OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Like I said earlier, while that location is great for those of us who live in the South part of the city, I don't know how many junior hockey lovers there are from the North and East part of the city who'll drive all the way down there in the winter to watch a mediocre junior team.

I have to assume that a large part of the team's costs/profits will come from the rest of the facility.
It used to be all the money is in the south part of the city not sure if that’s the same still. Even though we’re not talking a lot of money here.

Still don’t understand why they’re building an arena in oak bluff and who is funding it. I’m wondering if a few developers own a lot of land around oak bluff and this Is a real estate play

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It used to be all the money is in the south part of the city not sure if that’s the same still. Even though we’re not talking a lot of money here.

Still don’t understand why they’re building an arena in oak bluff and who is funding it. I’m wondering if a few developers own a lot of land around oak bluff and this Is a real estate play

Lower taxes and better roads. Also, there is a lot of industrial development taking place in the RM of Macdonald.

:jets

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Lower taxes and better roads. Also, there is a lot of industrial development taking place in the RM of Macdonald.

When's the last time you drove down Loudon? It's terrible. Most (all?) of it is maintained by the city. I'm not convinced that the city will rebuild it for the benefit of a venture that pays its taxes to an RM.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
When's the last time you drove down Loudon? It's terrible. Most (all?) of it is maintained by the city. I'm not convinced that the city will rebuild it for the benefit of a venture that pays its taxes to an RM.

^^^Refer to the link in the post above by littlerocketboy.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Loudon is apart of Winnipeg.
I know and it's terrible.
If Loudon is not improved and the William Clement extension doesn't happen quickly then game traffic will be limited to McGillivray. That's not ideal. Both of those projects would be funded by the city and the city doesn't benefit from the new arena and surrounding development.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

This is not a real estate play. Owner has money and a genuine love of hockey. This is all about his love for hockey and this community.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
This will likely be the catalyst for getting MacGillivray twinned...which is long overdue. City should probaby annex out to Loudon to get control of development which is a bit of a free for all at the moment

Reactions: Guardian17

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

I wouldn't call it Oak Bluff. It's two minutes away from Kenaston. There's just a lot of available space there.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
know what would be perfect?
(and i wanted the Bombers to do this for their stadium way back when).
get grants from the city so you can build this area north of the Exchange District.
help revitalize that area instead of developing something that doesn't need to be developed.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Any idea on when the WRCP extension will be built? That would put me an easy 15 minute drive away.
I'd guess it's at least 10-15 years away. Eventually the city wants an inner perimeter with William Clement hooking into CentrePort Canada Way somehow and connecting that to a Chief Peguis extension in the north.

Reactions: lanky

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This will likely be the catalyst for getting MacGillivray twinned...which is long overdue. City should probaby annex out to Loudon to get control of development which is a bit of a free for all at the moment

This is a must.

MacGillivray is getting really busy with all the new development.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If you like Junior hockey you will go watch , i live on the east side and it would be a straight shot up Bishop , not bad at all . People need to go to some big citys in the US to see what a long drive is .

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
What this city needs to do is stop with all the traffic light intersections along the Perimeter highway and put over passes there. It would move traffic along quicker and it would be safer with less intersection accidents. Sure it will cost money but man the Perimeter needs to be a real Freeway and this infrastructure is way over due. Doing this will make those coming from all directions a quicker/safer route to opposite ends of the city.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What this city needs to do is stop with all the traffic light intersections along the Perimeter highway and put over passes there. It would move traffic along quicker and it would be safer with less intersection accidents. Sure it will cost money but man the Perimeter needs to be a real Freeway and this infrastructure is way over due. Doing this will make those coming from all directions a quicker/safer route to opposite ends of the city.
This is also in the works - but the Perimeter is the exclusive responsibility of the Province, not the City. South Perimeter design is supposed to be finalized by the end of this year but it will take a loooong time and roughly a bazillion dollars to turn it into a proper freeway. https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/pdf/open_house/background_station.pdf

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
This is also in the works - but the Perimeter is the exclusive responsibility of the Province, not the City. South Perimeter design is supposed to be finalized by the end of this year but it will take a loooong time and roughly a bazillion dollars to turn it into a proper freeway. https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/pdf/open_house/background_station.pdf

Yeah, we're in the collect underpants phase. Doubt that I will live long enough to see the profit. As for improving safety, do not underestimate the ability of Winnipeg drivers to f*** up a merge. I can't tell you the number of times I've felt like leaning on my horn because some idiot has come to a full stop at the start of a merge lane. Then there are the ass holes that make it their mission in life to prevent people from merging in front of them. There's a special corner of hell waiting for them, I'm hoping. :mad:

Reactions: Jets 31

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

As I understand it is being built by Rink Academy, which is private money. As for the location. It's in the RM of Macdonald (barely) so taxes will be considerably lower.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As I understand it is being built by Rink Academy, which is private money. As for the location. It's in the RM of Macdonald (barely) so taxes will be considerably lower.

If the required zoning changes come to pass. Sounds like other locations are being considered, could end up by Chief Peguis Trail. Too lazy to hunt down the article that referenced this.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, we're in the collect underpants phase. Doubt that I will live long enough to see the profit. As for improving safety, do not underestimate the ability of Winnipeg drivers to **** up a merge. I can't tell you the number of times I've felt like leaning on my horn because some idiot has come to a full stop at the start of a merge lane. Then there are the ass holes that make it their mission in life to prevent people from merging in front of them. There's a special corner of hell waiting for them, I'm hoping. :mad:
You can't expect drivers to be familiar with merging when there are no freeways in the city and every intersection and interchange has different standard. :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You can't expect drivers to be familiar with merging when there are no freeways in the city and every intersection and interchange has different standard. :laugh:

You need to go to Fargo, Regina or Saskatoon to see real freeways, Winnipeg roads are still stuck in the 1940's!

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You take your life into your own hands merging in Winnipeg. For one, most "merge" lanes don't really merge (it's more like a yield into full traffic), and as the original post mentioned, too many people don't let people merge. Merging only works if everybody is playing by the same rules, or else you're getting rear-ended at 110 kph.

But alas, we digress...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, we're in the collect underpants phase. Doubt that I will live long enough to see the profit. As for improving safety, do not underestimate the ability of Winnipeg drivers to **** up a merge. I can't tell you the number of times I've felt like leaning on my horn because some idiot has come to a full stop at the start of a merge lane. Then there are the ass holes that make it their mission in life to prevent people from merging in front of them. There's a special corner of hell waiting for them, I'm hoping. :mad:
I wish i could like this comment a hundred times , they just made a new long merge to get onto lagimodier and people come to a complete stop because they want to get into the far left lane to turn at Deer foot . There is a tonne of room to go , press the gas pedal a little and you'll make it no problem but no you come to a complete stop and don't let any of the other vehicles go behind you . Always makes me wonder how they got a license and how they function in life . :laugh:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
This is not a real estate play. Owner has money and a genuine love of hockey. This is all about his love for hockey and this community.

There is the usual fluff about "love of hockey" that warms Winnipeggers hearts, but make no mistake this is a business/real estate venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad