Speculation: Konecny and Dermott

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I have high hopes for Dermott, although I wasn't impressed with his game last year.

I thought he looked better in his rookie season, but maybe Babcock employed him in softer assignments then?

Not sure why I see so many line-ups with him playing RD?

If he's good enough he should replace Muzzin next year.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dermott by a wide margin over Konecny, guys that get results like he has in the NHL even in bottom pairing usage usually turn into top pairing dmen, Konecny is a good player but something that we have an abundance of and that's less valuable than what Dermott is likely to become.

value comparison aside, how much of an upgrade does Konecny really provide to this lineup when everyone is healthy? Is he better than Hyman, Johnsson, Mikheyev on the left or Marner, Nylander, Kapanen on the right? Probably, but its a pretty marginal difference, plus the Leafs have prospect depth on the wings - Bracco, Korshkov look like they're close to ready

I guess it's your prerogative, but why go looking for things to anguish over?

Reactions: Gary Nylund and kb

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
34 other guys were picked before Aho as well. Its a waste of energy getting riled up about what ifs from years ago.
Doesn't work like that. Players go where or close to where they're projected to go at the time of the draft. If a player gets picked 1 or a couple spots after your pick and ends up being a superstar, it hurts and some can't help but criticize scouts or the GM for missing. It's natural.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I have high hopes for Dermott, although I wasn't impressed with his game last year.

I thought he looked better in his rookie season, but maybe Babcock employed him in softer assignments then?

Dermott's played RD in the past, and if Sandin stays once Dermott returns, it's the logical choice to keep Sandin at LD and have Dermott on the right.

Reactions: kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hindsight, I’m wondering if we’d have been better off with Werenski and Aho at their combined cap hit vs Marner and Dermott, or if the rebuild would have taken off as quickly without Marner.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
If you want regret, look at Boston and their 3 picks in a row before Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Thank god for that blunder, imagine that team facing us first round forever. We can at least look forward to their core aging
they wouldn't be facing us in the first round because they'd be winning the division every year. Wow they'd be a powerhouse

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Even though Dermott has been the better player up to the end of last season, Konecny’s hot start this year and Dermott being on IR means this was a total failure by the leafs. I’m so disappointed now.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I fully admit I wanted Konecny, and was disappointed when the Leafs traded down.

That said, Dermott is looking pretty good so I really can't complain too much.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe it is way to early to tell, Dermott has progressed nicely as well. When you look at the need for Leafs, Dermott becomes a better draft pick based on the need.

I see him developing into a steady #2-#3 defenceman for the Leafs. That's a win for the Leafs.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

I agree.

IMO, Dermott is the only lefty who makes a near seamless transition to the right side. Rielly and Muzzin are both more noticeable.

Still need more time on Sandin but Dermott seems like the more logical choice if they’re in fact the third pair for the rest of the year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How would trading down from 4th be a bad move?

8 + 34 +38 was the deal on the table, that gives us Werenski/Rantanen/Provorov, Konecny at 24, and probably both Aho and Dermottwith the 2 early 2nds.

In a deep (2003 or 2015 level) draft, you always trade down. Going from 15 to 18 and picking up a 2nd that gets you a 1st round level talent because of the draft depth is a no-brainer.
This is such flawed logic its ridiculous. Firslty, no, you don't always trade down. Should Edmonton have traded down? Because with the logic you displayed here they should have.

Trading down from 4 is a bad move if you believe there are 3 sure things in the draft, and 1 of them slips to you, which is what happened.

As for Konecny/Dermott, Konecny was the pick if he wasn't traded down which was a contentious dispute and contributed to the belief one, we couldnt have two co-GMs like Shanny was doing, which is why Lou was brought in to restore order and two, why Hunter and Dubas were highly unlikely to ever work togeather if one was in the bosses seat. It also may be what alters how we go with the Kessel discussions considering he likely would have been viewed as our Kapanen. Now, Dermott is doing well when playing in his role and seems pretty ready for a top 4 role.

Reactions: Eye Test

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
W As long as dermotts shoulder doesn’t turn him
Into dehaan it’s a clear win over konecny.

Aho is a whole other story.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hindsight, I’m wondering if we’d have been better off with Werenski and Aho at their combined cap hit vs Marner and Dermott, or if the rebuild would have taken off as quickly without Marner.
Not sure it would have taken off.

And with Babcock, Aho would be on the 4th line wing, and Werenski would be Dermott.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure it would have taken off.

And with Babcock, Aho would be on the 4th line wing, and Werenski would be Dermott.

No, Werenski came out of the box as a pretty polished defenseman. Curious about whether or not Aho could have matched Marner’s level though. I doubt he would have received the early hype. And if we didn’t have the hype, would we have landed Tavares?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
No, Werenski came out of the box as a pretty polished defenseman. Curious about whether or not Aho could have matched Marner’s level though. I doubt he would have received the early hype. And if we didn’t have the hype, would we have landed Tavares?

Happy with what we have as everyone else should be. Not to many teams in the NHL can boast a young team like ours with many proven stars!!!!

Enjoy it people.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You may be right about Werenski, but Babcock's history with most young D suggests he doesn't trust them at all. So he continually shelters them even when they dominate that competition like Dermott did in his rookie year. The issue becomes that those D aren't ready to face top lines because they never have, and consequently look overmatched....and then Babcock runs to the press whining about lack of depth.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't know when you guys are concerned about Koncecny when Sebatian Aho was literally taken the pick right after we picked Dermott. I would much rather have Aho than Dermott, but at this point we need defenceman so I'm not dissapointed in this pick as long as Dermott becomes a solid top 4 dman.

I'm also imagining our top 9 right now would be:
Aho - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - JT - Marner
AJ - Kerfoot - Kap

:)

Just a quick estimation without Going to check but thats over $60 million right there isn’t it?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sorry this logic is so flawed that the Leafs bypassed Konecky at 24 so they could take Dermot at 34.
The Leafs traded the 24 pick (bypassing Koneckey) for pick 29 and 61. The Leafs were hoping that Larsson was going to be available but the Ducks took Larsson at 27.
Then the Leafs traded down again moving out of the 29 position to draft 34 and 68.

So bypassing 24 got eventually picks 34, 61, and 68.

Of course if all teams were smart the premier pick was Aho. But Dermott is going to be fine player But maybe the LHD that proved to the most value was Vince Dunn was was selected 56th

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Dermotts development continues and he solidifies hi.self as a top four D man than that's as valuable as a 2nd line level winger. The fact that the Leafs got a couple.extra assets put of it is just icing on the cake.

I'd expect Dubas to always continue to lean towards moving Back every time the Leafs have a pick in that 20-30 range.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You may be right about Werenski, but Babcock's history with most young D suggests he doesn't trust them at all. So he continually shelters them even when they dominate that competition like Dermott did in his rookie year. The issue becomes that those D aren't ready to face top lines because they never have, and consequently look overmatched....and then Babcock runs to the press whining about lack of depth.

I stand by my belief that the Wings failure to develop good D the past ten years is more of the fact that they didn’t have good prospects than a coaching failure. Between 2005 and 2015 when Babcock got there they drafted a total of 6 defensemen with top 100 picks. That’s not a ton of quality young defensemen inputted into the system during that time.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
34 other guys were picked before Aho as well. Its a waste of energy getting riled up about what ifs from years ago.

This is of course true but then TO hasn't won a Cup in 52 years and that doesn't need to be discussed either, I guess.

We supposedly had the best talent evaluator of any NHL team going into that 2015 draft, Hunter, yet far better players than Dermott were taken after TO's 2nd round choice. It's these kind of mistakes that has TO still looking for the next Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->