OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I would hope that the benefit of the Moose so close are not lost.

It sounds like small crowds in the MTS centre just aren't good for the game experience. A small arena where you could build an atmosphere and be very family friendly with cheap tickets would be ideal. Given those circumstances, the Moose could thrive.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It doesn't really make sense to me to have 3 hockey teams here, Moose attendance is already dwindling.

When you compare the Moose attendance to that of other AHL teams it really isn't all that bad. In fact it's pretty decent when you consider the Moose are playing in a city that also has an NHL franchise.

I would hope that True North finds it worthwhile to keep the team in Winnipeg even if it meant having them play in that new arena being built in the south end of the city for the Ice.

:jets

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
When you compare the Moose attendance to that of other AHL teams it really isn't all that bad. In fact it's pretty decent when you consider the Moose are playing in a city that also has an NHL franchise.

I would hope that True North finds it worthwhile to keep the team in Winnipeg even if it meant having them play in that new arena being built in the south end of the city for the Ice.

Moose attendance also picks up after The holidays!

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016

Why wouldn't the moose owned by true north play in the arena owned by true north? Makes no sense to play anywhere else.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Ice attendance this season: 2,186 through 19 games (last in WHL)
Ice attendance last season: 2,442 (ranked 21st of 22 teams)
(source: FRIESEN: WHL move to Winnipeg 'a done deal')

I'd bet the Ice will get better attendance here next season assuming ticket prices will be in the $15-$25 range AND concession and parking prices won't be ridiculously high like at Moose games.

Reactions: Laine Fan

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Why wouldn't the moose owned by true north play in the arena owned by true north? Makes no sense to play anywhere else.

I would prefer the Moose stay at BellMTS Place. I was just making reference to the other arena being built because someone had suggested the current building is too large for the crowds the Moose are drawing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They’re going to face a major challenge trying to establish a foothold in a city that, I would argue, is already over-extended when it comes to supporting the sport.

And if the goal is to force the Moose to move, well, good luck with that. Sure their crowds may be dwindling, but I’m told it’s still a money-making enterprise. True North has invested plenty in them, including the $7.5-million overhaul of the Bell MTS Iceplex in 2015. There’s no doubt a major cost benefit to consolidating your NHL and AHL operations in one city, not to mention the developmental positives.

Is Winnipeg hockey market too saturated for relocating WHL team to be successful?
McIntyre proves he doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the Moose are close to break-even at an average of 4000 per game. And even if they lose money, there are major advantages, savings/economies of scale by having the team here...
Where are those major savings? I am not buying it. Sure you can use the same facilities for training and athletic therapy, and save a bit on shared services but its not nearly the huge savings people think it is.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The benefits and cost savings of having the Moose play in Winnipeg are so overstated.

Yes, playing in your own barn does allow for savings
Yes, there is some consolidation of support departments
Yes, it makes your training camps a lot more collaborative between levels

However, a lot of this is way overblown. Call ups and downs are insignificant, especially considering either the Moose or the Jets are on the road - they aren't in town together a lot.

It makes far more sense to move the Moose to a market where they can actually turn a profit, they certainly aren't in Winnipeg right now.

The WHL will be a success in Winnipeg. It may draw from a similar price point as AHL, but it is a completely different product.

Most major league cities do not support minor league teams in the same sport as strongly. The WHL is the top tier of amateur hockey in North America - it's a different experience from a fan point of view.

I think the Moose will be out of Winnipeg within 5 years if not sooner.

Reactions: Guardian17

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
The benefits and cost savings of having the Moose play in Winnipeg are so overstated.

Yes, playing in your own barn does allow for savings
Yes, there is some consolidation of support departments
Yes, it makes your training camps a lot more collaborative between levels

However, a lot of this is way overblown. Call ups and downs are insignificant, especially considering either the Moose or the Jets are on the road - they aren't in town together a lot.

It makes far more sense to move the Moose to a market where they can actually turn a profit, they certainly aren't in Winnipeg right now.

The WHL will be a success in Winnipeg. It may draw from a similar price point as AHL, but it is a completely different product.

Most major league cities do not support minor league teams in the same sport as strongly. The WHL is the top tier of amateur hockey in North America - it's a different experience from a fan point of view.

I think the Moose will be out of Winnipeg within 5 years if not sooner.
I think benefits are undervalued. There was an article on Morrissey a while back that highlighted the benefits which were mainly professionalism that came with being alongside the jets among many others.

I believe the moose players would go to many jets games as well.

I think it is key to development aspect of jets organization.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Thought: Is the benefit of the AHL affiliate being in Winnipeg overrated?

I don't think it's overrated, and I'm sure there are numerous benefits that True North sees that the public never sees, so it's hard for us to judge. And as long as TNSE sees those things as being a benefit, without losing your shirt financially running the Moose, the team will stay here IMO.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Thought: Is the benefit of the AHL affiliate being in Winnipeg overrated?
I don't think so. TN is heavily invested in real estate around Portage and Donald. Having another team there helps ensure the building/district is always busy. Could it be always busy without the Moose? Maybe, but I think less so.

Can TN charge higher rents to Sutton Place Hotel if they host all AHL visiting teams? I think so. Can TN charge higher rents to the restaurants in TN Square if there's guaranteed 90 hockey games per season compared to 45 games? I think so.

Lots of benefits to keeping the arena as busy as possible. I think keeping the Moose there is the best way to do that.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I don't think so. TN is heavily invested in real estate around Portage and Donald. Having another team there helps ensure the building/district is always busy. Could it be always busy without the Moose? Maybe, but I think less so.

Can TN charge higher rents to Sutton Place Hotel if they host all AHL visiting teams? I think so. Can TN charge higher rents to the restaurants in TN Square if there's guaranteed 90 hockey games per season compared to 45 games? I think so.

Lots of benefits to keeping the arena as busy as possible. I think keeping the Moose there is the best way to do that.

The quantity of events is definitely there. Scheduling "one-offs" instead of those 45(+) Moose games can have peaks and valleys, I suppose.

Edit: I wonder where an AHL hockey team ranks in terms of travelling personnel in the entertainment business. Also, how big is the Moose's impact on business downtown (quantity vs quality becomes the argument) and how many times does a Moose game actually stand in the way of a bigger event? So many variables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think benefits are undervalued. There was an article on Morrissey a while back that highlighted the benefits which were mainly professionalism that came with being alongside the jets among many others.

I believe the moose players would go to many jets games as well.

I think it is key to development aspect of jets organization.
How do they go to many Jets games?

You are not alongside the Jets very much at all. Look at the team schedules. The amount of time the 2 teams players spend together is negligible.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Currious what a season ticket package would be for a Winnipeg WHL team?
Thinking 3 seats of a half season would be aaffordable family entertainment for the winter

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Full STs

Brandon Wheat Kings as an idea:

Adult $498.75
Senior (65+) $446.25
Youth (13 - 17) $341.25
Child (6 - 12) $210

Calgary Hitman prices:

Adult $658 or $494
Senior $485 or $380
Student $380 or $342
Kid $342 or $228

Last edited:

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Full STs

Brandon Wheat Kings as an idea:

Adult $498.75
Senior (65+) $446.25
Youth (13 - 17) $341.25
Child (6 - 12) $210

Calgary Hitman prices:

Adult $658 or $494
Senior $485 or $380
Student $380 or $342
Kid $342 or $228
I this is really affordable...I can see Winnipeg really liking this.
The child pricing is fantastic...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This might be a dumb question - but - What about the Ticketmaster taxes? They are quite significant when buying single seats. Would you not save all of those if you bought STs? That would apply to Jets, Moose and Ice, presumably.

Sigh. I remember a time when the ticket price was the ticket price. You walked up to a box office and bought whatever tickets you wanted and the price you paid was printed on the ticket. :laugh:

Reactions: Spock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->