OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I wish i could like this comment a hundred times , they just made a new long merge to get onto lagimodier and people come to a complete stop because they want to get into the far left lane to turn at Deer foot . There is a tonne of room to go , press the gas pedal a little and you'll make it no problem but no you come to a complete stop and don't let any of the other vehicles go behind you . Always makes me wonder how they got a license and how they function in life . :laugh:

As the old saying goes, with age, comes intolerance. Or something like that. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
it's been years since I have lived in Winnipeg, but why wouldn't you build it at the university or as part of a neighbourhood centre. you would think that waverly west or St. Boniface something like that could house this. At least have transit serve it. I am sure they will have special event transit buses.

How many times a year will this facility be used?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I heard that they'll go to the school that's affiliated with The Rink, which at the moment is affiliated with Shaftesbury, or if they are attending a specific High School it's bound to be Shaftesbury.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I heard that they'll go to the school that's affiliated with The Rink, which at the moment is affiliated with Shaftesbury, or if they are attending a specific High School it's bound to be Shaftesbury.

Good Lord, the public school?!!!! :eek: If they value these kids' futures, they'll affiliate with St Paul's. :sarcasm:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
TNSE would be on the hook for a number of the operating expenses for the Moose whether they are in WPG or not. They would have to pay the salaries of their prospects and the coaching and hockey opps staff. They would likely not have to cover the travel and accommodations or arena costs (not that it matters as TNSE owns the arena and pays the fixed costs whether the Moose are there or not). Quite frankly if they are breaking even then they are coming out ahead as most orgs don't make money off their procurement process. As long as the Moose are hovering around the break even line and they see good progress in terms of development rate then I don't see them entertaining moving them. At the end of the day the Moose is about development first and profit second. If they can make some cash all the better as it makes the procurement system more sustainable.
I highly doubt an organization such as True North aren't trying to ensure every single revenue stream isn't maximized, including the farm team.

Of course your AHL team is primarily about developing talent, but this organization has to make as much money everywhere they can, especially now with our talent level and salary load.

The cost benefits of having a team in the same city are actually pretty minimal. I am sure the organization has done a cost/benefit analysis and knows how many more seats they need to fill in another market to generate profit above what is currently made.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There is the usual fluff about "love of hockey" that warms Winnipeggers hearts, but make no mistake this is a business/real estate venture.

The owners of this team have made more money than they or their families can spend. They have many investments above and beyond their 2 very successful, growing businesses.

Of course, they are smart men and they want the venture to be profitable but make no mistake, this team is a project of passion - both for hockey and the city of Winnipeg.

Reactions: GNP

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The owners of this team have made more money than they or their families can spend. They have many investments above and beyond their 2 very successful, growing businesses.

Of course, they are smart men and they want the venture to be profitable but make no mistake, this team is a project of passion - both for hockey and the city of Winnipeg.

What I'm excited for is bringing a quality mid-tier arena to Winnipeg. A WHL team is a perfect anchor tenant, and I'm sure there will be other awesome events at this rink.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I highly doubt an organization such as True North aren't trying to ensure every single revenue stream isn't maximized, including the farm team.

Of course your AHL team is primarily about developing talent, but this organization has to make as much money everywhere they can, especially now with our talent level and salary load.

The cost benefits of having a team in the same city are actually pretty minimal. I am sure the organization has done a cost/benefit analysis and knows how many more seats they need to fill in another market to generate profit above what is currently made.

You are correct in that they will want to maximize their revenue streams. The question will be can they fill the vacant Moose dates with enough profitable events in order to offset the decreased revenue and increased costs associated with moving the Moose to another town.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It appears the first two days of the Winnipeg Ice’s existence were good ones.

Officials with the new Western Hockey League team, to be moved from Cranbrook, B.C., in time for next season, say they took well over 1,000 deposits for season tickets, at $50 each, since launching on Wednesday morning.

Ice a hot sell

Matt Cockell, the team’s president and general manager, told the CJOB Sports Show Thursday that more than 1,000 people had reserved spots in line for season seats within 24 hours – a huge number for a team that will play in a 1,400-seat arena for its first two seasons.

Ice boss says ticket interest confirms Winnipeg as hockey capital

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Two years. Two loooong years. Maybe Winnipeg should apply for a Kraft Hockeyville game now. :sarcasm:

IMG_0006_web.jpg

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Thinking this will bode well for a possible world Junior or even possible World Championship? Another arena to watch a Latvia vs Kazakhstan type of game?
A joint Winnipeg Grandforks bid would be awsome

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Two years. Two loooong years. Maybe Winnipeg should apply for a Kraft Hockeyville game now. :sarcasm:

IMG_0006_web.jpg

Not to worry, it will go by fast. The Jets are in their 8th season already which is hard to believe in some ways. It seems like yesterday that they arrived here. Before you know it the Ice will be in their new building! :thumbu:

:jets

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
This is amazing. Sucks we’re a bottom feeder team and I don’t know how quickly WHL teams can turn it around? A best of 7 playoff series vs the Wheat Kings will easily sellout 4,500. Maybe the Jets will start drafting WHL kids not that drafting is an issue with us.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Probably late to the party here, but i see a lot here saying a WHL team will struggle competing with an AHL team.

I think it's the opposite. I'd much rather watch a tier 1 major junior team in the biggest junior league in the world than a tier 2 pro team. I've watched countless future Stanley Cup and Olympic gold champions in just my hometown WHL arena alone. It's a great league and fairly affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad