News Article: Konecny, Sanheim, Lindblom, and Patrick since January

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So I dove in on how these four are doing in my most recent THW article. Basically, the Flyers aren't going to make the playoffs. But the team they've been for the last 25 games--and 18-5-2 team--might be closer to who they really are than the 16-23-6 team that preceded it.

Huge Turnarounds for Patrick, Konecny, Sanheim & Lindblom

Here's what 6, 11, 19, and 23 were doing through the first 45 games, and what the'y done since.

Production Before Jan. 14:

PlayerGPGoalsAssistsPointsGoal PacePoint Pace
Sanheim454913724
Lindblom444812722
Patrick3856111124
Konecny451113242044
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Production Since Jan. 14:

PlayerGPGoalsAssistsPointsGoal PacePoint Pace
Sanheim25513181659
Lindblom2597162952
Patrick2489172758
Konecny25119203666
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's almost like they magically added a whole second line and top-pairing offensive defenseman in mid-January. Really good news, and if they can play to almost this level next season then this team is in the playoffs, period.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And that's while TK is being seriously misused.

Constantly getting jerked around the lineup and playing only 14min per game. Complete joke, but he still produces.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
And that's while TK is being seriously misused.

Constantly getting jerked around the lineup and playing only 14min per game. Complete joke, but he still produces.

Well, I'm not sure he's doing himself any favors. His production is incredible, but there are evenings where he just doesn't provide much no matter what line he's on (last night a good example). When he's not totally killing it, he's pretty much a straight-line north-south guy who is only effective as the guys trying to pass it to him on the rush. When that isn't working, he isn't generating.

Which is weird, because he's not at all averse to the fray, and he can definitely make offense for himself. He just doesn't do it every night.

That, to me, makes his production more amazing. He can be lethal even when he's kind of ineffective every other night and playing with Laughton and co. If he can nail down some consistency and get put with better linemates for good, he could be a 75+ point player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last 25 games:

Lindblom, Corsi 51.71%, SCF/CA 32.62/25.33, HDCF/CA 13.67/10.21
Sanheim Corsi 45.98%, SCF/CA 28.01/27.49, HDCF/CA 11.15/11.02
Patrick, Corsi 49.29%, SCF/CA 24.55/28.05, HDCF/CA 9.94/9.94
TK, Corsi 41.09%, SCF/CA 20.83/33.06, HDCF/CA 6.88/13.38

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Last 25 games: 18-5-2. Good thing Corsi is what we score games by.

The team is winning and the players are producing much better. But they're losing the corsi battle, so they clearly arent good.

I'm about as anti-advanced stats as you get, in terms of trying to use them to make serious player arguments without context, but they do capture certain narrow facets of a guy's game. I ignore Corsi almost entirely for defensemen unless it's egregiously bad, because that's so entirely dependent on usage in their case. For forwards...eh.

But I'll grant deadhead that 41% for Konecny. It's a little shading in the picture I was describing in my previous response to Striiker.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not just Corsi, I focus on scoring chances (and especially HD chances) - if the other team is getting more scoring chances, odds are if you're winning it's just luck, shooting percentage tends to regress to the mean.

Lindblom is playing great by any measure, when you look at the metrics, TK is awful, and dragging down Patrick.
The problem with TK isn't effort, I'm starting to think he just lacks instincts, though he really tanked after Gordon took over.

Over that stretch, only the Lindblom - Couts - Voracek line has played at a high level.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Konecny needs to find that extra gear .... IDK what it is ... confidence? to take the puck to the net and try to score more often. He can make skilled shots at high speed but just doesn't do it often enough.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm about as anti-advanced stats as you get, in terms of trying to use them to make serious player arguments without context, but they do capture certain narrow facets of a guy's game. I ignore Corsi almost entirely for defensemen unless it's egregiously bad, because that's so entirely dependent on usage in their case. For forwards...eh.

But I'll grant deadhead that 41% for Konecny. It's a little shading in the picture I was describing in my previous response to Striiker.

Im all for using any and all stats available. But they need to be used in context and understood. Its great to call out poor stats. But if the stat isnt reflective of the actual results over a prolonged period of time - it doesnt particularly matter.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Konecny needs to find that extra gear .... IDK what it is ... confidence? to take the puck to the net and try to score more often. He can make skilled shots at high speed but just doesn't do it often enough.

I want to see him cut inside a bit more actually.

He’s got a good shot, and skill to make some moves. I do wonder about having him on an off wing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK's defense is still below average in his 3rd season, and he's pretty useless in terms of corner and board play.

Flyers need another "Lindblom" to fill out the lines, you have to balance speed/scoring guys with the forwards who'll do the dirty work, fight for possession in the D-zone and back check, and go to the net and raise havoc and draw the defense to them in the O-zone.

Caps overpaid Oshie, but you could see last night how important he is, not just on offense, but doing the little things that help you win. That was one of those "win while the window is open" deals and worry about his declining years down the road.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Well, I'm not sure he's doing himself any favors. His production is incredible, but there are evenings where he just doesn't provide much no matter what line he's on (last night a good example). When he's not totally killing it, he's pretty much a straight-line north-south guy who is only effective as the guys trying to pass it to him on the rush. When that isn't working, he isn't generating.

Which is weird, because he's not at all averse to the fray, and he can definitely make offense for himself. He just doesn't do it every night.

That, to me, makes his production more amazing. He can be lethal even when he's kind of ineffective every other night and playing with Laughton and co. If he can nail down some consistency and get put with better linemates for good, he could be a 75+ point player.

As Jojo keeps hammering home, QoT is so important to a player's overall effectiveness. TK is not a guy who is going to carry a line; he doesn't elevate other players consistently like Lindblom, Couts or Giroux . It doesn't mean he is a net negative player, but he's not a play driver. I guess what I'm getting at is you can't put him on a line and expect the line to dominate, much like you could with any of the aforementioned players. Laughton is doing him no favors right now as his C -- they are actually getting destroyed in possession stats, if you follow that sort of thing.

He is also a very good individual player, as you mentioned, and particularly adept at getting into high scoring areas with the puck on his stick, which is why you wouldn't expect his Sh% to dip much south of 10% year to year.

He's a highly skilled player, but I think 75+ points is a bit much, particularly w/out 1PP time and he's not an amazing PP player, either. He's got 8 pp points but he's got some luck in those stats (Sh % is 26 on PP, league average is about 12-14%). I think his absolute top out would be 60-70 point range.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersfan187

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I want to see him cut inside a bit more actually.

He’s got a good shot, and skill to make some moves. I do wonder about having him on an off wing.
They tried that, TK is much better on the right.

TK is one of my favorites. I think putting him with a stable center, in a defined role will make him a much better player. He's capable, but has been juggled so often I expect it's hard for him to get in a rhythm and grove. If there are lines to be juggled, inevitably, it's often TK whom loses out in the shuffle.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

TK is one of my favorites. I think putting him with a stable center, in a defined role will make him a much better player. He's capable, but has been juggled so often I expect it's hard for him to get in a rhythm and grove. If there are lines to be juggled, inevitably, it's often TK whom loses out in the shuffle.

Yeah it’s strange. He’s definitely the one thrown the most around the lineup.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

We saw exactly that last year for the second half of the season.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Last 25 games:

Lindblom, Corsi 51.71%, SCF/CA 32.62/25.33, HDCF/CA 13.67/10.21
Sanheim Corsi 45.98%, SCF/CA 28.01/27.49, HDCF/CA 11.15/11.02
Patrick, Corsi 49.29%, SCF/CA 24.55/28.05, HDCF/CA 9.94/9.94
TK, Corsi 41.09%, SCF/CA 20.83/33.06, HDCF/CA 6.88/13.38
What’s the team overall.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Love me some TK...but his weakness is losing the puck on the boards. Prolly has alot to do with his corsi

To me Patrick has a bit of rookie JVRitis. Seems to make a lot of great plays and lose it at the last second. Fully confident he will develop more finish.

Lindblom has been very impressive to me the last while. He needs skill to play with but he is strong on the boards. He's like Raffi but without stone hands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad