OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Probably late to the party here, but i see a lot here saying a WHL team will struggle competing with an AHL team.

I think it's the opposite. I'd much rather watch a tier 1 major junior team in the biggest junior league in the world than a tier 2 pro team. I've watched countless future Stanley Cup and Olympic gold champions in just my hometown WHL arena alone. It's a great league and fairly affordable.

Not to mention the Moose have done nothing to endear themselves to hockey fans here. Consistently crappy teams, and concession prices grossly disproportionate to the minor league ticket cost. No wonder their attendance drops every year.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Probably late to the party here, but i see a lot here saying a WHL team will struggle competing with an AHL team.

I think it's the opposite. I'd much rather watch a tier 1 major junior team in the biggest junior league in the world than a tier 2 pro team. I've watched countless future Stanley Cup and Olympic gold champions in just my hometown WHL arena alone. It's a great league and fairly affordable.

I think it's great to have the option to watch both or one or the other. We have the chance to watch our future Jets by supporting the Moose and we can also watch future NHL draft picks that play for the Ice. We are so fortunate that we will have all 3 levels of hockey in Winnipeg.

:jets

Reactions: roccerfeller

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Thinking having the WHL team play in a 1500 seat arena for two years is a smart buisiness plan...creates a big demand.. if over 1000 people put deposits on season tickets perhaps more there will be a demand for tickets... when the team moves to the new arena the demand may follow

Reactions: ps241

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You are correct in that they will want to maximize their revenue streams. The question will be can they fill the vacant Moose dates with enough profitable events in order to offset the decreased revenue and increased costs associated with moving the Moose to another town.

There are 2 ways that TN can increase their profit margin with a Moose departure:

Better return on the team as a whole with more ticket sales and merchandising in the new market offsetting and usurping current profit (or maybe minimizing operating loss)
More available dates to bring in concerts and events to BellMTS

I could see a modest injection of 5 - 10MM/ year to the org's coffers with this move. Granted that's not an astronomical amount - but it's a good player's salary (or a 4th line bottom D pair :) )

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are 2 ways that TN can increase their profit margin with a Moose departure:

Better return on the team as a whole with more ticket sales and merchandising in the new market offsetting and usurping current profit (or maybe minimizing operating loss)

I could see a modest injection of 5 - 10MM/ year to the org's coffers with this move. Granted that's not an astronomical amount - but it's a good player's salary (or a 4th line bottom D pair :) )

I guess it would depend on the agreement with the group in the other city. I would assume it would be a lease agreement of some sort.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Wondering how many deposits have been made?
Wayne Flemming only holds 1500 and as of Friday there were over 1000 deposits made...
are they going to continue to make deposits as a sort of “Wait List”?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

I’ve been told by someone who knew about this WHL thing before it hit media and was soundly giggled at by peers that TNSE has zero interest in operating the AHL team elsewhere both due to financial and other considerations.

The concert industry is also a shell of what it was, especially in relatively isolated big cities like Winnipeg. I’ve heard Kevin Donnelly talk about how they haven’t been able to fill dates for years now as most of the lucrative acts skip North Dakota and even Alberta now.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It almost seems like some people want the Moose to move to another city. In regards to freeing up dates so they can hold more concerts, it should be noted that if both the Jets and Moose were to make it to their respective championship series (with each playoff series going 7 games and having home ice advantage in each of them, therefore 32 home games altogether between both teams) as well as taking into account preseason and regular season games, there would still be 248 open dates on the calendar. There just aren't that many large touring acts to fill that many dates anyway.

For the people concerned about TNSE maximizing profits, it should be pointed out that they have done things that will assist in that regard. You only have to look a block southwest of BellMTS Place to see the True North Square development which will generate income for the organization. In addition to that, TNSE purchased the Burton Cummings Theatre which generates income from concerts held there (which do not require a facility as large as the arena).

Aside from that, as discussed numerous times previously, the Moose generate income in this city just by their presence here. The players require places to live as well as buy cars, purchase food and clothing, go to restaurants and movies, etc. All these things benefit the local economy as there are also the trickle down effects such as the creation of more jobs to handle those services. Having the Moose here also brings in visiting teams players along with the coaching staff and trainers as well as the media who stay in hotels and go to restaurants, etc. which also boosts the local economy.

I can't figure out why anyone would think it's better to let some other city gain these benefits at Winnipeg's expense. There's simply no need to chase the Moose out of town. Even if you were to not even consider the financial benefits to the city and province by having the Moose here, the logistics of having the Jets affiliate in the same city as the parent club cannot be overlooked. Being able to watch the development of the players from one central location makes things so much easier for management. Travel costs are reduced immensely with the current set up. I think we should look at having the Moose here as something positive rather than a negative.

:jets

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Not to mention the Moose have done nothing to endear themselves to hockey fans here. Consistently crappy teams, and concession prices grossly disproportionate to the minor league ticket cost. No wonder their attendance drops every year.
The whole reason for an AHL's existence kinda hurts anybody becoming a loyal fan. Imagine that the Jets were doing great, then some other team in a better league takes Scheifele, Wheeler, Byfuglien and Morrissey out of your line-up because they have injuries.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The whole reason for an AHL's existence kinda hurts anybody becoming a loyal fan. Imagine that the Jets were doing great, then some other team in a better league takes Scheifele, Wheeler, Byfuglien and Morrissey out of your line-up because they have injuries.

The Jets might do better with Scheif and Wheeler called up. :nod:

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Does anyone have any info on whether or not the Ice would/could play playoff games at BMTS Place?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Does anyone have any info on whether or not the Ice would/could play playoff games at BMTS Place?
Could be difficult if both the Moose and The Jets are also both in The Playoffs at the same time...3 teams out of the same arena during the playoffs could be logistical a nightmare

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I am also wondering why the Ice not play a few games at BMTSP and using that as a home rink despite the scheduling. I mean once this new arena is built, we'll just call in 24-7 In Touch Centre, they could play some games at BMTSP and Wayne Fleming. But I think Wayne Fleming will also need to go under some renovations, I don't see why not anyway.

I feel like the Blues should be a direct affiliate with the Ice, thinking all WHL teams should have an affiliate like that. Like the Wheaties should make Virden their MJHL affiliate. Would make sense because if players were unsure what route they wanted to take they could play there till they attend college, plus being close to their respective WHL team.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
When Greg Fettes first considered the possibility of moving his Western Hockey League franchise to Winnipeg, he knew he would need the support of True North Sports & Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman.

It was fair to assume the man in charge of the NHL's Jets and the AHL's Manitoba Moose would be concerned about a crowded hockey marketplace becoming even more fragmented with the arrival of another team.

Chipman, however, gave his blessing.

"I speak with Mark pretty regularly and he's a good friend and he's been very good to me through this process," said Fettes, who purchased the Kootenay Ice in partnership with Matt Cockell almost two years ago.

WHL vs AHL: Winnipeg Ice ownership expects 'friendly competition with the Moose'

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
When Greg Fettes first considered the possibility of moving his Western Hockey League franchise to Winnipeg, he knew he would need the support of True North Sports & Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman.

It was fair to assume the man in charge of the NHL's Jets and the AHL's Manitoba Moose would be concerned about a crowded hockey marketplace becoming even more fragmented with the arrival of another team.

Chipman, however, gave his blessing.

"I speak with Mark pretty regularly and he's a good friend and he's been very good to me through this process," said Fettes, who purchased the Kootenay Ice in partnership with Matt Cockell almost two years ago.

WHL vs AHL: Winnipeg Ice ownership expects 'friendly competition with the Moose'

I mean, this is nothing new. Everyone who I spoke to who is highish up in the WPG hockey community said this - but it's nice to have it blatant and out in the open now.

Reactions: KingBogo

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
I keep hearing ads on 1290 featuring none other than Kelly Moore promoting the Ice.
Really hope for the team’s sake he’s not going to be their play by play guy.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They should have an interesting young team to watch next year. Connor McClennon should be highly rated next draft. Got a big boy in Anson McMaster who should play full time this year. Owen Pederson had a solid 16 year old season. Lambos ,Prososky and Bruce should be playing full time as 16 year olds.

I wouldnt be shocked to see them draft a Euro or 2 that the Jets have drafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad