Konstantin Koltsov or Krys Kolanos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens Fan

Oct 6, 2003
Pittsburgh PA
Visit site
Without a doubt Koltsov. he is unbelievably fast. Mario said he was the fastest player he has ever seen. He hasnt really found his scoring touch to the extent which he wants but he has improved his playmaking greatly. I think he is going to be the real deal. Of course this is a knowledgable biased fan.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
If I were a fantasy GM I'd favor Koltsov because of the concussion issues Kolanos has. Ive never seen him play but hockey is about more than just how fast you can skate.

If I were speculating I'd say Kolanos has top-end PPG potential whereas I'd peg Koltsov as a 60 point Sami Kapanen style player.. his scoring record in the AHL or NHL hasnt been impressive so far.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Stevex said:
If I were speculating I'd say Kolanos has top-end PPG potential whereas I'd peg Koltsov as a 60 point Sami Kapanen style player.. his scoring record in the AHL or NHL hasnt been impressive so far.

Koltsov is not a Kapanen type player. I dont think thats a very good comparison. Koltsov is a lot bigger, and way more physical/aggressive than Kapanen.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I am a little biased, so I'd go with Kolanos and hope he turns it around, because his potential is higher than Koltsov's.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I also have to admit my bias but Kolanos has the talent to be the Coyotes number one center in this league. Top end potential is 40 goals 40 assists. In terms of the concussion problems, I would comment that physically he's fine. I'm not so sure emotionally/mentally he's over the hit though and this is affecting his play and explains why he's on the farm.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Another horribly biased Pens fan who chooses Koltsov. A point not brought up is that Koltsov is looking good right now as far as establishing himself in the league and I believe, although my Kolanos knowledge is limited, that Kolanos still has yet to really establish himself in the league.

My thoughts on Koltsov are that he's a real wild card. He's shown several glimpses of amazing skill, and if he starts doing it consistently, look out. Who knows how high his potential is?

But, if anything, Koltsov can always be an effective shut down player. A third liner with a rigorous work ethic and blazing speed. But I really think he has a lot of offensive talent, he just needs to put it all together.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Alexei Kovalev said:
Koltsov is not a Kapanen type player. I dont think thats a very good comparison. Koltsov is a lot bigger, and way more physical/aggressive than Kapanen.
But also has lesser scoring abilities.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm a Pens fan, but I won't be biased.

Kolanos, health issues aside, is more of a sure thing offensively.

Koltsov, though is a total wildcard. His work ethic is second to none and he gives 100% every shift. Moreover, when players target him and play physically against him, it gets him going even more.

At this point, however, I cannot project how Koltsov will develop. He is still new to NA and always seems to be trying to figure out and learn the NA game. We will soon see just how smart he is and in what ways: offensively, defensively, etc. He may end up being a John Madden-type player, he may end up being an offensive powerhouse, who knows?

But even if he just ends up being a high quality role player, well we all know that sometimes, especially in the playoffs, that may end up being even more valuable than an elite scorer.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
hbk said:
I also have to admit my bias but Kolanos has the talent to be the Coyotes number one center in this league. Top end potential is 40 goals 40 assists. In terms of the concussion problems, I would comment that physically he's fine. I'm not so sure emotionally/mentally he's over the hit though and this is affecting his play and explains why he's on the farm.

40 goals? not to many people score 40 goals these days.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
jmelm said:
I'm a Pens fan, but I won't be biased.

Kolanos, health issues aside, is more of a sure thing offensively.

Koltsov, though is a total wildcard. His work ethic is second to none and he gives 100% every shift. Moreover, when players target him and play physically against him, it gets him going even more.

At this point, however, I cannot project how Koltsov will develop. He is still new to NA and always seems to be trying to figure out and learn the NA game. We will soon see just how smart he is and in what ways: offensively, defensively, etc. He may end up being a John Madden-type player, he may end up being an offensive powerhouse, who knows?

But even if he just ends up being a high quality role player, well we all know that sometimes, especially in the playoffs, that may end up being even more valuable than an elite scorer.

Superb post jmelm.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Alexei Kovalev said:
I would have to agree. Koltsov's offensive skills are underated though. Hes just got to slow down a bit.
Yeah. Remember what he was like last season? He was all over the place, and not in a good way. His work ethic was his biggest enemy. He's definitely toned it down (Fata too), and he's playing with his head up and setting up his linemates left and right.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
jl.roberts said:
I'll go with the Kolanos. If I was Don Waddell, Krys would be on my team right now. Kolanos and Heatley could be incredible together.

Didnt they play together on some powerhouse team as kids? What a pairing that would have been to watch.

I should have mentioned in my first post I havent seen Koltsov, just going by impressions and considered him a Sami Kapanen speedster type.

Btw MrKnowNothing, Kolanos did establish himself pretty well in his first season.. he made the team straight out of college and was the third line checking center. When you watched him, he clearly had the potential to be much more but the coach wanted him to learn to be a complete player with good defensive skills. Kolanos basically made first Letowski then later Handzus expendable and was pencilled in as the No.2 center for his 2nd season before the Varada hit.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Kolanos needs to grow up. When he does he will be nice to have around. Two different players really but maybe that is the point.

keep in mind that the NHL likely stopped being a fun game the second he was hit by Varada. At the age when most of us are just starting their first job and buying our first car he had to deal with the aftermath of possibly never playing a game he loved again. It's a huge reality check and one that I don't think where its easy to just shrug off and pretend it didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad