk about how long somebody is out because of injury, it is always period until he'll be able to play matches again. Not how long he can't do anything.

And I also think it is something similar, just short precatious rest period because it is obviously very close start of next NHL season. Kopitar played 31 matches in second Swedish League and 6 more for Slovenian national team, so if there is player who can miss preseason camp, it is for sure Kopitar.

I wouldn't be suprise if Kopitar would normal play on opening night. I'm sure we'll find a lot more during today here in Slovenia, probably directly from Kopitar.

Right but that's not my point, as this isn't a normal situation for European hockey. Kopitar's playing in Europe just to stay in game shape for when the NHL does start up. So he's going to take time to heal even the most minor injury, in this case 2-3 weeks before playing another game in Europe. If he had lost a toenail he'd have taken a few games off to let it grow back. If this is the case, we'll see him opening night even if its sooner than the 2-3 week projection.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Agreed. I think he'll be given a serious last chance to make it here in LA over the next month, do or die for him. Season will not start until middle of the month anyways, so likely Kopitar will not miss much time.

Brown - Loktionov - Williams
Penner - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Stoll - Lewis
King/Clifford - Fraser - Nolan

To start the year, IMO. Keep the rest of the lines together to build some chemistry in the short season, sink or swim for Loktionov, he has bad plenty of GP in the NHL to this point to adjust.

Last edited:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

To what end? He's far too skilled to be a third line center and there is no future with the Kings at 1st or 2nd line slot. He's given every indication that he doesn't like playing wing. I can't see them bringing him up for what might be 2 or 3 games, that won't help his trade value.

That's the only option he has at this point, is a future as a 2nd line center with another team.

If anything, Richards or Carter will slot the 1st line for a few games, it shouldn't be longer than that and Kopi's knee might be ready by the 18th or whenever it is the puck drops.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Am I the only one, no matter what befalls us, still has "doesn't matter, won the cup" still ringing in the back of their heads?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Am I the only one, no matter what befalls us, still has "doesn't matter, won the cup" still ringing in the back of their heads?

The angst won't be there for me. Maybe in a few years, but probably not while this core group is together. If the Kings prove to be a total one year fluke though, and they go a few years without making the playoffs, that could change things. But right now, doesn't matter, won the Cup.

After watching the Kings win a Cup, I'll be able to enjoy watching the Kings more. During the run last spring(and all the other years), it was more of a nervous ohmygodpleasedon'tlose. Now it's just going to be about more Cups.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
I'd bet money that he plays opening night. No way he wants to miss it, and I bet he'll heal faster than their estimates. Plus, it's not like the season is starting tomorrow.

With any luck the Kings will start the season with a 2 or 3 game road trip....let him miss those games to buy another week or so.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'd bet money that he plays opening night. No way he wants to miss it, and I bet he'll heal faster than their eatimates. Plus, it's not like the season is starting tomorrow.

I've been hoping for the same. Sounded like it wasn't a big deal, but he wanted to be safer than sorry as there could have been a season. Now that there is, I am sure once he gets back into LA and checks in with the Kings' medical staff, he will be fine and set to go in a couple weeks. The season doesn't start for another 1.5-2 weeks anyways... He shouldn't miss much time at all. Maybe a game or two.

Sydor25

LA Kings
I've been hoping for the same. Sounded like it wasn't a big deal, but he wanted to be safer than sorry as there could have been a season. Now that there is, I am sure once he gets back into LA and checks in with the Kings' medical staff, he will be fine and set to go in a couple weeks. The season doesn't start for another 1.5-2 weeks anyways... He shouldn't miss much time at all. Maybe a game or two.

And he doesn't need the camp to get in shape, he's been playing for months. :)

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Kopi just had interview for one Slovenian website (the one that have exclusive rights for live NHL games in Slovenia) regarding ending lockout and his injury.

He doesn't look to be in much concern, he said his knee turned a little bit in one coalision. After that he did one more shift and then because of precaution reasons went into the locker room. He believe his ligaments are pulled a bit (hope you understand what I mean)

Tommorow he'll have MRI in Sweden, he'll send immediately results to Kings doctor staff and they'll decide how much he'll rest.

He'll fly to LA in four or five days. I personally believe he'll play on opening night but maybe he'll have a bit different pre-season camp than others and no pre-season games.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Kopi just had interview for one Slovenian website (the one that have exclusive rights for live NHL games in Slovenia) regarding ending lockout and his injury.

He doesn't look to be in much concern, he said his knee turned a little bit in one coalision. After that he did one more shift and then because of precaution reasons went into the locker room. He believe his ligaments are pulled a bit (hope you understand what I mean)

Tommorow he'll have MRI in Sweden, he'll send immediately results to Kings doctor staff and they'll decide how much he'll rest.

He'll fly to LA in four or five days. I personally believe he'll play on opening night but maybe he'll have a bit different pre-season camp than others and no pre-season games.

Pretty sure their won't be any pre-season games anyway.

TheSlovenian

Aug 23, 2011
Ljubljana

Here is the Google translated article.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
he's just resting for a long playoff run

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Kopi will play opening night. Count on it!

ye im not worried. From the reports he doesn't even seem injured. It just seems like he wants to be sure of it and not risk a real injury. If it had happened in the NHL, he prob misses a couple of shift and is back out there

Renato

Oct 3, 2006
Gasper Kopitar ‏@kopy13
“@Patrick_ONeal: Now lets hope/pray Kopitar's knee is not serious.â€he is okay #trustme

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
When I heard this news yesterday I knew the lockout was over.

There is just no way the lockout would end and the banner would be raised without out some sort of dark cloud hanging over our heads.

It just wouldn't be Los Angeles Kings hockey if that didn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad