OT: Winnipeg Ice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Owners of the WHL’s Kootenay Ice are believed to be considering a plan to move their franchise to Winnipeg in time for the start of the 2019-20 season, sources have told the Free Press.

Winnipeg-based majority owner Greg Fettes and minority partner Matt Cockell, who also serves as Ice president and general manager, purchased the team in the summer of 2017 and have operated the Cranbrook, B.C.-based club since that time.

The Kootenay franchise, fifth in the Central Division with a record of 3-4-1-1 heading into Friday’s action, has been struggling to attract fans in recent seasons, and the WHL has been eyeing a return to the Winnipeg marketplace for the first time in more than 30 years, league sources say.

It is believed a new 5,000-seat facility would then be built in conjunction with the Rink Hockey Academy’s new training facility currently under construction at the west end of South Landing, just off McGillivray Boulevard. The facility is scheduled to be ready for use next spring.

Winnipeg could Ice another team

This article is behind a paywall, but, can be seen on twitter.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Ah, Nigel's old team. Don't know much else about them though, but it does seem a bit odd to try and jam another hockey team into our market. Especially after reading someone's post about Lemieux making a comment on the away games being more fun to play in front of bigger crowds. A notion that perhaps our Moose tickets aren't selling as well since the big team came back to town.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The last time there was a WHL team in Winnipeg... 1980 Winnipeg Warriors... they suffered from attendance issues and ended up moving. But back then, the ticket price difference between the Warriors and the Jets wasn't all that much, so I think people just decided to spend their money on the Jets. Today though, because there would be a huge price difference between the Jets and a WHL team , they might be a cheap alternative to the Jets, and actually get people out to watch. But with one cavate...they have to move the Moose somewhere else.

JMO, but you either have the AHL Moose or a WHL team... not both. You would be asking people to basically decide which minor team to support.

And unless things have changed, the WHL has never been a fan of having a team east of Brandon.

Reactions: RedBar

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If they are playing out of the MTS centre, I'd go to some games.

If they are playing out of the south-end, that's too far away for me to bother.

Personally, I like the idea of having a WHL team over an AHL team, but it is very convenient having our AHL team in the same city.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah I think the ideal situation for me would be NHL and WHL as well, though there are quite a few benefits to having the AHL team here of course.

Definite questions about this city supporting 3 teams, though I would love easier access to live WHL.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If they are playing out of the MTS centre, I'd go to some games.

If they are playing out of the south-end, that's too far away for me to bother.

Personally, I like the idea of having a WHL team over an AHL team, but it is very convenient having our AHL team in the same city.

WHL is far more exciting. It would be good for local kids to stay home awhile longer.

Given the salaries, it would be affordable and entertaining for fans.

I think there is room for all 3, but I would not be disappointed if we bumped up Tulsa, which plays out of a state of the art arena to the A.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
WHL is far more exciting. It would be good for local kids to stay home awhile longer.

Given the salaries, it would be affordable and entertaining for fans.

I think there is room for all 3, but I would not be disappointed if we bumped up Tulsa, which plays out of a state of the art arena to the A.
How many young guys are there that are making the W. "To keep them at home?" It's not like any other industry like building an electronic plant so there are local opportunities.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
No idea how you'd make it in this market going up as competition (of a sort) against the Jets and Moose.

I could almost see it as part of the TNSE umbrella - but not outside of it.

Reactions: GNP

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Weren't the Moose suppose to eventually move to Thunder Bay once a new rink was ready?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Hasn't this been a way to threaten municipalities to put up money to keep their teams where they are the last couple of times this has come up?

I remember the Lethbridge Hurricanes were pretty close to moving here and then Kris Versteeg bought a majority stake in the team and they stayed there. Then there was Prince George looking to move here with an arena built on the fairground land beside where the Iceplex is. I think True North themselves tried buying the Kootenay Ice with plans of a higher seating capacity at one of the rinks in the Iceplex but the ownership wanted something like 6-7 million while other teams were being sold for 1-2 million.

My opinion is that it's just posturing for whatever reason.

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only way I deem this as a good idea would be if the Moose weren't playing in Winnipeg and say Thunder Bay.

I think the better option would be to put them in either Selkirk, Winkler or Portage la Prairie if they were going to move the Kootaney Ice to Manitoba, which I don't think should happen. If Nanaimo had an arena that'd be a better decision but when Seattle gets an NHL team and nobody went to Thunderbirds/Silvertips games anymore they might likely move to Nanaimo or Wenatchee, which I don't think would happen.

If they were to come to Winnipeg they just can't play at Bell MTS Place. They'd have to do something like with the Vancouver Giants. If Edmonton/Calgary had AHL affiliates in their cities, in those circumstances then the Hitmen/Oil Kings would likely have to leave.

I'd say Thompson, but don't have to tell me why. But still, would love for them to get a team.

Like I said, Selkirk, Portage or Winkler are the better options here if they're going to bring the Ice to Manitoba. Selkirk would be my pick because it's the closest to Manitoba, they have a quality rink there, but they're going to have to fix it up a ton in order for it to hit CHL standards, but otherwise I think they're close. I believe they could sell out every game up in Selkirk. They'd probably rename the arena to 24/7 InTouch Centre.

The only rink I can think of in Winnipeg that'd suit the WHL would be Max Bell Centre.

Reactions: irunthepeg

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
The only way I deem this as a good idea would be if the Moose weren't playing in Winnipeg and say Thunder Bay.

I think the better option would be to put them in either Selkirk, Winkler or Portage la Prairie if they were going to move the Kootaney Ice to Manitoba, which I don't think should happen. If Nanaimo had an arena that'd be a better decision but when Seattle gets an NHL team and nobody went to Thunderbirds/Silvertips games anymore they might likely move to Nanaimo or Wenatchee, which I don't think would happen.

If they were to come to Winnipeg they just can't play at Bell MTS Place. They'd have to do something like with the Vancouver Giants. If Edmonton/Calgary had AHL affiliates in their cities, in those circumstances then the Hitmen/Oil Kings would likely have to leave.

I'd say Thompson, but don't have to tell me why. But still, would love for them to get a team.

Like I said, Selkirk, Portage or Winkler are the better options here if they're going to bring the Ice to Manitoba. Selkirk would be my pick because it's the closest to Manitoba, they have a quality rink there, but they're going to have to fix it up a ton in order for it to hit CHL standards, but otherwise I think they're close. I believe they could sell out every game up in Selkirk. They'd probably rename the arena to 24/7 InTouch Centre.

The only rink I can think of in Winnipeg that'd suit the WHL would be Max Bell Centre.

What? Max Bell? Are you wasted? Get this guy away from a key board. Problably the worst idea I heard all day!

Reactions: sipowicz

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Is no one reading past the headline? It says they would play out of a new facility that The Rink training centre is building kitty corner to IKEA (where Cavalia kept putting up their tent)

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Winkler and morden could support a team?
There has been a rumour for a few years that Winkler/Morden was being considered to get a WHL team... but an Arena would have to be built . By Boundry Trails between Winkler /Morden would be ideal.. but that is in The RM of Stanley not in Winkler or Morden and is Dry meaning you can get a beer...
The Pembina Valley is booming and hockey mad... it would do well..

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
There has been a rumour for a few years that Winkler/Morden was being considered to get a WHL team... but an Arena would have to be built . By Boundry Trails between Winkler /Morden would be ideal.. but that is in The RM of Stanley not in Winkler or Morden and is Dry meaning you can get a beer...
The Pembina Valley is booming and hockey mad... it would do well..
With the whole legal weed thing nowYou would probably have a pretty good catchment across the border as well. Lots of fracking workers.

as a sidenote is that fried chicken roadhouse still across the line?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad