News Article: Konecny, Sanheim, Lindblom, and Patrick since January

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Can't really compare Patrick and Lindblom, one's a center, one's a "mucker" LW.

Lindblom has embraced his role and fills it at a high level, ask him to drive play and he'd be a "fail," ask him to complement players like Couts and Voracek and he excels, and I suspect he'd be nearly as effective matched with Patrick.

TK played well when he was matched with Couts b/c Couts covered for his deficiencies, JVR has the same issue (different style of play, but both need to be carried by a two way center). As Patrick, Frost and Rubtsov mature, all three are smart, two way centers who'll be able to cover for an one dimensional winger.

Patrick is still a work in progress, he's playing with more aggression, and he's still doing a good job of limiting HD chances against when he's on the ice b/c of his instincts and willingness to play a two way game. But the finish isn't quite there yet, he needs more strength and game experience.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick hasn't been better than Lindblom in any way shape or form.
Wrong.

Since the Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek line was put together on 1/12/19, Patrick has one more point, in one less game, while playing with FAR worse teammates.

Since that point, Lindbloms linemates have been the two highest scoring players on the team, meanwhile Patrick mostly played with Laughton and Simmonds.

Patrick has been better but Lindblom gets more attention because his line has been so good, thanks to Couturier and Voracek going nuts.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Lindblom just drives play period.

Lindblom CF% with Couturier (300 minutes) 52.33%

Lindblom CF% without Couturier (456 mins)
51.73%

with Voracek (395 mins) 49.55%
without Voracek (315 mins) 53.9%

with Patrick (230 mins) 50.0%
without Patrick (449 mins) 52.84%

There are two guys on the team boosting Lindblom's CF% with over 100 minutes played with:

w/Gudas (216 mins) 54.43%
wo/Gudas (509 mins) 51.78%

w/Konecny (106 mins) 59.81%
wo/Konecny (669 mins) 50.58%

Lindblom is boosted by Ghost, but only marginally so, like with Couturier. He's gotten a big boost from Giroux, but only 81 mins.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Cool.

Now do actual scoring results.

28 points each, but Patrick has played 7 less games and with FAR inferior linemates.

Patrick has been better.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Wrong.

Since the Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek line was put together on 1/12/19, Patrick has one more point, in one less game, while playing with FAR worse teammates.

Since that point, Lindbloms linemates have been the two highest scoring players on the team, meanwhile Patrick mostly played with Laughton and Simmonds.

Patrick has been better but Lindblom gets more attention because his line has been so good, thanks to Couturier and Voracek going nuts.

No, he hasn't been better in any way shapre or form. Even in their raw scoring chances, which look similar. Lindblom has far more primary assists.

Lindblom is lifting the play of almost all his teammates. Patrick isn't lifting the play of a single teammate this year.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom can't drive play, he's too slow and not as slick as Couts when it comes to zone entries.

His gift is going into the corners and coming out with the puck, and fighting for it in a crowd and getting it to a linemate - then he heads to the net and tries to set a screen and deflect shoots and pounce on rebounds.

What surprised me this year is how strong he's become, it doesn't look like he bulked up, rather between 20-22 physical maturity has given him a lot of natural strength and he knows how to use it. He's easily the best Flyer along the boards and in the corners.

Reactions: flyersfan187

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This is a good example of advanced stats being overvalued.

Well, no it isn't. Every single form of analysis shows Lindblom to be the better player, very often by far the better player. When you get deeper into the context of who plays with whom and how scoring chances rack up, it's clear that Lindblom has been a clear difference maker.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If you're going to be this obnoxious and argumentative you should at least try to avoid being ignorant as well.[/QUOTE]

Are you new here? Might have a better shot at proving Hakstol was a good coach

Reactions: ybnvs

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I wouldn't compare Lindblom and Patrick at all. Lindblom is already a solid top 9 wing while I think he could be a fixture in the top 6 for a long time. Patrick has shown the potential that he can be a top center if he puts it all together which his drive and attitude seem to be there for him to max out on his potential. And Patrick is also a big two way center that will probably take longer to develop because center is a much more important/difficult position then wing. TK on the other hand needs to play the game more simple at times because he still gets wild with those passes out there instead of just chipping it in when needed. TK is a top notch pest with speed that can score already.

I really like all the young players on this team right now and what they bring to the table. And having smart two way centers will help the wingers on this team reach their potential as well.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick hasn't been better than Lindblom in any way shape or form.

No, he hasn't been better in any way shapre or form.

Every single form of analysis shows Lindblom to be the better player, very often by far the better player.

Over the past two months Patrick has scored more points, in less games, with less icetime per game, and with far worse linemates.

"Wait no, that doesn't count!"

:laugh:

I guess scoring, context, and actually watching games aren't forms of analysis. Better to exclusively stick to corsi and goals above replacement from now on.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Goals above replacement
Lindblom 4.8
Patrick 3.5

xGF
Lindblom +9.6
Patrick -1.9
Are these numbers over the whole season, or just from mid January? Just wondering since Patrick since Jan 14th has produced very well compared to very poorly before that.

Would be nice to see his Oct-Jan 13th numbers, then his Jan 14th-onward numbers.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If I could only have one player in the lineup tonight, Patrick or Lindblom, I'd pick Patrick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->