OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I heard some scuttlebutt around the Ft. Garry rinks that the Moose would move i to the new rink as well to free up the MTS Centre for more concerts. Take it for what it's worth, not sure it it came from Fettis or not. Maybe Jet can chime in.

From what Jet has said earlier in this thread it seems the new Ice owners have a close relationship to True North.

I could see the Moose playing in the new arena.

True North could reciprocate by making Bell MTS Place available for a Memorial Cup or a World Junior Tournament.

YoyiBear

Mar 12, 2018
Can the moose play in two arenas during the season?

Mts on weekend games and playoffs when attendance is higher than weekdays.

I've gone to a couple of low attendance games and mts feels empty.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A new 6000 seat arena might be the right size for both the Moose and the Ice. Or maybe 4000-5000 with the Moose playing some games at BMTSP.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Maybe we can get an OHL team also, Kenora basically belongs to us.

Was hoping for an ECHL team as well, seems awful that Moose players who get sent down have to go all the way to Jacksonville FL., I mean who wants to be in Florida in the winter!

Reactions: Laine Fan and GNP

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If they can put together a good team, they should draw fans. That's why Moose attendance has fallen off a cliff. People are sick of watching a **** team. Most people don't care about "player development". They don't go to the game to focus on our prospects, and draw up ****ing Corsi charts or whatever to post on HF Boards later. They want to be entertained and you know what entertains people? Seeing their team win more often than they lose. Consistently putting out a sub-standard product and expecting Winnipeggers to pay for it is typical of True North's attitude. The Moose can move to Timbuktu for all I care.

The Moose should have a few more AHL vets on the roster, guess that was what guys like Schilling were for. Anyone slagging the talent level of the Moose or AHL just has to look at how well Niku, Schilling and Nogier have played in their couple games, anyone actually think a WHL player could contribute like that. People to need to remember that very few WHL guys even make it to the AHL never mind the NHL! Don't get the demand for WHL to watch watered down junior hockey (best talent plays US college)

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If they can put together a good team, they should draw fans. That's why Moose attendance has fallen off a cliff. People are sick of watching a **** team. Most people don't care about "player development". They don't go to the game to focus on our prospects, and draw up ****ing Corsi charts or whatever to post on HF Boards later. They want to be entertained and you know what entertains people? Seeing their team win more often than they lose. Consistently putting out a sub-standard product and expecting Winnipeggers to pay for it is typical of True North's attitude. The Moose can move to Timbuktu for all I care.

Bombers might as well follow them too then.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In todays Free Press: Is Winnipeg hockey market too saturated for relocating WHL team to be successful?
Is Winnipeg hockey market too saturated for relocating WHL team to be successful?

excerpt:

Have you been to a game lately? Because if you have, you’ve no doubt noticed the alarming number of empty seats. The Moose are averaging just 4,114 fans per game through 10 home contests this season. Even those numbers have been inflated by a couple of hugely successful promotional nights which produced big spikes. I’ve been to a couple games where you’d have a hard time convincing me there were 2,000 people in the building, if that.
The 4,114 average is down more than 1,000 fans a game from the 5,277 who attended last year. And more than 1,500 a game from the 5,656 who were there a season earlier. And more than 3,000 a game from the 7,285 who welcomed the AHL club back in 2015. That’s an alarming trend.

The Manitoba Moose are only drawing an average of 4,114 fans per game this season, that's down more than 3,000 a game from the 7,285 who welcomed the AHL club back to the city in 2015.
To put it more bluntly, fewer Winnipeg hockey fans than ever are paying as little as $15 per ticket to see the future stars of the Jets skating on the same ice as the big club. That’s a steal, actually, to watch the likes of Sami Niku, Mason Appleton, Tucker Poolman, Eric Comrie and C.J. Suess, just to name a few. And yet it’s becoming an increasingly difficult sell.
And so how does anyone think the very same pool of potential customers is going to pay similar prices to watch an even lower level of hockey, with absolutely no connection to the main draw in town, and with a lineup of few actual prospects who will ever make a name for themselves at the highest level.

Reactions: purdy44 and GNP

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
In todays Free Press: Is Winnipeg hockey market too saturated for relocating WHL team to be successful?
Is Winnipeg hockey market too saturated for relocating WHL team to be successful?

excerpt:

Have you been to a game lately? Because if you have, you’ve no doubt noticed the alarming number of empty seats. The Moose are averaging just 4,114 fans per game through 10 home contests this season. Even those numbers have been inflated by a couple of hugely successful promotional nights which produced big spikes. I’ve been to a couple games where you’d have a hard time convincing me there were 2,000 people in the building, if that.
The 4,114 average is down more than 1,000 fans a game from the 5,277 who attended last year. And more than 1,500 a game from the 5,656 who were there a season earlier. And more than 3,000 a game from the 7,285 who welcomed the AHL club back in 2015. That’s an alarming trend.

The Manitoba Moose are only drawing an average of 4,114 fans per game this season, that's down more than 3,000 a game from the 7,285 who welcomed the AHL club back to the city in 2015.
To put it more bluntly, fewer Winnipeg hockey fans than ever are paying as little as $15 per ticket to see the future stars of the Jets skating on the same ice as the big club. That’s a steal, actually, to watch the likes of Sami Niku, Mason Appleton, Tucker Poolman, Eric Comrie and C.J. Suess, just to name a few. And yet it’s becoming an increasingly difficult sell.
And so how does anyone think the very same pool of potential customers is going to pay similar prices to watch an even lower level of hockey, with absolutely no connection to the main draw in town, and with a lineup of few actual prospects who will ever make a name for themselves at the highest level.

That's where the author makes their mistake. They're AHL players, on an AHL team, playing against AHL opponents. $15 might not be a "steal" to more than a few thousand people in Winnipeg.

And could the author show me where someone with $15.00 in their bank account can buy a Moose ticket? (That hasn't already been purchased)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe the plan is to get rid of the Moose who must be losing money hand over fist.
I think the Moose are close to break-even at an average of 4000 per game. And even if they lose money, there are major advantages, savings/economies of scale by having the team here...

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think the Moose are close to break-even at an average of 4000 per game. And even if they lose money, there are major advantages, savings/economies of scale by having the team here...
Could cannibalize ticket sales for jets games though.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
That's where the author makes their mistake. They're AHL players, on an AHL team, playing against AHL opponents. $15 might not be a "steal" to more than a few thousand people in Winnipeg.

And could the author show me where someone with $15.00 in their bank account can buy a Moose ticket? (That hasn't already been purchased)

Cheapest I can see for the Moose on TM is $29.00?. It's been a long time since Moose tickets were $15.

And people need to be careful for what they wish for. Keeping the Moose in Winnipeg might end up being the only thing that keeps a WHL team having a reasonable price like $15. Get rid of the Moose and the WHL team will see a gap and start charging to fill it. Cheapest tickets for the Oil Kings on TM are $23.50 ( high listed @ $28.50) and for the Hitman are $27.40 ( high listed @ $30.61 ) both cities without the AHL.

Sorry, but I'm not paying ~$100 to take the wife and 2 kids to a game to watch 17 year olds play.

Last edited:
Reactions: purdy44 and Spock

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

Two weeks ago I thought about going but a ticket was 37 dollars with fees. 29 +8

Reactions: purdy44 and Spock

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'd rather watch WHL than almost any other league. Although I am also primarily a Wheat Kings fan.

I'm more AHL after the Jets, took in a few Moose games last season and was thoroughly entertained, one of the games I watched was with Niku taking over the game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Cheapest I can see for the Moose on TM is $29.00?. It's been a long time since Moose tickets were $15.

And people need to be careful for what they wish for. Keeping the Moose in Winnipeg might end up being the only thing that keeps a WHL team having a reasonable price like $15. Get rid of the Moose and the WHL team will see a gap and start charging to fill it. Cheapest tickets for the Oil Kings on TM are $23.50 ( high listed @ $28.50) and for the Hitman are $27.40 ( high listed @ $30.61 ) both cities without the AHL.

Sorry, but I'm not paying ~$100 to take the wife and 2 kids to a game to watch 17 year olds play.
You can get your wife to a WHL game? That's impressive. To get mine to a Jets game I've got to make sure dinner and drinks are included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->