Report: Kooteney Ice moving to Winnipeg Confirmed

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
They’re going to face a major challenge trying to establish a foothold in a city that, I would argue, is already over-extended when it comes to supporting the sport.

No doubt the WHL would be popular if it was the only game in town, as it is in many smaller markets such as Brandon, Regina, Saskatoon and Moose Jaw. But they would be a distant third, at best, in Winnipeg and having to compete directly with the Jets and the Moose and their powerful owners, True North Sports & Entertainment.

Is Winnipeg hockey market too saturated for relocating WHL team to be successful?

Reactions: Licentia

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Greg Fettes, one of the founders of Winnipeg’s 24/7 InTouch, responded Friday to a Free Press story suggesting that he and his business partner Matt Cockell would be announcing Monday the club would be relocated to Winnipeg for the start of the 2019-20 season.

"I’m saying there’s no announcement on Monday or anything pending," Fettes said in a brief telephone interview.

Announcement for Ice relocation put on hold

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
That's too bad. Love visiting beautiful Cranbrook and catching Ice games made the trip even sweeter.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I really wonder if they even last 3 years in Winnipeg, not enough dollars for so many teams.

Reactions: Licentia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->